Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Shimano Flight Deck

Started by Mtoverton · · Last activity · 38 posts · 2,995 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 March 2004
Last activity
20 March 2004
Original author
Mtoverton
Posts
38
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,995
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–38 of 38
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Matt O'Toole said:
    Per Elmsäter said:

    There is a solution to your problem. Depending on which
    feature you are showing it will display the gear
    combination or not. I forgot which one but it's easy to
    find it by just going from one display setting to another
    and then shift. If you don't have your bike handy you can
    Google it since this was discussed here not too many
    months ago.

    I'll check it out. Thanks, Per.

    Matt O.

    I just got off my bike and remembered to check. When you
    have the cadence setting as the main display it will not
    show the gear combo as you change gears.

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  2. "mtoverton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is anyone using the Shimano 6501 Flight Deck computer?
    Like it? Hate it?


    Too

    Quoted message said:

    many bells and whistles? I kinda like the gear indicator
    and the fact that you can punch up info from the buttons
    on your hoods...mto

    I think they are pretty nice. I had one on my mtn bike. The
    cadence function w/out having to run a second wire to your
    cranks is quite nice! If you do the wireless setup then all
    the better.

    The only real downside is when you change your cassette or
    use a wheelset w/ a different cassette than that which is
    programmed into the computer.

    Dave

  3. onefred said:

    The only real downside is when you change your cassette or
    use a wheelset w/ a different cassette than that which is
    programmed into the computer.

    Dave

    That's not really a problem once you learn how to manage
    your flitedeck. You can have four different bikesetups
    programmed so all you need to do is switch between them or
    add new ones as you buy new wheels. Once you've done that a
    couple of times it's really easy.

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  4. Per Elms?ter said:

    Not if your computer wakes up as the wheel spins. That
    makes it seem like it is never going into sleep mode when
    not in use. I have to push a button on the underside of
    the computer to wake it up from sleep mode.

    My impresion was that the 6500 model woke on spin, but the
    current 6501 requires a button press. There are a few other
    subtle differences there as well (different manuals, etc). I
    wish I could press one of the hood buttons to wake my 6501
    instead of requiring the on-computer button.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - [email hidden] - alanhoyle.comalanhoyle.com
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -TMBG
    Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

  5. Matt O'Toole said:

    The gear indicator is neat. It's one of those things I'd
    never think I'd need, but appreciate after having it.

    OK... but why? I must say, I always know what gear I'm
    in anyway...
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> flcl?

  6. David Damerell said:
    Matt O'Toole said:

    The gear indicator is neat. It's one of those things I'd
    never think I'd need, but appreciate after having it.

    OK... but why? I must say, I always know what gear I'm in
    anyway...

    I don't always know exactly which gear I'm in. It's nice to
    be able to throw a quick glance at the gear graphics just
    before I hit an incline, steep bend or anything else where
    I'm liable to maybe outshift the frontring I'm in. Whoops no
    more gears, I gotta double shift, damn, lost my place in the
    paceline coming out of the band and have to burn another
    match to catch up. You know we haven't all grown as one with
    our bikes even though we'd love to. Shimano knows there are
    more of us than you 😉

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  7. David Damerell said:

    Matt O'Toole <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The gear indicator is neat. It's one of those things I'd
    never think I'd need, but appreciate after having it.

    OK... but why? I must say, I always know what gear I'm in
    anyway...

    I don't. I forget all the time. I use the gears intuitively
    and by feel. I'm prone to running cross-chained, etc., if I
    don't remember to check occasionally.

    Matt O.

  8. "David Damerell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Matt O'Toole said:

    The gear indicator is neat. It's one of those things I'd
    never think I'd need, but appreciate after having it.

    OK... but why? I must say, I always know what gear I'm in
    anyway...

    On a tandem, it's a lot easier to look at the computer
    display than to try to look back at the cassette. The
    computer check, however, usually follows an unsuccessful
    casual glance under my right elbow. What creatures of
    habit we are!

    --
    Greg Estep

  9. Mike Jacoubowsky said:


    Reliability of the Shimano Flight Deck seems to be
    directly related to the number that a shop has installed.
    We sell (and install) 400+/year, and the number coming
    back to us, despite the complexity of the interface (not
    just the setup on the computer, but the way the wiring
    harness attaches to the levers), is EXTREMELY low. Its
    reliability is on par with CatEye, which mean excellent.

    Having said that, it's funny how often the few "defective"
    computers are ones installed by newer mechanics. The guys
    who have been around for a while never have them come back
    with problems. It's the sort of thing where after you've
    installed 10 or 20 of them, you've got it down good and
    you'll never have a problem. Most of the issues deal with
    the connection between the harness and the brake lever, by
    the way.

    How is the reliability for those of us who sweat profusely?
    My LBS doesn't recommend the Flight Deck because they say
    they will become unreliable when sweat gets in the hoods. Is
    this a real problem? Any way to overcome it if real?

    -=Dave=-

  10. Greg Estep said:

    "David Damerell" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message

    Quoted message said:
    Matt O'Toole said:

    The gear indicator is neat. It's one of those things I'd
    never think I'd need, but appreciate after having it.


    OK... but why? I must say, I always know what gear I'm in
    anyway...


    On a tandem, it's a lot easier to look at the computer
    display than to try to look back at the cassette.

    At the cassette?

    Ah, I get it; this is a problem with brifters, isn't it? If
    I get mixed up, which doesn't happen very often, I put my
    hand on the gear lever.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]>
    Distortion Field!

  11. Interesting to know. Was going to get one of the net and
    install myself. Think I'll get one from the LBS instead and
    get them to install it. The extra cost is worth it for the
    extra reliability.

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was talking to my LBS about the Flight Deck and he
    recommended against


    it.

    Quoted message said:

    He said that the Cateye products were much less
    complicated and more reliable. In addition, he mentioned
    the availability of rear pickups for other brands. I'm
    still undecided. I do like the simple Cateye computers
    like the Mity 3. Many other brands like the Topeak
    Panoram are too complicated to use.

    Reliability of the Shimano Flight Deck seems to be
    directly related to the number that a shop has installed.
    We sell (and install) 400+/year, and


    the

    Quoted message said:

    number coming back to us, despite the complexity of the
    interface (not


    just

    Quoted message said:

    the setup on the computer, but the way the wiring harness
    attaches to the levers), is EXTREMELY low. Its reliability
    is on par with CatEye, which mean excellent.

    Having said that, it's funny how often the few "defective"
    computers are ones installed by newer mechanics. The guys
    who have been around for a while never have them come back
    with problems. It's the sort of thing


    where

    Quoted message said:

    after you've installed 10 or 20 of them, you've got it
    down good and


    you'll

    Quoted message said:

    never have a problem. Most of the issues deal with the
    connection between the harness and the brake lever, by
    the way.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

  12. Quoted message said:

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

    Beep... Beep... Beep...

  13. Quoted message said:

    Interesting to know. Was going to get one of the net and
    install myself. Think I'll get one from the LBS instead
    and get them to install it. The extra cost is worth it for
    the extra reliability.

    I wasn't trying to scare anybody off, just point out that
    it's not one of the simpler things in life. It's also
    rather time-consuming to install. The biggest advantage to
    buying one from a shop and having them install it is that
    there wouldn't be any finger-pointing if something goes
    wrong (since a good shop will stand behind both the
    product and installation). But still, computer
    installation is one of those things that keeps hair-
    restoration products on the shelves.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

  14. Quoted message said:

    How is the reliability for those of us who sweat
    profusely? My LBS doesn't recommend the Flight Deck
    because they say they will become unreliable when sweat
    gets in the hoods. Is this a real problem? Any way to
    overcome it if real?

    To the best of my knowledge, I haven't seen one damaged by
    sweat. Most sweat drips down the center of the bike; the
    only way for it to get to the lever hoods would be if huge
    amounts were streaming down your arms. If you regularly find
    your lever hoods wet and your handlebar tape saturated, then
    maybe... otherwise, I don't think I'd worry about it.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

  15. onefred said:
    Quoted message said:

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

    Beep... Beep... Beep...

    Sorry you're to smart.

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  16. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    How is the reliability for those of us who sweat
    profusely? My LBS doesn't recommend the Flight Deck
    because they say they will become unreliable when sweat
    gets in the hoods. Is this a real problem? Any way to
    overcome it if real?

    Quoted message said:

    To the best of my knowledge, I haven't seen one damaged by
    sweat. Most sweat drips down the center of the bike; the
    only way for it to get to the lever hoods would be if huge
    amounts were streaming down your arms. If you regularly
    find your lever hoods wet and your handlebar tape
    saturated, then maybe... otherwise, I don't think I'd
    worry about it.

    I think so too. The hoods probably seal water out
    pretty well.

    Matt O.

  17. "David Damerell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Greg Estep said:

    "David Damerell" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message

    Quoted message said:

    Matt O'Toole <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >The gear indicator is neat. It's one of those things
    >I'd never think


    I'd

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >need, but appreciate after having it.
    OK... but why? I must say, I always know what gear I'm
    in anyway...


    On a tandem, it's a lot easier to look at the computer
    display than to


    try

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to look back at the cassette.

    At the cassette?

    Ah, I get it; this is a problem with brifters, isn't it?
    If I get mixed up, which doesn't happen very often, I put
    my hand on the gear lever.

    Even when I ride a bike with down tube shifters I look at
    the cassette. I don't think it's a habit that developed
    after starting to ride STI/Ergo. I'm pretty sure I did it
    even before SIS (index) shifters hit the market. Hell, I
    think I even did it when I rode a bike (Schwin Super Le
    Tour, I think) with shifters mounted at the top of the
    head tube.

    --
    Greg Estep

  18. "Dave" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Jacoubowsky said:


    Reliability of the Shimano Flight Deck seems to be
    directly related to


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    number that a shop has installed. We sell (and install)
    400+/year, and


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    number coming back to us, despite the complexity of the
    interface (not


    just

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the setup on the computer, but the way the wiring
    harness attaches to


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    levers), is EXTREMELY low. Its reliability is on par
    with CatEye, which mean excellent.

    Having said that, it's funny how often the few
    "defective" computers are ones installed by newer
    mechanics. The guys who have been around for a while
    never have them come back with problems. It's the sort
    of thing


    where

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    after you've installed 10 or 20 of them, you've got it
    down good and


    you'll

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    never have a problem. Most of the issues deal with the
    connection


    between

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the harness and the brake lever, by the way.

    How is the reliability for those of us who sweat
    profusely? My LBS doesn't recommend the Flight Deck
    because they say they will become unreliable when sweat
    gets in the hoods. Is this a real problem? Any way to
    overcome it if real?

    Do you wear gloves? If not, they may help w/this problem.

    Dave

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.