Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Shifting problems on Stronglight 86mm BCD cranks

Started by David Damerell · · Last activity · 6 posts · 844 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 July 2004
Last activity
8 July 2004
Original author
David Damerell
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
844
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I recently acquired an '89 Super Galaxy tandem. This has
    Stronglight cranks on, with a single 86mm BCD for a triple.
    The bicycle's original gearing was 48/42/28 chainrings with
    a 13-28 six speed rear freewheel.

    Of course, tandems being pretty quick, we found ourselves
    spinning out the
    48/13 almost immediately. Hence I ordered a 52t 86mm
    chainring and fitted
    it.

    However, the chain falls down the gap between the 52t and
    42t chainrings, which is a nuisance. Furthermore, I
    intended to replace the rear hub with a 7-speed cassette
    hub; we plan to do the End to End on this tandem and I
    don't expect to be able to find 6s freewheels in the back
    of beyond, I have a bunch of existing 7s gear, and an 11t
    top sprocket would also alleviate the gear range problems.
    However, I'm concerned that a narrower chain will only
    exacerbate this problem.

    I'm not sure what the answer is. "New cranks" is obvious,
    but expensive. Returning to 48/42/28 might sort it out, but
    then the gearing's less useful. Another idea that springs to
    mind is drilling into the 52 and 42 just below the teeth on
    the 42, and bolting them together - both to make them
    slightly closer, and to make it impossible for the chain to
    descend below that level. Grinding down the flats that
    engage with the spider would also decrease the spacing, but
    seems pretty drastic.

    I'd be grateful for any advice people can offer.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Kill
    the tomato!

  2. David Damerell said:

    I recently acquired an '89 Super Galaxy tandem. This has
    Stronglight cranks on, with a single 86mm BCD for a triple.
    The bicycle's original gearing was 48/42/28 chainrings with
    a 13-28 six speed rear freewheel.

    Of course, tandems being pretty quick, we found ourselves
    spinning out the
    48/13 almost immediately. Hence I ordered a 52t 86mm
    chainring and fitted
    it.

    However, the chain falls down the gap between the 52t and
    42t chainrings, which is a nuisance. Furthermore, I
    intended to replace the rear hub with a 7-speed cassette
    hub; we plan to do the End to End on this tandem and I
    don't expect to be able to find 6s freewheels in the back
    of beyond, I have a bunch of existing 7s gear, and an 11t
    top sprocket would also alleviate the gear range problems.
    However, I'm concerned that a narrower chain will only
    exacerbate this problem.

    I'm not sure what the answer is. "New cranks" is obvious,
    but expensive. Returning to 48/42/28 might sort it out, but
    then the gearing's less useful. Another idea that springs
    to mind is drilling into the 52 and 42 just below the teeth
    on the 42, and bolting them together - both to make them
    slightly closer, and to make it impossible for the chain to
    descend below that level. Grinding down the flats that
    engage with the spider would also decrease the spacing, but
    seems pretty drastic.

    I'd be grateful for any advice people can offer.

    Dear David,

    Could you be using an unusually thin chain?

    Last August, Pete Biggs asked about fatter chains for 5 and
    6 speed bikes, and Dianne_1234 shamelessly published widths
    from 6.60mm to 8.61mm:

    groups.google.comgroups
    rec.bicycles.tech%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-
    8%26group%3Drec.bicycles.tech%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3Dad63da-
    ab.0308251725.3f05c39%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D29

    or

    tinyurl.com27po5

    Carl Fogel

  3. David Damerell said:

    However, the chain falls down the gap between the 52t and
    42t chainrings, which is a nuisance. Furthermore, I
    intended to replace the rear hub with a 7-speed cassette
    hub; we plan to do the End to End on this tandem and I
    don't expect to be able to find 6s freewheels in the back
    of beyond, I have a bunch of existing 7s gear, and an 11t
    top sprocket would also alleviate the gear range problems.
    However, I'm concerned that a narrower chain will only
    exacerbate this problem.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not sure what the answer is. "New cranks" is obvious,
    but expensive. Returning to 48/42/28 might sort it out,
    but then the gearing's less useful. Another idea that
    springs to mind is drilling into the 52 and 42 just below
    the teeth on the 42, and bolting them together - both to
    make them slightly closer, and to make it impossible for
    the chain to descend below that level. Grinding down the
    flats that engage with the spider would also decrease the
    spacing, but seems pretty drastic.

    The crankset may have been designed with wider, 5/6 speed
    chain in mind, where the rivets stick out more. Many
    chainrings are asymmetric - perhaps the 42 can be turned
    around, However, there is a better solution.

    I "pinned" a 52 in an attempt to mimic the Shimano pins that
    assist 42->52 upshifts. I tapped small holes in the
    chainring a bit below the teeth, and inserted short M5
    setscrews that poke inside by 1-2mm, just enough so the
    chain doesn't hit them when it's on the 42. If you do this I
    think the setscrews will push the chain inside enough to
    land on the 42 when downshifting.

    I used a tapered tap and didn't run it quite all the way
    through, so the screws are a tight fit. This keeps them from
    vibrating out.

  4. Benjamin Weiner said:
    David Damerell said:

    However, the chain falls down the gap between the 52t and
    42t chainrings, which is a nuisance.


    The crankset may have been designed with wider, 5/6
    speed chain in mind, where the rivets stick out more.
    Many chainrings are asymmetric - perhaps the 42 can be
    turned around

    Curiously, I noticed this after posting; for now I've
    flipped the 42.

    Quoted message said:

    I "pinned" a 52 in an attempt to mimic the Shimano pins
    that assist 42->52 upshifts. I tapped small holes in the
    chainring a bit below the teeth, and inserted short M5
    setscrews that poke inside by 1-2mm, just enough so the
    chain doesn't hit them when it's on the 42. If you do this
    I think the setscrews will push the chain inside enough to
    land on the 42 when downshifting.

    Ingenious - but do they help with upshifts? The derailleur
    cage doesn't provide much upwards hoik, because it has to do
    most of its work for the 28->42 shifts.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Kill
    the tomato!

  5. David Damerell said:

    Benjamin Weiner <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I "pinned" a 52 in an attempt to mimic the Shimano pins
    that assist 42->52 upshifts. I tapped small holes in the
    chainring a bit below the teeth, and inserted short M5
    setscrews that poke inside by 1-2mm, just enough so the
    chain doesn't hit them when it's on the 42. If you do
    this I think the setscrews will push the chain inside
    enough to land on the 42 when downshifting.

    Quoted message said:

    Ingenious - but do they help with upshifts? The derailleur
    cage doesn't provide much upwards hoik, because it has to
    do most of its work for the 28->42 shifts.

    Yes, slightly. This is on a 52-42-30 with plain rings and an
    old RSX STI triple front lever with no trim adjustment. If
    it was a friction front shifter, the plain rings would work
    ok. With the STI, there is a limited range of adjustment
    where upshifts work, the der can push the chain down to the
    granny, and chain rub is tolerable. The pins improve front
    upshifting enough to widen this workable range. Late model
    Shimano rings also have some shorter teeth to help the
    downshifting - I've been tempted to file down a couple of
    teeth to imitate that.

    Front STI is hardly ideal, but front shifting can be clumsy
    even with a friction shifter, especially under load. I know,
    it's "better" not to shift the front under load but if you
    have hills it's sometimes unavoidable. The mutated
    chainrings seem to help with that.

    WRT the derailleur cage and upshifts, sometimes rotating the
    FD about the seattube slightly helps with that. Triple
    fronts can be a battle between quicker shifting and
    tolerable chain rub. I'd like to see the manufacturers
    improve front shifting before adding more rear cogs, but
    given the degrees of freedom in any crankset/FD combination,
    that may be quite hard.

  6. Benjamin Weiner <[email hidden]> wrote: [discussion
    of shifting problems on 52/42/28 Stronglight cranks]

    Quoted message said:

    WRT the derailleur cage and upshifts, sometimes rotating
    the FD about the seattube slightly helps with that. Triple
    fronts can be a battle between quicker shifting and
    tolerable chain rub.

    That (rotation) might be an idea. Chain rub is not so great
    an issue, because the chainstays are quite long, presumably
    in order to bash the stoker about a bit less over the bumps.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]>
    Distortion Field!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.