Shimano 7700 / 7710 bottom bracket

Steve Karpik

Guest
I have a question about the Shimano octalink bottom brackets. Both the
7700 (road model) and 7710 (track model) are of width 109.5 cm. The
7700 is asymmetrical (longer on the crank side) but I don't know
whether that is the case for the 7710 or is the 7710 symmetrical. Just
wondering whether the 7700 and 7710 models differ by anything else than
there model numbers.

Thanks.

Steve Karpik

Steve Karpik wrote:
> I have a question about the Shimano octalink bottom brackets. Both the
> 7700 (road model) and 7710 (track model) are of width 109.5 cm. The
> 7700 is asymmetrical (longer on the crank side) but I don't know
> whether that is the case for the 7710 or is the 7710 symmetrical. Just
> wondering whether the 7700 and 7710 models differ by anything else than
> there model numbers.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve Karpik

7710 was always cart bearings, not the loose cup and ball of the 7700.
They took a 6500 and used steel cups on the left is all.

Steve Karpik wrote:
> I have a question about the Shimano octalink bottom brackets. Both the
> 7700 (road model) and 7710 (track model) are of width 109.5 cm. The
> 7700 is asymmetrical (longer on the crank side) but I don't know
> whether that is the case for the 7710 or is the 7710 symmetrical. Just
> wondering whether the 7700 and 7710 models differ by anything else than
> there model numbers.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve Karpik

the 7710 is the steel cartridge model - the 7700 has separate bearings
and plastic separator. the 7710 is also supposed to have slightly less
draggy seals too, but i doubt you can tell much difference.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Steve Karpik wrote:
>> I have a question about the Shimano octalink bottom brackets. Both the
>> 7700 (road model) and 7710 (track model) are of width 109.5 cm. The
>> 7700 is asymmetrical (longer on the crank side) but I don't know
>> whether that is the case for the 7710 or is the 7710 symmetrical. Just
>> wondering whether the 7700 and 7710 models differ by anything else than
>> there model numbers.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Steve Karpik

> 7710 was always cart bearings, not the loose cup and ball of the 7700.

7700 is roller bearings /and/ ball. [roller for radial load, ball for
lateral.]

> They took a 6500 and used steel cups on the left is all.

get a flashlight and look inside the spindle. the 6500 is just straight
pipe. the 7700 has been extensively machined inside to hollow it out.
pretty cool actually!

jim beam wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Steve Karpik wrote:
> >> I have a question about the Shimano octalink bottom brackets. Both the
> >> 7700 (road model) and 7710 (track model) are of width 109.5 cm. The
> >> 7700 is asymmetrical (longer on the crank side) but I don't know
> >> whether that is the case for the 7710 or is the 7710 symmetrical. Just
> >> wondering whether the 7700 and 7710 models differ by anything else than
> >> there model numbers.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Steve Karpik

> > 7710 was always cart bearings, not the loose cup and ball of the 7700.

> 7700 is roller bearings /and/ ball. [roller for radial load, ball for
> lateral.]
>
> > They took a 6500 and used steel cups on the left is all.
> >

> get a flashlight and look inside the spindle. the 6500 is just straight
> pipe. the 7700 has been extensively machined inside to hollow it out.
> pretty cool actually!

Nope, you misunderstand..to get the 7710, take a 6500, steel cup left
side=7710/pista.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

>>> 7710 was always cart bearings, not the loose cup and ball of the 7700.

>> 7700 is roller bearings /and/ ball. [roller for radial load, ball for
>> lateral.]
>>
>>> They took a 6500 and used steel cups on the left is all.
>>>

>> get a flashlight and look inside the spindle. the 6500 is just straight
>> pipe. the 7700 has been extensively machined inside to hollow it out.
>> pretty cool actually!

> Nope, you misunderstand..to get the 7710, take a 6500, steel cup left
> side=7710/pista.

look in side. has it been hollowed out like the 7700 or not?