Cycling Training · Public discussion

Shaving legs

Started by riceman · · Last activity · 63 posts · 11,626 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
24 July 2007
Last activity
5 September 2007
Original author
riceman
Posts
63
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
11,626
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–63 of 63
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. TadThomas said:

    Here are my reasons for doing it.

    1) I can't stand my leg hair matting. (biggest reason) When I go on a long rainy ride, the mixture of hair, rainwater, and road grime must be a primative epoxy adhesive. It's just as bad with sunscreen (or other balms), dust, pollen and asphalt particles. It hurts like hell to get them out and seems to take forever.

    2) Ease of cleaning a wound and speed of healing. Falls happen...Whether you're in a group and hit someone's rear wheel or a dog runs out from behind a bush into the backside of your front wheel while checking traffic behind you (the one with the dog happened to me). It's not a question of if you're gonna fall; it's a question of when. The though of getting shaved after the fact sounds much less desirable than having it already done. Further, that area is already going to be tender and the last thing I want is somebody trying to shave my uneven abrasion affected areas.

    3) My wife absolutely hates for my legs to be smoother than hers! I never say anything about it but she will notice and will go shave if I'm smoother. So I basically get 4 silky smooth legs for the personal effort of just shaving 2! She also seems to like my legs shaved.

    4) Respect for the sport. You wouldn't go to gym to play basketball with a cheapo, multicolored rubber ball....you better show up with a good leather ball to be taken seriously. You also wouldn't enter a race wearing the rainbow jersey/kit....unless your name is Paolo Bettini.

    5) Messages. They freakin' hurt when you're getting a deep leg message and you get a finger or thumb that pushes a hair down and over. I want a message....not my hair pulled! The novelty of having my hair pulled wore off in preschool!

    I do like the way my legs look shaved but that by itself was never really a reason to do it. I thought they looked good with hair too.

    One last thought....It's not manly? I double dog dare you to tell that to a bodybuilder! Most of them shave their whole bodies. Go ahead! Do it! Call 'em a sissy!!!!

    Anyone overly hung up on hair or the lack thereof really has much bigger issues.


    I tend to agree with your comments. I am trying to get into the sport but need equipment etc. Also could use a mentor for advice.
    I shaved my chest once and my wife flipped out. If i start riding i hope that i can shave my legs. How old are you? how long riding?

  2. cyclesox said:


    I shaved my chest once and my wife flipped out. If i start riding i hope that i can shave my legs. How old are you? how long riding?

    I used to shave my upper body when I was bodybuilding eons ago. Man, I hated how bad everything itched as it grew back!!! I don't think my wife would really care either way about the upper body....I could be wrong though. I've never really asked her or had a need to ask her about it.

    I'm 38, have been married for 12 years, have 3 kids and have a fairly demanding job....so riding time typically comes at a premium. I've been cycling now for about 5 years with the last 4 almost exclusively on the road. With my time constraints I'll be happy with the 5000 miles I'm on target to hit this year. I wish it was more but I do like sleeping too!

  3. Does anyone know when cyclists started shaving their legs? Did cyclists in the 1930 TdF shave their legs??

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.