Does anyone make a reach adjustable shifter/brake lever compatible with
Shimano 9 spd?
Thanks,
JMyers
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Does anyone make a reach adjustable shifter/brake lever compatible with
Shimano 9 spd?
Thanks,
JMyers
James Myers said:Does anyone make a reach adjustable shifter/brake lever compatible with Shimano 9 spd?
Yes. See:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#brifters
Scroll down to "New! Shimano ST-R600 9-speed STI brake/shifter units"
"At last, an Ultegra-level STI brake/shifter ("brifter"😉 for riders
with small hands"
Art Harris
"Art Harris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:James Myers said:Does anyone make a reach adjustable shifter/brake lever compatible with
Shimano 9 spd?
Quoted message said:Yes. See:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#brifters
Scroll down to "New! Shimano ST-R600 9-speed STI brake/shifter units"
"At last, an Ultegra-level STI brake/shifter ("brifter"😉 for riders
with small hands"Art Harris
Been around for quite a while....
The RT600 uses a rubber insert that keeps the brake handle from opening all
the way. It is considered a non-series part by Shimano.
Bruce
James Myers said:Does anyone make a reach adjustable shifter/brake lever compatible with
Shimano 9 spd?Thanks,
JMyers
As has been stated, R600, but not cheap, In the $250 range.
James Myers queriee:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:Does anyone make a reach adjustable shifter/brake lever compatible with
Shimano 9 spd?
Peter Chisholm said:
As has been stated, R600, but not cheap, In the $250 range.
Right. Another option to consider is the 105 10 speed, which is
expected to arrive relatively soon, and will offer this feature.
Converting a 9-speed setup to 10 speed requires replacing the cassette
and chain, as well as the shifters and bar tape, but the shifters are
the expensive part.
Actually, I would imagine that a good mechanic could get a 10-speed
shifter to index with a 9-speed cassette, but I haven't had occasion to
try this yet.
Sheldon "Upgrades" Brown
+--------------------------------------------+
| Never worry about theory as long as the |
| machinery does what it's supposed to do. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
+--------------------------------------------+
Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com
Bruce Gilbert said:"Art Harris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:James Myers said:Does anyone make a reach adjustable shifter/brake lever compatible with
Shimano 9 spd?Quoted message said:Yes. See:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#brifters
Scroll down to "New! Shimano ST-R600 9-speed STI brake/shifter units"
"At last, an Ultegra-level STI brake/shifter ("brifter"😉 for riders
with small hands"Art Harris
Been around for quite a while....
The RT600 uses a rubber insert that keeps the brake handle from opening all
the way. It is considered a non-series part by Shimano.Bruce
So could you simply retrofit an existing lever with a rubber insert to
accomplish the same thing?
Sheldon Brown said:Actually, I would imagine that a good mechanic could get a 10-speed
shifter to index with a 9-speed cassette, but I haven't had occasion to
try this yet.
Isn't it somewhere on your site that 10s shifters with "Old Dura Ace cable
routing" will shift a 9s cassette?
Ah yes: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html . And you wrote it
yourself, too. So what gives there?
Jasper
I said:
Quoted message said:Actually, I would imagine that a good mechanic could get a 10-speed
shifter to index with a 9-speed cassette, but I haven't had occasion to
try this yet.
Jasper Janssen said:
Isn't it somewhere on your site that 10s shifters with "Old Dura Ace cable
routing" will shift a 9s cassette?Ah yes: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html . And you wrote it
yourself, too. So what gives there?
It's a funny thing, but my main Website contains over 2000 separate Web
pages, plus over 1000 image files, amounting to 750 megabytes of
data...but some people persist in imagining that I have it all committed
to memory!
Actually, one of the reasons I started the site in the first place, over
10 years ago, was as a place where I could record information that I
myself would find useful...
Sheldon "Doesn't Actually Know It All" Brown
+---------------------------------------+
| Whatever became of eternal truth? |
+---------------------------------------+
Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com
Sheldon Brown said:James Myers queriee:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:Does anyone make a reach adjustable shifter/brake lever compatible with
Shimano 9 spd?Peter Chisholm said:
As has been stated, R600, but not cheap, In the $250 range.Right. Another option to consider is the 105 10 speed, which is
expected to arrive relatively soon, and will offer this feature.Converting a 9-speed setup to 10 speed requires replacing the cassette
and chain, as well as the shifters and bar tape, but the shifters are
the expensive part.Actually, I would imagine that a good mechanic could get a 10-speed
shifter to index with a 9-speed cassette, but I haven't had occasion to
try this yet.
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com
Altho the cogs are the same thickness, I suspect a set of loose 9s cogs
and a set of 10s spacers, and you could get it to work. There is no way
to make a shimano 10s STI shift 9s spacing tho. yes for Campag 10s and
shimano 9s but shimano 10s cogs are so close together. With 105 stuff
becoming 10s, 10s cogsets from shimano will of course be
cheaper(ultegra and DA 10s are not cheap, even tho they are so similar
to 9s).
Sheldon Brown said:Sheldon "Doesn't Actually Know It All" Brown
Sheldon, I am shocked! Shocked and apalled!
So much for my plans to have you start a new religion involving
hub-generator-powered black boxes which can tell the applicant where his
life sucks and what they need to do to make it better (tithe 10 to a 100
percent to the church is a good start, I find).
Jasper
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.