Road Cycling · Public discussion

Sheryl does good

Started by Bill C · · Last activity · 66 posts · 1,473 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
17 November 2005
Last activity
21 November 2005
Original author
Bill C
Posts
66
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,473
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–66 of 66
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Donald Munro" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Philip W. Moore said:

    Big Gay Ben,

    Kunichilitis is spreading faster like bird flu.

    Kumbaya, Donald, Kumbaya.

  2. Philip W. Moore said:

    Big Gay Ben,

    Juris Dr. Phil,

    Is that supposed to be an insult or a compliment? I'll take
    it as the latter.

    Quoted message said:

    I guess there's no such thing as America then. In fact, we ought to refer
    to the whole world as Pangea from the time there was only one land mass on
    the entire earth. Why? Because that's where we all come from.

    As bacteria, definitely. I think Africa was a separate continent
    by the time humans showed up. It might not be such a bad
    idea to get rid of all the labels. I got the impression Amit was
    needling Mad Dog's overbearing post rather than writing a
    dissertation on American music.

    But regardless, are you sure you want to decide who can
    and cannot talk about music and culture based on
    Canadianness and Indianness, on their nationality and
    ethnicity? I mean, feel free to do that if you want, but
    do it consistently. The next time some Americans
    complain about Leblanc and the Tour de France, or some
    Euro badmouths pushy American cyclists, point out that
    it's the Frenchies' tour and we have no standing to talk
    [censored] about it, by your rules. Also, say hi to Pat Buchanan
    for me at the next Defenders of American Culture meeting.

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    But regardless, are you sure you want to decide who can
    and cannot talk about music and culture based on
    Canadianness and Indianness, on their nationality and
    ethnicity? I mean, feel free to do that if you want, but
    do it consistently. The next time some Americans
    complain about Leblanc and the Tour de France, or some
    Euro badmouths pushy American cyclists, point out that
    it's the Frenchies' tour and we have no standing to talk
    [censored] about it, by your rules. Also, say hi to Pat Buchanan
    for me at the next Defenders of American Culture meeting.

    I don't have to be consistent. I do, however, find it funny that Amit was
    piping up in thread about Sheryl Crow and Johnny Cash. And I'm not a Pat
    Buchanon fan. I am a Yellow Dog Democrat sans the PC mania.

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mad Dog said:

    Jim Flom says...

    Quoted message said:

    Mad Dog wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Oh, or do you refer to the Nashville establishment
    mainstream press? They never respected Johnny, so what's the big deal?

    Quoted message said:

    They respected him early, but not late in his career.

    That's debatable. Fairly early in his career, he helped to put an end to the
    established practices in Nashville. You know - using the same studio musicians
    on every record and that hyper-sweet Atkins production. Yecch - a little of
    that syrup goes a long way. There were many in the press that didn't like
    seeing Chet Atkin's system take it on the chin and they alternately ignored Cash
    or tried to diss him more openly. He got kicked out of the Grand Ole Opry at a
    pretty young age, so what kind of respect was that?

    If young Cash got any respect from the mainstream Nashville press, it was
    because the people spoke with their money. They loved his music and maybe even
    more importantly, what he stood for. How can you be a critic and completely
    ignore your constituency? Reminds me of the early days of Led Zeppelin, Frank
    Zappa and others. Any of you actually read the real-time Rolling Stone reviews
    of the early Zep LPs? They HATED them.

    I do not align myself with Rolling Stone.
    I hated Lead Zipper then and hate them now.
    I find their music repetitive and uninspired;
    they deliberately appeal to the they-peaked-in-high-school crowd.
    From that era The Who and Iggy Pop.
    Saw and heard him on stage when he was Iggy Stooge in 1969.
    I have a (relatively) recent cover by Iggy Pop of `Shaking All Over.'
    Sometimes put the volume to eleven for my deaf old ears.
    Some folks are still rocking; such as Link Wray.

    Quoted message said:

    Years later, after the public had
    clearly spoken, "improved" reviews that glowed all over the legacy were
    generated. Such is the fate of those that dare to do something different.
    Remember, the "mainstream" press dissed Beethoven's late string quartets.
    Ludwig got the last laugh on that one too.

    I'm with Beethoven. He knew how to have fun,
    such as codas that never end.
    The eighth symphony is often overlooked
    because it is so cheerful that one may stop paying attention,
    and miss all the rest.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Hence, the famous full-page "finger" ad.

    That's a classic. I saw it as meaning: "You ain't rid of me yet!"

    --
    Michael Press

  5. Michael Press says...

    Quoted message said:

    I do not align myself with Rolling Stone.

    Neither do I, but was using their approval stamp as proof of mainstream
    acceptance of the Cash AR releases. Other examples might be all of the Grammys
    he won for them, etc. And this is no more an endorsement of the Grammys from me
    than is my mention of Rolling Stone.

    Quoted message said:

    I hated Lead Zipper then and hate them now.
    I find their music repetitive and uninspired;
    they deliberately appeal to the they-peaked-in-high-school crowd.

    They probably hated you too. And beware, the devil is on their side. Of course
    their music is repetitive - how else can you get a bunch of drunk, doped up kids
    to remember when to nod their heads? But my point in mentioning Zeppelin was
    not about the quality of their music - it was about how the mainstream press is
    more about aligning themselves with their buying public than it is about
    providing penetrating perspective. (There, in one paragraph, I managed to say
    something about dope and penetration - the former is to keep this on rbr topic
    and the latter is for H2 to consider)

    Quoted message said:

    From that era The Who and Iggy Pop.
    Saw and heard him on stage when he was Iggy Stooge in 1969.
    I have a (relatively) recent cover by Iggy Pop of `Shaking All Over.'
    Sometimes put the volume to eleven for my deaf old ears.

    This doesn't make sense. You diss on Zep for being repetitive then drool on
    Iggy? Actually, Zep had their moments and I liked Raw Power too. I saw the
    ZOSO tour and it was played very well. Great sound for the era and they knew
    how to turn it up to eleven better than Spinal Tap. Saw Iggy once and he was
    pretty weird, kinda looked like he'd taken a shower in 5 weight motor oil (it
    was probably DNA-rich bodily fluids from the band). But they did rock out.

    Quoted message said:

    Some folks are still rocking; such as Link Wray.

    Sorry, he never did much for me. I found his music repetitive and uninspired.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm with Beethoven. He knew how to have fun,
    such as codas that never end.

    In 1970, the Beethoven-Archiv and Duetch Grammophone put out a collection of his
    music - sitting side by side the LPs take up about 1.5' of shelf space. Along
    with it came an LP-size biography that is incredible. It's worth a read, even
    to those that have read other Ludwig bios.

    Quoted message said:

    The eighth symphony is often overlooked
    because it is so cheerful that one may stop paying attention,
    and miss all the rest.

    Hell yea. Very impressionistic. If you can get your hands on the
    Norrington/LCP version, check it out.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mad Dog said:

    Hell yea. Very impressionistic. If you can get your hands on the
    Norrington/LCP version, check it out.

    I will, thanks.

    --
    Michael Press

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.