jackchoo said:hi, my R540's suffered due to being not used/maintained for 2 years. Now all the spokes have rust on them. As a weekend project, I plan to restore these wheels and use them on a soon to be restored old steel frame (road bike).
- sand them down to remove all the rust
- put on a coat of anti-rust primer
- paint them back to matt black using a small brush (original colour)
questions is, after sanding, is the wheel still 'safe' for normal use (I don't race and hardly go beyond 30km/h).
- Are the above steps reasonable?
- Is there an easier way to remove the rust? WD40?
- how should I maintain the wheels to prevent rusting after restoration? I am about 300m from the sea and its hot and humid over here!
Appreciate any thoughts/advice. Thanks in advance!
I have no idea what your spokes are made of, but stainless steel will indeed rust. It depends on the specific type of stainless steel, the conditions, etc. I have boat parts including a SS propeller that get a little rust from time to time.
My MTB has stainless spokes (unpainted) and they do indeed get a little patina of rust on them. My opinion is that maybe these spokes are lower quality, but the SS prop on my outboard that gets a little rust from time to time certainly isn't low quality or cheap. Regardless, it's not a big deal and is easy to remove.
It was recommended to me and I in turn recommend to you not to use sandpaper or steel wool to remove the rust. Use a common kitchen 3M type scrub pad. I also have some white 3-M pad, very fine, that I use on the bottom of my XC skis and it works well and is very mild in terms of abrasiveness. Don't use the real tough heavy duty 3M stuff used for stripping paint, but just the mild ones used in the kitchen. It removes rust from stainless steel spokes very readily and easily and polishes them up. If you want it wouldn't hurt to use a little WD40, but I don't think it's necessary and would make subsequent painting harder.
You might consider just removing the rust with the scrub pad and leavin as-is. I buff up my spokes every year or so when I notice they look a little orange. If you want them back to the original painted look, you'll have to get all the rust completely off, clean off any residue and/or oils completely, prime and paint. Just look for a primer suitable for stainless steel. I don't know if it would be anything special, but make sure it will work on SS. Then, you'd just use any spray enamel or brush on product of your choosing.