Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

shameless self-promotion

Started by Tamyka Bell · · Last activity · 45 posts · 2,777 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
8 November 2005
Last activity
25 November 2005
Original author
Tamyka Bell
Posts
45
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,777
Views / 30 days
24

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 45
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tamyka Bell said:

    140km? Pffft, I'm gonna run that next year, either 2/3 or 9/10
    September. And then do a 20 and a smidgey km cool down.

    You'll be taking two whole days to do it? Sheesh ... you slacker!

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

  2. Stuart Lamble said:


    Tamyka Bell said:

    140km? Pffft, I'm gonna run that next year, either 2/3 or 9/10
    September. And then do a 20 and a smidgey km cool down.

    You'll be taking two whole days to do it? Sheesh ... you slacker!

    Nah, it goes from dawn Saturday through to Sunday, the idea being that
    fatigued runners get lost in the bush at night, and then when they can't
    find their way out, they dehydrate all Sunday as well... I suppose...
    Winner this year was just under 18 hours, so yeah, I'm expecting to take
    more than 24 hrs.

    Tam

  3. Tamyka Bell said:

    Hi all,

    I've put a post on my blog about starvation mode training. If you're
    into nutrition and training methods, please feel free to read this post,
    make a contribution, submit links, whatever; I'd greatly appreciate
    anything you've got.

    http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/

    Some data for this.

    Today I skipped breakfast (lazy .. slept in!) then went to the local
    velodrone to do some coaching & training. It was raining so we did
    theory inside, but I did do about 1hr in E1.

    I got a blood sugar tester last week - and used it today.
    Before I left home, 6.1mmol/l
    after I got back ~1hr E1 only - 6.4mmol/l

    My finger is turning into a pincusion, but I'm getting real data. I
    want to see what happens to blood sugar levels on longer rides and
    intense training (and racing), and what difference sports drinks make.
    Will log my data on the aboc website when I have something interesting
    to show for it.

  4. Bleve said:


    I got a blood sugar tester last week - and used it today.
    Before I left home, 6.1mmol/l
    after I got back ~1hr E1 only - 6.4mmol/l

    What did it cost and where did you get it? After soem discussion a month
    or so ago about the energy drop I get near the end of Sunday BR's I'm
    interested in getting some data on myself for blood sugar levels.

    DaveB

  5. quote='DaveB'Bleve said:


    I got a blood sugar tester last week - and used it today.
    Before I left home, 6.1mmol/l
    after I got back ~1hr E1 only - 6.4mmol/l

    What did it cost and where did you get it? After soem discussion a month
    or so ago about the energy drop I get near the end of Sunday BR's I'm
    interested in getting some data on myself for blood sugar levels.

    DaveB[/QUOTE]Any diabetic blood sugar monitor will do, but I ain't got no idea where to get one.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jono L said:

    Any diabetic blood sugar monitor will do, but I ain't got no idea where
    to get one.

    Pharmacies.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  7. DaveB said:
    Bleve said:


    I got a blood sugar tester last week - and used it today.
    Before I left home, 6.1mmol/l
    after I got back ~1hr E1 only - 6.4mmol/l

    What did it cost and where did you get it? After soem discussion a month
    or so ago about the energy drop I get near the end of Sunday BR's I'm
    interested in getting some data on myself for blood sugar levels.

    Any chemist (pharmacy) will sell them. Anywhere from $60 to $90 or so,
    including lancets and test strips - they're diabetic glocosameters. I
    got an
    accu-chek (sic) 'advantage'. They all work .... They're around the
    same size as a stopwatch and most have a small pouch that will fit in a
    jersey pocket easily.

    After Glenvale on Sunday, where I spend the vast majority of an hour in
    E3 or above, I was 6.1mmol/l - which is good! No bonk ... I'm waiting
    to get a bonk and then see what it's dropped down to (but am not going
    to provoke it!)

  8. Tam said:

    That "Dr" title is a big clue as to her ownership of a L'una and
    my failure to as yet acquire one...

    Not necessarily. There are plenty of doctors around here who'd be hard pressed to afford a bike like that.

    See what happens when you do astrology instead of real work at uni...

    I'm sure if you lust after her enough, you'll get her in the end 🙂

    Cheers,

    Suzy

  9. Tam said:

    That "Dr" title is a big clue as to her ownership of a L'una and
    my failure to as yet acquire one...

    Not necessarily. There are plenty of doctors around here who'd be hard pressed to afford a bike like that.

    See what happens when you do astrology instead of real work at uni...

    I'm sure if you lust after her enough, you'll get her in the end 🙂

    Cheers,

    Suzy

  10. suzyj said:

    See what happens when you do astrology instead of real work at uni...

    Hey, isn't that what TimC is doing?

    (All you Melbourne types wanted to say this, but *you're* in the same city
    as him).

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of
    cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses" - Elwood Blues

  11. On 2005-11-21, Random Data (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:
    suzyj said:

    See what happens when you do astrology instead of real work at uni...

    Hey, isn't that what TimC is doing?

    Yep, I work with some of the astrologers to which she is referring.

    Quoted message said:

    (All you Melbourne types wanted to say this, but *you're* in the same city
    as him).

    Don't worry. I shall be up in Sydney sometime. I can track you down.

    --
    TimC
    "Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will
    [censored] on your computer." - Jeff Wilder

  12. Random Data said:
    suzyj said:

    See what happens when you do astrology instead of real work at uni...

    Hey, isn't that what TimC is doing?

    They teach astrology at Uni? You've got to be kidding me.

    Theo

  13. Theo Bekkers said:
    Random Data said:
    suzyj said:

    See what happens when you do astrology instead of real work at uni...

    Hey, isn't that what TimC is doing?

    They teach astrology at Uni? You've got to be kidding me.

    Right next to the witchcraft department, I believe.

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

  14. Stuart Lamble said:

    Theo Bekkers wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    They teach astrology at Uni? You've got to be kidding me.

    Right next to the witchcraft department, I believe.

    I got 35 hits on astrology on the UWA website. I was afraid to delve deeper.

    Theo

  15. On 2005-11-22, Stuart Lamble (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:
    Theo Bekkers said:
    Random Data said:

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:06:55 +1100, suzyj wrote:

    > See what happens when you do astrology instead of real work at uni...

    Hey, isn't that what TimC is doing?

    They teach astrology at Uni? You've got to be kidding me.

    Teach astrology? We don't teach astrology hear. But I am doing my
    PhD in it.

    Quoted message said:

    Right next to the witchcraft department, I believe.

    We have a circus arts degree.

    --
    TimC
    -o)
    /\\ The penguins are coming...
    _\_v the penguins are coming...

  16. "TimC" wrote -

    Quoted message said:

    Teach astrology? We don't teach astrology hear. But I am doing my
    PhD in it. Right next to the witchcraft department, I believe.

    We have a circus arts degree.


    Moving right along but sticking with the A's we have the japanese Astronomy
    student in my bunch called Hiro, who is delightful and cheerfully admits he
    would much rather stay here and continue doing further degrees (its a long
    way to go to vet science) and the only thing I can see likely to intefere
    with that plan is his tendency to devastatingly sprint out of the sun and
    rip the legs off the rest of hubbards on week day mornings. He is discreet
    enough not to shout banzai but his intentions are clear.

    But for that regrettable tendancy we think Tokyo's loss is Sydney's gain and
    his studies in Astronomy are helpful is telling us about when the alignment
    of the planets will assist us in our next race - and the atmosphere is much
    better here for observing heavenly bodies in their orbits than back in the
    land of Nippon.

    Need to exercise some judgement about when to unleash that sprint though
    boyo.

    Not sure about the numbers of practicing witches in our bunch though -
    clearly we need to add some questions to the Sydney Cycling membership
    renewal form.

    best, Andrew

  17. Andrew Price said:

    Moving right along but sticking with the A's we have the japanese Astronomy
    student in my bunch called Hiro

    His surname wouldn't happen to be Protagonist, by any chance, would it?

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

  18. Andrew Price said:

    thing I can see likely to intefere with that plan is his tendency to
    devastatingly sprint out of the sun and rip the legs off the rest of
    hubbards on week day mornings.

    I have no idea what the above means. Is there a course in communications at
    your uni?

    Theo

  19. Andrew Price said:

    thing I can see likely to intefere with that plan is his tendency to
    devastatingly sprint out of the sun and rip the legs off the rest of
    hubbards on week day mornings.

    I have no idea what the above means. Is there a course in communications at
    your uni?

    Theo

  20. TimC said:
    Quoted message said:

    Right next to the witchcraft department, I believe.

    We have a circus arts degree.

    Err, no TimC, this would be a serious degree.
    Probably involves some performance, just like a music degree,
    Would also involve some basic science like physics, etc (cannonball, net
    stringing etc)
    And most probably circus management (shouldn't be much difference to
    managing your local leages or rissole club really,
    plus a logistics component (really important for a circus)

    Reminds me of the time that Thoams Cook wanted to organise a three day
    bicycle ride from Sydney to Canberra for over three bicyclists. Told
    them it was impossible; just not enough hotel/motel beds in any location
    between places.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.