Shaping a 2006 vintage Chorus Front Der

D'ohBoy

Guest
Hi!

I have a 2006 (non-QS) front der that I would like to reshape because
my rain bike flexes a bit too much for the width of the cage to
provide rub-free service in all gears on the big ring.

To be honest, I cracked that little tab that bridges the front of the
cage on the current der on the bike and now I am ordering a fresh one,
which I would like to reshape, but, I am hopeful, not break.

Any suggestions on widening the cage at the front without fracturing/
damaging it - again?

Thanks,

D'ohBoy

On May 30, 8:40 am, "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a 2006 (non-QS) front der that I would like to reshape because
> my rain bike flexes a bit too much for the width of the cage to
> provide rub-free service in all gears on the big ring.
>
> To be honest, I cracked that little tab that bridges the front of the
> cage on the current der on the bike and now I am ordering a fresh one,
> which I would like to reshape, but, I am hopeful, not break.
>
> Any suggestions on widening the cage at the front without fracturing/
> damaging it - again?
>
> Thanks,
>
> D'ohBoy

On the front of my front derailleurs the outside plate bends in a
little bit. I take a set of pliers and straighten that as much as
possible. Clamping it in a machinists vise before installation would
also work. I try usually without much success in bending the front of
the inside plate so it is straighter and closer to the frame. But the
inside plate at the front has folds and such in it and resists much
bending. 1998 Chorus and 2000+ Veloce double derailleurs. Beauty of
Campagnolo is its so easy to trim the front derailleur that you can
make any front derailleur work just fine.

<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 30, 8:40 am, "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Hi!

> > I have a 2006 (non-QS) front der that I would like to reshape because
> > my rain bike flexes a bit too much for the width of the cage to
> > provide rub-free service in all gears on the big ring.

> > To be honest, I cracked that little tab that bridges the front of the
> > cage on the current der on the bike and now I am ordering a fresh one,
> > which I would like to reshape, but, I am hopeful, not break.

> > Any suggestions on widening the cage at the front without fracturing/
> > damaging it - again?

> > Thanks,

> > D'ohBoy

> On the front of my front derailleurs the outside plate bends in a
> little bit. I take a set of pliers and straighten that as much as
> possible. Clamping it in a machinists vise before installation would
> also work. I try usually without much success in bending the front of
> the inside plate so it is straighter and closer to the frame. But the
> inside plate at the front has folds and such in it and resists much
> bending. 1998 Chorus and 2000+ Veloce double derailleurs. Beauty of
> Campagnolo is its so easy to trim the front derailleur that you can
> make any front derailleur work just fine.

Okey, well, it appears that in the case of this bike that I CANNOT
make the front der work just fine. Installed via the instructions,
but just couldn't get a rub free coupla rear cogs when on the big ring
in the front. It would rub no matter whether I trim-clicked up or
down. Maybe I am too sensitive? It would be moderately rubbing on
the outside plate so I would click down and it would rub a lot.

Played with the barrel adjuster, messed with the install...

No dice. Maybe my cage got smooshed somewhere between Vincenza and
Madison? I guess the question is really not worth asking cuz the der
is busted anyway.

Thanks for your help, Russell.

Peter

D'ohBoy wrote:
> Okey, well, it appears that in the case of this bike that I CANNOT
> make the front der work just fine. Installed via the instructions,
> but just couldn't get a rub free coupla rear cogs when on the big ring
> in the front. It would rub no matter whether I trim-clicked up or
> down. Maybe I am too sensitive? It would be moderately rubbing on
> the outside plate so I would click down and it would rub a lot.
> Played with the barrel adjuster, messed with the install...
> No dice. Maybe my cage got smooshed somewhere between Vincenza and
> Madison? I guess the question is really not worth asking cuz the der
> is busted anyway.
> Thanks for your help, Russell.

Madison WI?
If so, you're near a Campagnolo Pro Shop; we could offer advice on that.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

D'ohBoy wrote:
> On May 30, 2:12 pm, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On May 30, 8:40 am, "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi!
>>> I have a 2006 (non-QS) front der that I would like to reshape because
>>> my rain bike flexes a bit too much for the width of the cage to
>>> provide rub-free service in all gears on the big ring.
>>> To be honest, I cracked that little tab that bridges the front of the
>>> cage on the current der on the bike and now I am ordering a fresh one,
>>> which I would like to reshape, but, I am hopeful, not break.
>>> Any suggestions on widening the cage at the front without fracturing/
>>> damaging it - again?
>>> Thanks,
>>> D'ohBoy

>> On the front of my front derailleurs the outside plate bends in a
>> little bit. I take a set of pliers and straighten that as much as
>> possible. Clamping it in a machinists vise before installation would
>> also work. I try usually without much success in bending the front of
>> the inside plate so it is straighter and closer to the frame. But the
>> inside plate at the front has folds and such in it and resists much
>> bending. 1998 Chorus and 2000+ Veloce double derailleurs. Beauty of
>> Campagnolo is its so easy to trim the front derailleur that you can
>> make any front derailleur work just fine.

> Okey, well, it appears that in the case of this bike that I CANNOT
> make the front der work just fine. Installed via the instructions,
> but just couldn't get a rub free coupla rear cogs when on the big ring
> in the front. It would rub no matter whether I trim-clicked up or
> down.

then your trim click is not set right.

bottom line, with the shorter chain line of a road bike, angular
deflection means you cannot avoid having to trim. bending the der cage
is _not_ the way to address the issue. there /is/ a cable setting where
there is just one click between the two cage positions to access full
low and full high - you simply need to find it.