Shimano Recall

Kurd

Guest
Uh oh, look what showed up in my email box today:

Potential safety concern affecting certain Shimano front wheel quick release
skewers
supplied after 21 October 2005

Dear customer,

We are writing to inform you of a potential safety issue concerning a
Shimano model of 'quick release' skewer that is fitted to front wheels. In
certain cases, it is possible that after the 'quick release' skewer is
locked into position, it could fail or break spontaneously. If this happens
during cycling, the cyclist may lose control of the bicycle, which could
lead to serious injuries.

As a precautionary measure, and in the interests of putting the safety of
consumers first, Shimano is urgently drawing up plans for corrective action
in respect of the potentially affected products.

The affected 'quick release' skewers could have been included with Shimano
front hubs and with Shimano front wheels supplied to you after 21 October
2005.

The only potentially affected Shimano hubs carry the following codes, which
are clearly printed on the hubs:

HB-5501 HB-5600
HB-6600 HB-7800
HB-M756 HB-M760
HB-M765 HB-M960
HB-M965 DH-2N71
DH-3N71 DH-3D71
HB-HF08

The only potentially affected Shimano wheels carry the following codes,
which are clearly printed on the hubs:

WH-7801 WH-7801C
WH-7801C50
WH-7801SL WH-M965
WH-R600

At this stage, we need to know the number of potentially affected products
held by and distributed by you. To that end, we would be grateful if you
could:

1. Check the quantity of hubs and/or wheels that you have
in stock which carry the above codes and were delivered by Shimano to you
after 21 October 2005, and
2. Indicate the number of bicycles and/or individual
packages carrying the affected hubs and/or wheels you have already shipped
out.

When we have this information, we will contact you to discuss the
arrangements for checking your stock for potentially affected products and
to arrange for the supply to you of replacement parts (please use attached
Excel format to report above mentioned request 1 and 2).

In the meantime and until further notice from us, you should freeze all
shipments of stock of potentially affected hubs and wheels.

"Kurd" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Uh oh, look what showed up in my email box today:
>
> Potential safety concern affecting certain Shimano front wheel quick
> release skewers
> supplied after 21 October 2005

Who sent you this? I could not find any recall information on either the
Shimano nor the CPSC web sites.

On Fri, 19 May 2006 00:29:53 +0000 (UTC), Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Kurd" <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>> Uh oh, look what showed up in my email box today:
>>
>> Potential safety concern affecting certain Shimano front wheel quick
>> release skewers
>> supplied after 21 October 2005

>Who sent you this? I could not find any recall information on either the
>Shimano nor the CPSC web sites.

Seems like a wide span of product to all have the same problem; 105,
Ultegra, DuraAce, XT and XTR and why only the fronts? Are the rears
made from entirely different billet stock?

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

> Seems like a wide span of product to all have the same problem; 105,
> Ultegra, DuraAce, XT and XTR and why only the fronts? Are the rears
> made from entirely different billet stock?

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that there was a problem in the way the
skewer end of the axle was formed. On a Shimano-type quick release, as the
end of the axle there's essentially a cylinder (in line with the axle) that
has a very large hole in it, in which the quick release cam revolves. If
this hole was formed off-center, the quick release could snap at that point,
causing failure. If I recall correctly, there's little (if any) difference
in that design across the various models... and the fronts have a different
diameter from the rears, thus probably not manufactured (or
mis-manufactured) in the same way.

But that's *only* a guess.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...

Ken wrote:
> "Kurd" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>> Uh oh, look what showed up in my email box today:
>>
>> Potential safety concern affecting certain Shimano front wheel quick
>> release skewers
>> supplied after 21 October 2005

> Who sent you this? I could not find any recall information on either the
> Shimano nor the CPSC web sites.

Some part of the Shimano organisation closer to Japan than Europe. Here
it is skewers shipped after 1 November ;)

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Kurd" <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>> Uh oh, look what showed up in my email box today:
>>
>> Potential safety concern affecting certain Shimano front wheel quick
>> release skewers
>> supplied after 21 October 2005

>Who sent you this? I could not find any recall information on either the
>Shimano nor the CPSC web sites.

Well, THAT explains why my distributor (QBP) listed their Ultegra
wheels as not having front skewers, and are out of stock of all the
"mid-range" Shimano skewers. I did manage to order a "cheaper Shimano
steel skewer" to complete the build fortunately...

Wish I had bought stock in an aftermarket skewer company though...
;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

I didn't want to say who told me earlier before the news got out. Really
didn't want to get into trouble at work. I've only been here a couple of
months- no point in getting fired keep other people safe.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Ken <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Kurd" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>> Uh oh, look what showed up in my email box today:
>>>
>>> Potential safety concern affecting certain Shimano front wheel quick
>>> release skewers
>>> supplied after 21 October 2005

>> Who sent you this? I could not find any recall information on
>> either the Shimano nor the CPSC web sites.

> Well, THAT explains why my distributor (QBP) listed their Ultegra
> wheels as not having front skewers, and are out of stock of all the
> "mid-range" Shimano skewers. I did manage to order a "cheaper Shimano
> steel skewer" to complete the build fortunately...
>
> Wish I had bought stock in an aftermarket skewer company though...
> ;-)

Well with the disc brake threads, it appears that the only skewers
appropriate for a front disc brake is Campy! ;)
--
Phil

> What is customer to do? Just bought a bike with one of the hubs
> mentioned.

Just visit your LBS; take the QR with you and get a free exchange!

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Martin Borsje wrote:

> Just visit your LBS; take the QR with you and get a free exchange!

yesterday I phoned my LBS. Their answer was: "just keep on using it. We
haven't seen a single QR fail yet. You can come back with the part as soon
as we hear officially from Shimano". Great LBS, huh?

I exchanged it for a 9S D-A QR myself.

Greets, Derk

> Martin Borsje wrote:
>
>> Just visit your LBS; take the QR with you and get a free exchange!

> yesterday I phoned my LBS. Their answer was: "just keep on using it. We
> haven't seen a single QR fail yet. You can come back with the part as soon
> as we hear officially from Shimano". Great LBS, huh?
>
> I exchanged it for a 9S D-A QR myself.
>
> Greets, Derk

Might present him this link:

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish...inContent-0011-DownloadFile.tmp/ZA-GB.pdf.pdf

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:

>> Well, THAT explains why my distributor (QBP) listed their Ultegra
>> wheels as not having front skewers, and are out of stock of all the
>> "mid-range" Shimano skewers. I did manage to order a "cheaper Shimano
>> steel skewer" to complete the build fortunately...
>>
>> Wish I had bought stock in an aftermarket skewer company though...
>> ;-)

>Well with the disc brake threads, it appears that the only skewers
>appropriate for a front disc brake is Campy! ;)

And strangely enough, the only front QR skewer that I ever broke WAS a
Campy Chorus QR... guess I'm doomed to go through life living on the
edge!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com