UK and Europe · Public discussion

Shimano DH-3N70 Dynamo

Started by Reyserf · · Last activity · 19 posts · 747 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
8 October 2005
Last activity
27 October 2005
Original author
Reyserf
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
747
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I seem to have developed a craving for one of these hub dynamos now that the
    days are shortening.

    Rose Versand have them listed at a very good price, 53 euro, but when trying
    to order over the web a message is displayed saying that credit cards are
    not accepted (my translation from german). Last time I placed an order with
    I am sure that I used my card. Has anyone used them lately? and did you have
    to use bank transfer? Alternatively is there any other supplier with a
    similar price?

    Geo

  2. Quoted message said:

    I seem to have developed a craving for one of these hub dynamos now that the
    days are shortening.

    Rose Versand have them listed at a very good price, 53 euro, but when trying
    to order over the web a message is displayed saying that credit cards are not
    accepted (my translation from german). Last time I placed an order with I am
    sure that I used my card. Has anyone used them lately? and did you have to
    use bank transfer? Alternatively is there any other supplier with a similar
    price?

    Geo

    http://www.bike-components.de/
    have the 3N71 for 61.40.

    --
    Mark
    _______________________________________
    Nerves of Steel, Heart of Gold, Knob of Butter

  3. Reyserf said:

    Rose Versand have them listed at a very good price, 53 euro, but
    when trying to order over the web a message is displayed saying that
    credit cards are not accepted (my translation from german). Last
    time I placed an order with I am sure that I used my card. Has
    anyone used them lately? and did you have to use bank transfer?

    I placed an order on Friday and received three `acknowledgement of
    receipt' e-mails (two with no items and one listing contents of
    shopping basket). Hopefully, this will only be treated as exactly one
    order---but there's been no indication of any other problems so far.
    I used a debit card (the first four numbers of which appeared in each
    of the e-mails) rather than a proper credit card.

    --
    Mark

  4. "Mark Williams" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Reyserf said:

    Rose Versand have them listed at a very good price, 53 euro, but
    when trying to order over the web a message is displayed saying that
    credit cards are not accepted (my translation from german). Last
    time I placed an order with I am sure that I used my card. Has
    anyone used them lately? and did you have to use bank transfer?

    I placed an order on Friday and received three `acknowledgement of
    receipt' e-mails (two with no items and one listing contents of
    shopping basket). Hopefully, this will only be treated as exactly one
    order---but there's been no indication of any other problems so far.
    I used a debit card (the first four numbers of which appeared in each
    of the e-mails) rather than a proper credit card.

    --
    Mark

    I have just placed an order and it worked OK. It looks as if my translation
    of the popup message was incorrect. I must have been unlucky and their
    credit card verification system was down when I tried previously.

    Thanks Geo

  5. Reyserf said:

    "Mark Williams" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Reyserf said:

    Rose Versand have them listed at a very good price, 53 euro, but
    when trying to order over the web a message is displayed saying that
    credit cards are not accepted (my translation from german). Last
    time I placed an order with I am sure that I used my card. Has
    anyone used them lately? and did you have to use bank transfer?

    I placed an order on Friday and received three `acknowledgement of
    receipt' e-mails (two with no items and one listing contents of
    shopping basket). Hopefully, this will only be treated as exactly
    one order---but there's been no indication of any other problems so
    far. I used a debit card (the first four numbers of which appeared
    in each of the e-mails) rather than a proper credit card.

    --
    Mark

    I have just placed an order and it worked OK. It looks as if my
    translation of the popup message was incorrect. I must have been
    unlucky and their credit card verification system was down when I
    tried previously.

    Roseversand have an English (FSVO English, but better than my German) site
    as well. They have the item I want but it's €1 with a(n entirely reasonable
    but more than I'd like to pay) €12 postage charge, plus a £1 bank charge
    (cough, spit) for foreign transactions which makes it all a bit pricey.
    --
    Ambrose

  6. Quoted message said:


    ....which makes it all a bit pricey.

    If it is something you cannot get here, let me know. I can order it
    from my German office (German C. Card) and have it delivered there, I
    do this for all German purchases. You can then send me a cheque when I
    have the item, I travel there most weeks.

    --
    Mark
    _______________________________________
    Nerves of Steel, Heart of Gold, Knob of Butter

  7. Mark \(MSA\) said:

    [Rose Versand]

    If it is something you cannot get here, let me know. I can order it
    from my German office (German C. Card) and have it delivered there,

    Is there something special about German credit cards (or some problem
    with using non-German credit cards in Germany)? After having placed
    an order---apparently successfully---last Friday, I received a PDF
    letter by e-mail today saying (according to Babelfish) that they had
    not been able to verify my [VISA] debit card details :-(.

    --
    Mark

  8. Mark Williams said:
    Mark \(MSA\) said:

    [Rose Versand]

    If it is something you cannot get here, let me know. I can order it
    from my German office (German C. Card) and have it delivered there,

    Is there something special about German credit cards (or some problem
    with using non-German credit cards in Germany)?

    Nothing I'm aware of. They often want that additional number on the
    back. I'd suggest you post your credit card details here so I can check
    that together with my friends from Nigeria 8-)

    Günther

  9. When I placed my order the only options for payment were Bank Transfer
    or Credit Card. There was no option for Debit cards so this could be
    the problem ;o)

    Geo

  10. Debit cards like Switch all seem to be non-international in nature, so
    they won't work outside of the country. The 'pre-cash' (bank transfer)
    is a cheap - if often slow - option, cuz if you have the merchent IBAN
    number the banks MAY NOT charge you for an international transfer (they
    still try it on, though, so pas-bloody-auf).

  11. Quoted message said:
    Mark \(MSA\) said:

    [Rose Versand]

    If it is something you cannot get here, let me know. I can order it
    from my German office (German C. Card) and have it delivered there,

    Is there something special about German credit cards (or some problem
    with using non-German credit cards in Germany)? After having placed
    an order---apparently successfully---last Friday, I received a PDF
    letter by e-mail today saying (according to Babelfish) that they had
    not been able to verify my [VISA] debit card details :-(.

    Not as far as I know. Mine is registered to a German bank, and having
    the card address the same as the delivery address makes life easier.

    I've never purchased from Germany using my English card so I do not
    know the right answer.

    Could you have got a number or date wrong? Long shot I know!

    --
    Mark
    _______________________________________
    Nerves of Steel, Heart of Gold, Knob of Butter

  12. Mark (MSA) said:

    ...which makes it all a bit pricey.

    If it is something you cannot get here, let me know. I can order it
    from my German office (German C. Card) and have it delivered there, I
    do this for all German purchases. You can then send me a cheque when
    I have the item, I travel there most weeks.

    Thanks for the offer. I found it subsequently for twice the price (£1.49) at
    SJS cycles, so it's no problem.

    --
    Ambrose

  13. Mark Williams said:
    Mark \(MSA\) said:

    [Rose Versand]

    If it is something you cannot get here, let me know. I can order it
    from my German office (German C. Card) and have it delivered there,

    Is there something special about German credit cards (or some problem
    with using non-German credit cards in Germany)? After having placed
    an order---apparently successfully---last Friday, I received a PDF
    letter by e-mail today saying (according to Babelfish) that they had
    not been able to verify my [VISA] debit card details :-(.

    In my case, it's the bank which levied the charge for a foreign transaction,
    but I understand foreign transactions may be difficult. With the CC terminal
    I use, they ask for postcode and house number details, but can't match them
    with foreign cards.

    As for other posters, I'd have thought Maestro (modern name for Switch)
    cards should work anywhere that takes Mastercard.
    --
    Ambrose

  14. Ambrose Nankivell said:
    Quoted message said:

    [Rose Versand with VISA debit card]

    In my case, it's the bank which levied the charge for a foreign
    transaction, but I understand foreign transactions may be
    difficult. With the CC terminal I use, they ask for postcode and
    house number details, but can't match them with foreign cards.

    I think something similar must have happened with my order, which has
    now arrived. My UK address on its printed label has been
    tutonified---with the order of various parts changed around. I don't
    know whether this happened before or after the card verification, but
    it's possibly related. At one point, there was an allusion to
    problems with matching the name on the card, too. Kudos to the Rose
    Versand staff for their patience and perseverance in sorting it out in
    the end.

    Quoted message said:

    As for other posters, I'd have thought Maestro (modern name for
    Switch) cards should work anywhere that takes Mastercard.

    My bank also said that, in principle, VISA debit cards should work on
    any online shop in the EU that takes VISA [credit cards].

    --
    Mark

  15. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=FCnther?= Schwarz said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is there something special about German credit cards (or some
    problem with using non-German credit cards in Germany)?

    Nothing I'm aware of. They often want that additional number on the
    back. I'd suggest you post your credit card details here so I can
    check that together with my friends from Nigeria 8-)

    Do you also happen to have the contact details for the FORMER WIFE of
    the LATE CHIEF JUSTICE of ZAIRE, which I seem to have temporarily
    mislaid :-)?

    Worryingly, the first thing Rose Versand suggested was that I resend
    the card details to them by e-mail. I'd like to think they were just
    asking for some subset of the information, but the precise
    instructions got lost in translation...

    --
    Mark

  16. Mark Williams said:

    Do you also happen to have the contact details for the FORMER WIFE of
    the LATE CHIEF JUSTICE of ZAIRE, which I seem to have temporarily
    mislaid :-)?

    Oh /everyone/ knows the African ones are a scam. But I got a note from
    a Dutch guy at Abn Amro who's come across an unused account with a few
    million Euros in it, so that's *bound* to be kosher... His name had a
    "van de" in it and I've heard of the bank and, errr, everything.

    Pete
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  17. Peter Clinch said:

    Oh /everyone/ knows the African ones are a scam. But I got a note
    from a Dutch guy at Abn Amro who's come across an unused account with
    a few million Euros in it, so that's *bound* to be kosher... His
    name had a "van de" in it and I've heard of the bank and, errr,
    everything.

    Nice bunch, these Cloggies. They keep selecting my e-mail address at random
    and then winning lotteries with it. Soon I shall have my ten million Euros
    and then I SHALL RULE THE WORLD!!!

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Like Kant, it is my wish to create my own individual epistemology. But
    I also wish to find out what is for pudding.

  18. Dave Larrington said:
    Peter Clinch said:

    Oh /everyone/ knows the African ones are a scam. But I got a note
    from a Dutch guy at Abn Amro who's come across an unused account with
    a few million Euros in it, so that's *bound* to be kosher... His
    name had a "van de" in it and I've heard of the bank and, errr,
    everything.

    Nice bunch, these Cloggies. They keep selecting my e-mail address at random
    and then winning lotteries with it. Soon I shall have my ten million Euros
    and then I SHALL RULE THE WORLD!!!

    Pish. I won't respond to any offer under $100m these days. Too much
    trouble dealing with a trifling few tens of millions here and a few tens
    there. Mind you Mrs Miriam Abacha keeps finding smaller sums but
    altogether they add up to more than the GNP of Africa, which is getting
    towards worthwhile. Her husband must have been a very careless man with
    his money though.

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  19. Mark Williams [email protected] said:
    Ambrose Nankivell said:
    Quoted message said:

    [Rose Versand with VISA debit card]

    In my case, it's the bank which levied the charge for a foreign
    transaction, but I understand foreign transactions may be
    difficult. With the CC terminal I use, they ask for postcode and
    house number details, but can't match them with foreign cards.

    I think something similar must have happened with my order, which has
    now arrived. My UK address on its printed label has been
    tutonified---with the order of various parts changed around.

    A similar thing happened to me when I used Rose a two years ago where the parcel
    went all the way back to Germany because I hadn't given a city in the
    address. I didn't live in a city at the time.

    Anyway, it was the fault of DHL rather than Rose, who were very helpful.

    Regards,

    -david

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.