Shimano Coasting Group

Michael Blake

Guest
My wife has a new Giant Suede W Costing which is a very nice neighborhood
bike. I noticed an adjustment on the Coasting's computer/control box but I
have not been able to find any documentation on how it should be adjusted.
Nothing was included in Giant's documentation nor have I been able to find
anything on the web. I have not been able to get into the correct area on
Shimano's technical documentation server.

Any data on the adjustment procedure will be appreciated :)

Mike
Specialized Allez & Giant Suede W Coasting

On Jul 23, 4:34 pm, "Michael Blake" <[email protected]> wrote:
> My wife has a new Giant Suede W Costing which is a very nice neighborhood
> bike. I noticed an adjustment on the Coasting's computer/control box but I
> have not been able to find any documentation on how it should be adjusted.
> Nothing was included in Giant's documentation nor have I been able to find
> anything on the web. I have not been able to get into the correct area on
> Shimano's technical documentation server.
>
> Any data on the adjustment procedure will be appreciated :)
>
> Mike
> Specialized Allez & Giant Suede W Coasting

What's it look like? I'm guessing it adjusts the shift points up or
down depending on the rider's preferred cadence. Be a dude, crack a
beer and mess with it!

On Jul 23, 3:34 pm, "Michael Blake" <[email protected]> wrote:
> My wife has a new Giant Suede W Costing which is a very nice neighborhood
> bike. I noticed an adjustment on the Coasting's computer/control box but I
> have not been able to find any documentation on how it should be adjusted.
> Nothing was included in Giant's documentation nor have I been able to find
> anything on the web. I have not been able to get into the correct area on
> Shimano's technical documentation server.
>
> Any data on the adjustment procedure will be appreciated :)
>
> Mike
> Specialized Allez & Giant Suede W Coasting

Dear Mike,

There's a faint chance that this pdf might help:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t.../SI_7BF0C_P03-16_En_v1_m56577569830605819.pdf

It seems to be about a Shimano automatic shifting system and has lots
of warnings and tips about changing the shift points.

Since your wife's bike is a Trek, you might look here:

http://www.chainreaction.com

and email Mike Jacoubowsky ([email protected]), who is one of
the friendly local bike shop dealers who helps posters at RBT and will
probably try to help anyone named Mike with a Trek.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:50:10 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>On Jul 23, 3:34 pm, "Michael Blake" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> My wife has a new Giant Suede W Costing which is a very nice neighborhood
>> bike. I noticed an adjustment on the Coasting's computer/control box but I
>> have not been able to find any documentation on how it should be adjusted.
>> Nothing was included in Giant's documentation nor have I been able to find
>> anything on the web. I have not been able to get into the correct area on
>> Shimano's technical documentation server.
>>
>> Any data on the adjustment procedure will be appreciated :)
>>
>> Mike
>> Specialized Allez & Giant Suede W Coasting

>Dear Mike,
>
>There's a faint chance that this pdf might help:
>
>http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t.../SI_7BF0C_P03-16_En_v1_m56577569830605819.pdf
>
>It seems to be about a Shimano automatic shifting system and has lots
>of warnings and tips about changing the shift points.
>
>Since your wife's bike is a Trek, you might look here:
>
>http://www.chainreaction.com
>
>and email Mike Jacoubowsky ([email protected]), who is one of
>the friendly local bike shop dealers who helps posters at RBT and will
>probably try to help anyone named Mike with a Trek.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

I would think that among the recommendations would be the shop that sold the
damn thing and earned the profit on having done so.

Ron

On Jul 24, 11:46 am, RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:50:10 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> >On Jul 23, 3:34 pm, "MichaelBlake" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> My wife has a new Giant Suede W Costing which is a very nice neighborhood
> >> bike. I noticed an adjustment on the Coasting's computer/control box but I
> >> have not been able to find any documentation on how it should be adjusted.
> >> Nothing was included in Giant's documentation nor have I been able to find
> >> anything on the web. I have not been able to get into the correct area on
> >> Shimano's technical documentation server.

> >> Any data on the adjustment procedure will be appreciated :)

> >> Mike
> >> Specialized Allez & Giant Suede W Coasting

> >Dear Mike,

> >There's a faint chance that this pdf might help:

> >http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Nexus/Ful...

> >It seems to be about a Shimano automatic shifting system and has lots
> >of warnings and tips about changing the shift points.

> >Since your wife's bike is a Trek, you might look here:

> >http://www.chainreaction.com

> >and email Mike Jacoubowsky ([email protected]), who is one of
> >the friendly local bike shop dealers who helps posters at RBT and will
> >probably try to help anyone named Mike with a Trek.

> >Cheers,

> >Carl Fogel

> I would think that among the recommendations would be the shop that sold the
> damn thing and earned the profit on having done so.
>
> Ron

I finally found the documentation that I was looking for. It is
located on the Shimano Coasting web site under the "login" button. My
local LBS's Service Manager was not aware of this location and they
had no documentation of their own other than "verbal instructions".

<http://www.coasting.com/publish/content/coasting/sac/en/home/
dealerlogin.html>

I have not been impressed with my LBS at all! For example.... our
second Giant Suede Coasting was for me and was delivered with 20
pounds of air in both tires and a loose kickstand. Upon inspection
the foot on the kick stand, an aluminum casting" was broken off. They
provided me with a new kick stand and I returned home to mount it
myself. The stem on the second bike is unlike any of the stems
published on any of the Giant sites. I have created a second tread
regarding that issue.

Mike