Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Sheldon is finally over the edge . . .

Started by TBGibb · · Last activity · 11 posts · 358 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 November 2004
Last activity
8 November 2004
Original author
TBGibb
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
358
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Check http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/index.html

    And then tell me if he isn't! That mountain bike is pure heresy, I wouldn't be
    a bit suprised if Elrond doesn't turn poor Sheldon into a frog. But once Mr.
    Brandt sees the road bike he has set up there that attempts (via the power of a
    visual) to assert that hubs are suspended from the rim by the spokes . . .
    well, it won't be pretty!

    :-) :-) ;-)

    Tom Gibb <[email hidden]>

  2. TBGibb said:

    Check http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/index.html

    Tom, Nanodrive is old news. But I don't recall seeing the photo of Sheldon
    in the maillot jaune.

    Art Harris

  3. TBGibb said:

    Check http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/index.html

    And then tell me if he isn't! That mountain bike is pure heresy, I wouldn't be
    a bit suprised if Elrond doesn't turn poor Sheldon into a frog.

    In future do try to keep up with the rest of the class, this is 7 months
    and 5 days old now.

    Hmmm, doesn't that beard transgress some UCI rule or other? If it doesn't
    the helmet cormorant must!

    Mike

  4. Reminds me of a former life when I fancied myself a climber and discovered
    nano-nads available at Floss Products:
    http://www.sljus.lu.se/People/Struan/Climb/Flossprods/

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, "Arthur Harris"

    Quoted message said:

    Tom, Nanodrive is old news.

    You mean Sheldon is still loose among us and still in human form?

    Tom Gibb <[email hidden]>

  6. (TBGibb) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "Arthur Harris"

    Quoted message said:

    Tom, Nanodrive is old news.

    You mean Sheldon is still loose among us and still in human form?

    Worse, he's got the body of a 27-year-old. And I don't mean "in a box
    in the back of the shop."
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  7. Werehatrack said:
    (TBGibb) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "Arthur Harris"

    Quoted message said:

    Tom, Nanodrive is old news.

    You mean Sheldon is still loose among us and still in human form?

    Worse, he's got the body of a 27-year-old. And I don't mean "in a box
    in the back of the shop."

    If Harris Cyclery had bodies capable of winning UCI races for sale, they
    could make quite a bit on money. 😉

    --
    Tom Sherman - Greater QCA

  8. On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:20:53 GMT, Werehatrack
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You mean Sheldon is still loose among us and still in human form?

    Worse, he's got the body of a 27-year-old. And I don't mean "in a box
    in the back of the shop."

    Seven days having elapsed since Halloween, the world may now
    be ready to hear the full story . . .

    Twilight was falling, so I was hurrying toward the inn, when
    a gigantic figure, fully six foot five, overtook me.

    Dressed all in black, he was mashing an unusually high gear.
    Even in the gloom, I recognized him as a graduate of the
    dreaded university not far from the mountains over Lake
    T----, where the devil claims the tenth scholar as his due
    and thereby fills the ranks of the marching band.

    "You!" exclaimed the towering figure, catching sight of my
    easily identifiable Fury RoadMaster. "Why aren't you in
    Colorado, where you belong? What the devil are you doing
    here in Massachusetts?

    "I might well ask you the same question, Abrandt Van
    Wheelsing," I replied coldly, "since this is not California.
    But since you ask, my poor niece and nephew begged for my
    help in a family matter. My elder sister lives in Dedham,
    whence I am travelling. They could no longer bear the shame
    of their mother rooting for the Red Sox, but my sad errand
    there is finished."

    The tall man on the twelve-speed bicycle winced as his
    sensitive ear perceived the deliberately doubled "-ll-" in
    "travelling."

    "Never mind your Red Sox herrings," he said. "You can make
    yourself useful. On this night of all nights, I am hot on
    the trail of the monster who makes his lair near here!"

    "Would that be a lair of the second kind?" I inquired,
    annoyed that he had overlooked the possibility of a pun
    on "finished herrings."

    "We have no time for jokes!" Abrandt Van Wheelsing
    announced. "We must hurry, 'Denn die Todten reiten
    Schnell!'"

    My extensive research into Buffy the Vampire Slayer had led
    me to the original text by Bram Stoker, so I knew that this
    meant "for the dead travel fast"--but I decided that a pun
    about "travelling fast to Dedham" would be ill-received and
    resolved to pun no more.

    Such a pun would also have been inaccurate, for Van
    Wheelsing turned away from Dedham at a fork in the road.

    "Aha!" he exulted, pointing to bicycle tire tracks emerging
    from a puddle ahead of us. "The monster is fleeing to his
    evil den!"

    "Who is this monster?" I asked. "And where does he live?"

    "Live?" asked Van Wheelsing scornfully. "He is not of the
    living--he is of the undead! By day, he lurks in West
    Newton."

    "West Newton?" I gasped. "But isn't that where Shel--"

    "Do not speak that name here in the dark!"

    I was about to argue that we were not in the dark, but under
    a street lamp, when my companion gestured at the pavement.

    "Look!"

    I squinted at the ground again. "Bit of a mess there, but
    don't worry, I wasn't going to ride through it."

    "Fool! It is oil on the ground! He stopped to oil his chain
    without first cleaning it, for he knows that I pursue him.
    If we make haste, we shall overtake the bloody fiend, and
    then only one of us will survive!"

    "Er," I said nervously, "why not two of us? And exactly how
    did Shel--"

    "Do not speak that name!"

    "Well, how did he turn into a bloody fiend? I mean, most
    people consider him a rather cheerful sort, not one of the
    undead. His prices may not match WalMart, but he's no
    bloodsucker."

    "Did you not see the Halloween picture that he posted?
    The one captioned 'Got Blood?'"

    Duh, I said silently to myself. Then I asked aloud, "How
    did he go bad?"

    "Spoke-squeezing," said the tall man reluctantly.

    "Not to be rude," I lied, "but don't you--"

    "Yes," came the sad reply, "but I squeeze spokes by hand
    only to relieve stress. He squeezed spokes, too, but not by
    hand as God intended--he used unholy tools!"

    "Tools?" I asked, intrigued.

    "Some say that he used old cranks to twist his spokes to
    evil purposes, believing that his choice of semi-aero oval
    spokes would let him stop before he went too far. Others say
    that he was depraved from the beginning. But whatever he
    did, his spokes became immortal--at a fearful cost!"

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

    "You mean--"

    "His rims anodized overnight--he no longer casts a
    reflection in them. And . . ."

    "What?"

    "I hardly dare speak it, but his wheels--his wheels--"

    A long silence ensued, finally broken by a horrified
    whisper:

    "They hang from the upper spokes--like bats!"

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/bianchi-quarter.jpg

    Stunned by this revelation, I fell silent.

    Presently, my companion looked back over his shoulder at me.

    "Why have you mounted a blinking red rear light on the front
    of your--your--" He stopped, apparently unable to describe a
    Fury Roadmaster as a bicycle.

    "So that I can sneak up on him," I explained. "He'll think
    that I'm heading the other way."

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=carl+sheldon+%22red+light%22&hl=en&lr=&group=rec.bicycles.tech&selm=41892CE0.60909%40sheldonbrown.com&rnum=1
    or http://tinyurl.com/4ktu7

    Van Wheelsing said something under his breath that sounded
    like "Mormon," but then he snarled "Never mind!" when I
    began to correct his mistaken notion of my religious views.

    Dawn began to break as we climbed higher into the forbidding
    Massachusetts Alps. The tracks of our quarry were clear in
    the frost on the shoulder of the road--tracks with obvious
    tread patterns, whose useless shapes that filled us with
    dread!

    But as we followed the monster's tracks, the most amazing
    thing happened--as the sun rose, the tread markings began to
    fade!

    When I remarked on this fascinating supernatural phenomenon,
    my fellow rider said, "Frost melts in the sun, numbskull!"

    Sullenly, I changed the subject. "Now that the sun is up,
    perhaps you can tell me more. What's he riding? And can we
    use his name now?"

    "He rides in many forms," came the answer. "Derailleurs,
    Sturmey-Archer three-speeds, fixies--there are even rumors
    of continuously variable transmissions. But mostly he rides
    what gave him the name by which we know him best--Count
    Rohloff XIV of West Newton!"

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly-rohloff/index.html

    "Well, speak of the devil," I said and coasted to a stop in
    front of 1353 Washington Street.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/images/shop-frt-angle.jpg

    "Dear God!" exclaimed Van Wheelsing, giving every sign of
    being shocked. "I might have known!"

    "It's just a bicycle shop," I said, baffled by his reaction.

    "Look!"

    Belatedly, I noticed a funeral black vehicle parked in front
    of Harris Cyclery.

    "Relax," I reassured Van Wheelsing. "It's not a black SUV.
    It's just a hearse." Only when he saw that there was no
    trailer hitch was he able to overcome his superstitious
    fear.

    We pedalled stealthily into the bike shop and were soon
    bumping down a gloomy stone staircase, which reminded me
    that Van Wheelsing was famed for riding his road bike on
    trails.

    "What's that noise?" I whispered fearfully, puzzled by a
    regular thudding sound.

    "Probably someone hammering on a headset," was the unworthy
    answer.

    Eventually, I noticed that the thudding coincided with my
    tires descending the steps.

    But when we reached a level floor and our tires were no
    longer bumping down the stairs, the hideous thudding
    continued!

    Then it stopped, which was even more ominous.

    Finally we came to a dark chamber, fitfully lit by erratic
    flashes of light.

    "What can that light be?" muttered Van Wheelsing.

    "Maybe it's sparking titanium," I said spitefully.

    As we drew closer, we put aside our petty squabbles, for
    there in plain sight, illuminated by a torch, was the evil
    lord of West Newton, busily brazing a front derailleur onto
    a carbon frame.

    Nearby on the stone floor was a rubber mallet with which he
    had been beating the round seat tube into another and
    horrible shape.

    My eyes widened further as I saw that even his front chain
    rings were sinister ovals!

    "Thing of evil!" cried Van Wheelsing, drawing a well-greased
    and appallingly sharpened seat post from under his jersey.
    "Prepare to meet your doom!"

    "Hey," chortled the West Newton Nosferatu, "look who's here!
    Halloween's over, and I didn't really expect to see you, but
    I kept some just in case--"

    The ghoul reached into an unhallowed container and drew
    forth the one thing that I had dreaded.

    "Don't look!" I warned Van Wheelsing , but it was too late.

    "Snickers bars!" There was a clang as the sharpened seat
    post fell from Van Wheelsing's hand to the stone floor.

    "Yeah," said Count Rohloff, "I know you like 'em. And," he
    added, "I've got another surprise for you! C'mere and have a
    look."

    Like a man in a trance, Van Wheelsing dismounted and
    approached his enemy, stiff-legged and unable to help
    himself. (At least, I consoled myself, there's no question
    of round-pedalling.)

    "This'll take a minute," Count Rohloff said, offering me his
    unholiest delicacies, "so why not help yourself to some
    Product W?"

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/w.html

    The demon shrank back as I flipped my Fury RoadMaster
    sideways in front of me onto its seat and handlebars to
    reveal its true cross-three spoke pattern.

    Van Wheelsing quivered, but even the provocation of an
    upside-down bicycle was not enough to break the hypnotic
    Snickers trance.

  9. Quoted message said:

    Perhaps the box contained nothing but 1977 Shimano cranks.

    Perhaps not.

    Heeeeheeeee!!!
    Work at your leisure!

  10. Quoted message said:

    Perhaps the box contained nothing but 1977 Shimano cranks.

    Perhaps not.

    Heeeeheeeee!!!
    Work at your leisure!

  11. TBGibb said:


    Check http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/index.html

    And then tell me if he isn't! That mountain bike is pure heresy, I wouldn't be
    a bit suprised if Elrond doesn't turn poor Sheldon into a frog. But once Mr.
    Brandt sees the road bike he has set up there that attempts (via the power of a
    visual) to assert that hubs are suspended from the rim by the spokes . . .
    well, it won't be pretty!

    Those gears are huge. Check out:

    http://www.ipt.arc.nasa.gov/gallery.html
    http://www.imm.org/Parts/Parts3.html
    http://www.fantasyarts.net/nasa-nanogear-shaft.htm
    http://www.mse.ncsu.edu/CompMatSci/Tutorial/listing.html

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.