Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Shaping a 2006 vintage Chorus Front Der

Started by D'ohBoy · · Last activity · 6 posts · 654 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
30 May 2008
Last activity
31 May 2008
Original author
D'ohBoy
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
654
Views / 30 days
14

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi!

    I have a 2006 (non-QS) front der that I would like to reshape because
    my rain bike flexes a bit too much for the width of the cage to
    provide rub-free service in all gears on the big ring.

    To be honest, I cracked that little tab that bridges the front of the
    cage on the current der on the bike and now I am ordering a fresh one,
    which I would like to reshape, but, I am hopeful, not break.

    Any suggestions on widening the cage at the front without fracturing/
    damaging it - again?

    Thanks,

    D'ohBoy

  2. D'ohBoy said:

    Hi!

    I have a 2006 (non-QS) front der that I would like to reshape because
    my rain bike flexes a bit too much for the width of the cage to
    provide rub-free service in all gears on the big ring.

    To be honest, I cracked that little tab that bridges the front of the
    cage on the current der on the bike and now I am ordering a fresh one,
    which I would like to reshape, but, I am hopeful, not break.

    Any suggestions on widening the cage at the front without fracturing/
    damaging it - again?

    Thanks,

    D'ohBoy

    On the front of my front derailleurs the outside plate bends in a
    little bit. I take a set of pliers and straighten that as much as
    possible. Clamping it in a machinists vise before installation would
    also work. I try usually without much success in bending the front of
    the inside plate so it is straighter and closer to the frame. But the
    inside plate at the front has folds and such in it and resists much
    bending. 1998 Chorus and 2000+ Veloce double derailleurs. Beauty of
    Campagnolo is its so easy to trim the front derailleur that you can
    make any front derailleur work just fine.

  3. email hidden said:
    D'ohBoy said:

    Hi!

    Quoted message said:

    I have a 2006 (non-QS) front der that I would like to reshape because
    my rain bike flexes a bit too much for the width of the cage to
    provide rub-free service in all gears on the big ring.

    Quoted message said:

    To be honest, I cracked that little tab that bridges the front of the
    cage on the current der on the bike and now I am ordering a fresh one,
    which I would like to reshape, but, I am hopeful, not break.

    Quoted message said:

    Any suggestions on widening the cage at the front without fracturing/
    damaging it - again?

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks,

    Quoted message said:

    D'ohBoy

    On the front of my front derailleurs the outside plate bends in a
    little bit. I take a set of pliers and straighten that as much as
    possible. Clamping it in a machinists vise before installation would
    also work. I try usually without much success in bending the front of
    the inside plate so it is straighter and closer to the frame. But the
    inside plate at the front has folds and such in it and resists much
    bending. 1998 Chorus and 2000+ Veloce double derailleurs. Beauty of
    Campagnolo is its so easy to trim the front derailleur that you can
    make any front derailleur work just fine.

  4. email hidden said:
    D'ohBoy said:

    Hi!

    Quoted message said:

    I have a 2006 (non-QS) front der that I would like to reshape because
    my rain bike flexes a bit too much for the width of the cage to
    provide rub-free service in all gears on the big ring.

    Quoted message said:

    To be honest, I cracked that little tab that bridges the front of the
    cage on the current der on the bike and now I am ordering a fresh one,
    which I would like to reshape, but, I am hopeful, not break.

    Quoted message said:

    Any suggestions on widening the cage at the front without fracturing/
    damaging it - again?

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks,

    Quoted message said:

    D'ohBoy

    On the front of my front derailleurs the outside plate bends in a
    little bit. I take a set of pliers and straighten that as much as
    possible. Clamping it in a machinists vise before installation would
    also work. I try usually without much success in bending the front of
    the inside plate so it is straighter and closer to the frame. But the
    inside plate at the front has folds and such in it and resists much
    bending. 1998 Chorus and 2000+ Veloce double derailleurs. Beauty of
    Campagnolo is its so easy to trim the front derailleur that you can
    make any front derailleur work just fine.

    Okey, well, it appears that in the case of this bike that I CANNOT
    make the front der work just fine. Installed via the instructions,
    but just couldn't get a rub free coupla rear cogs when on the big ring
    in the front. It would rub no matter whether I trim-clicked up or
    down. Maybe I am too sensitive? It would be moderately rubbing on
    the outside plate so I would click down and it would rub a lot.

    Played with the barrel adjuster, messed with the install...

    No dice. Maybe my cage got smooshed somewhere between Vincenza and
    Madison? I guess the question is really not worth asking cuz the der
    is busted anyway.

    Thanks for your help, Russell.

    Peter

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    D'ohBoy said:

    I have a 2006 (non-QS) front der that I would like to reshape because
    my rain bike flexes a bit too much for the width of the cage to
    provide rub-free service in all gears on the big ring.
    To be honest, I cracked that little tab that bridges the front of the
    cage on the current der on the bike and now I am ordering a fresh one,
    which I would like to reshape, but, I am hopeful, not break.
    Any suggestions on widening the cage at the front without fracturing/
    damaging it - again?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted post said:

    On the front of my front derailleurs the outside plate bends in a
    little bit. I take a set of pliers and straighten that as much as
    possible. Clamping it in a machinists vise before installation would
    also work. I try usually without much success in bending the front of
    the inside plate so it is straighter and closer to the frame. But the
    inside plate at the front has folds and such in it and resists much
    bending. 1998 Chorus and 2000+ Veloce double derailleurs. Beauty of
    Campagnolo is its so easy to trim the front derailleur that you can
    make any front derailleur work just fine.

    D'ohBoy said:

    Okey, well, it appears that in the case of this bike that I CANNOT
    make the front der work just fine. Installed via the instructions,
    but just couldn't get a rub free coupla rear cogs when on the big ring
    in the front. It would rub no matter whether I trim-clicked up or
    down. Maybe I am too sensitive? It would be moderately rubbing on
    the outside plate so I would click down and it would rub a lot.
    Played with the barrel adjuster, messed with the install...
    No dice. Maybe my cage got smooshed somewhere between Vincenza and
    Madison? I guess the question is really not worth asking cuz the der
    is busted anyway.
    Thanks for your help, Russell.

    Madison WI?
    If so, you're near a Campagnolo Pro Shop; we could offer advice on that.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    <www.yellowjersey.org/>
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  6. D'ohBoy said:
    email hidden said:
    D'ohBoy said:

    Hi!
    I have a 2006 (non-QS) front der that I would like to reshape because
    my rain bike flexes a bit too much for the width of the cage to
    provide rub-free service in all gears on the big ring.
    To be honest, I cracked that little tab that bridges the front of the
    cage on the current der on the bike and now I am ordering a fresh one,
    which I would like to reshape, but, I am hopeful, not break.
    Any suggestions on widening the cage at the front without fracturing/
    damaging it - again?
    Thanks,
    D'ohBoy


    On the front of my front derailleurs the outside plate bends in a
    little bit. I take a set of pliers and straighten that as much as
    possible. Clamping it in a machinists vise before installation would
    also work. I try usually without much success in bending the front of
    the inside plate so it is straighter and closer to the frame. But the
    inside plate at the front has folds and such in it and resists much
    bending. 1998 Chorus and 2000+ Veloce double derailleurs. Beauty of
    Campagnolo is its so easy to trim the front derailleur that you can
    make any front derailleur work just fine.

    Okey, well, it appears that in the case of this bike that I CANNOT
    make the front der work just fine. Installed via the instructions,
    but just couldn't get a rub free coupla rear cogs when on the big ring
    in the front. It would rub no matter whether I trim-clicked up or
    down.

    then your trim click is not set right.

    bottom line, with the shorter chain line of a road bike, angular
    deflection means you cannot avoid having to trim. bending the der cage
    is _not_ the way to address the issue. there /is/ a cable setting where
    there is just one click between the two cage positions to access full
    low and full high - you simply need to find it.

    Quoted message said:

    Maybe I am too sensitive? It would be moderately rubbing on
    the outside plate so I would click down and it would rub a lot.

    Played with the barrel adjuster, messed with the install...

    No dice. Maybe my cage got smooshed somewhere between Vincenza and
    Madison? I guess the question is really not worth asking cuz the der
    is busted anyway.

    Thanks for your help, Russell.

    Peter

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.