Shimano freewheel puller compatibility with other freewheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by meb, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    I keep Shimano freewheel and cassette tools and use a LBS if I need a non-Shimano freewheel removed.

    Someone recently told me Shimano freewheel pullers can be used on Falcon freewheels.

    I put a Shimano freewheel puller into a removed Falcon freewheel and it fits into the splines with some play.

    I put the Shimano freewheel puller into a new uninstalled Sachs freewheel and it goes into the splines very snugly with mild effort.

    A Park tool Shimano cassette tool does not fit.

    Can the Shimano freewheel puller be used to pull these freewheels if installed or would there be risk of stripping splines?

    If so, is the risk slight or mild?

    Tags:

  2. Vee

    Vee Guest

    meb wrote:

    > Can the Shimano freewheel puller be used to pull these freewheels if
    > installed or would there be risk of stripping splines?

    Shimano, Sachs, and Sun Race freewheels use the same tool. Falcon
    freewheels need a different tool. The splines of a Shimano-type tool
    can round off in a Falcon freewheel.

    -Vee

  3. Vee wrote:
    > meb wrote:
    >
    >> Can the Shimano freewheel puller be used to pull these freewheels if
    >> installed or would there be risk of stripping splines?

    > Shimano, Sachs, and Sun Race freewheels use the same tool. Falcon
    > freewheels need a different tool. The splines of a Shimano-type tool
    > can round off in a Falcon freewheel.
    >
    > -Vee

    I attempt the fat-splined one first. If it doesn't fit, I use the
    skinny-splined one. That way, I always use the right one.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training