Shimano rp9 shoes?

Dansky

Jan 25, 2010
Here in the US, I can't seem to locate a source to try on a pair of Shimano's new RP9 shoes. I like the idea of moving up to a heat moldable shoe, and it looks like the Shimanos accommodate slightly wider feet.
11241781-1074365105248667.jpg

I live close to Chicago, and none of the listed Shimano dealers actually carry their road shoes...I'm going down the online list, one by one. Called their US headquarters in California today and after being put on automatic hold for 20 minutes, I figured there must be an easier way to buy these shoes.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

ProBikeKit has limited sizes in Black for $202, free shipping.

WesternBikeWorks (same as BikeTiresDirect) has them here in the States, but at $190. Black and a decent selection of sizes.

shimaNO is selling direct on Amazon, but at $268.

Finding a stocking dealer would be the only way I would buy shoes though. Just how my feet roll.

Shimano claims that all current road shoe models use the same last, so you can size yourself with any model a local shop has in stock. I've found that to be true except for the lower priced models that don't use a full carbon fiber sole.

Reactions: Dansky
Thanks, fellers. I should have clarified that I too, need to try the shoes on at a stocking dealer. I found them online as well, but it's been a challenge to find them at any bike stores here in Chicagoland, which surprised me.

Shimano claims that all current road shoe models use the same last, so you can size yourself with any model a local shop has in stock. I've found that to be true except for the lower priced models that don't use a full carbon fiber sole.

I will have to remember that. Performance does price match and I kind of dislike trying-and-not-buying. They're my go to guys for shimaNO shoes. Performance does show the RP9's online, but for $275?. For crying out loud...

I'm guessing a Performance brick store would get them for Dansky or he could do the in-store pickup thing and do an immediate return if not to his liking...AND get the price match.

BTW, I figured out what you meant when you said the Spesh Varus shoes did not work with your (at least I seem to recall it was you that told me about your condition) Hallux Rigidus.

BTW, I figured out what you meant when you said the Spesh Varus shoes did not work with your (at least I seem to recall it was you that told me about your condition) Hallux Rigidus.
Yeah, I think it's just wrong to mess with gait by default. The normal foot is designed to be flat on the ground, with the heel, the first metatarsal head, and the fifth metatarsal head sharing the load. And the first metatarsal head leads the push-off. If the knee is tracking to the inside, the first remedy would be to support the arch and stabilize the heel.

The running shoe business does this right, especially with the range of good aftermarket insoles available. In the early 1980s I had a pair of Brooks trainers with a built-in varus wedge. I thought, hooray, no more pronation, but the guy who normally sold me running shoes took one look at my feet and said, "Look at how your feet are trying to slide off the outsides of your shoes. You'll hurt you feet, and maybe your knees, too." I got rid of them right away.

Shimano has a very similar fit without the varus wedge. Very intelligent.

Last edited:
I used BikeFit wedges to correct the unneeded correction. Comfy shoes now.

I ride with 6 MM worth of leg length shims sandwiched between the sole and cleat, so packing in the 1° worth of shim 'back correction' in was easy.