Shimano Sora FH-3500... No info on Shimano website?

benwarren

Jul 29, 2013
Hi,

I purchased a Shimano Sora FH-3500 rear hub as a budget option to upgrade my cheap road bike from Amazon (I know, biggest mistake ever). The issue is, I cant find anything on Shimano's webpage, which is here [http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50rparsys-0034-downloadFile.html/07)%20Hub%20Specs.pdf] As you can see, there is the Shimano Sora FH-3300, which I am 90% sure is different, as I purchased my hub from Evans Cycles [http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/sora-3500-quick-release-road-rear-hub-ec050597#select]. Has anyone ever measured the hub, or have any knowledge of how the dimensions compare to the FH-3300? I need to find out the measurements for spoke length calculation, and I don't trust myself to measure them myself, plus I don't own a caliper.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

FWIW. While the measurements may be incrementally different for different Shimano hubs, for practical purposes almost all Shimano LOW-FLANGE Road hubs have essentially the same dimensions, respectively, for their front & rear hubs regardless of the contours of the space between the flanges ...

• the clear exception is the next generation of 11-speed rear hubs
  • the other Shimano hubs which are known to have different dimensions are their HIGH-FLANGE MTB disc & HIGH-FLANGE track hubs ...

Consequently, I would treat the SORA 3500 hub as if it has the same specs as the SORA 3300 hub.

BTW. The spoke calculators will will yield fractional numbers ... I generally round DOWN to the nearest whole number (which is why the minuscule variance in the calculated spoke length is of little actual consequence) ...

• presuming you have a 32h hub & rim, you are probably looking at ~295mm and/or ~294mm spokes for your rear hub if you lace the rear wheel x3 on both sides

Reactions: benwarren
Thanks for your response, I have decided I will take it down to the shop where I bought it, and ask them to measure it for me, or if they have the 3300 to compare, thanks a lot. PS. I have 36 Hole, not sure how that compares :p

Originally Posted by benwarren .

Thanks for your response, I have decided I will take it down to the shop where I bought it, and ask them to measure it for me, or if they have the 3300 to compare, thanks a lot.

PS. I have 36 Hole, not sure how that compares :p
BTW. Unless they are damaged, you can generally re-use the spokes which are on your current (rear) wheel ...

• I presume the spoke length for your 36h rear wheel is about 290mm I am presuming a typical 700c rim, BTW
  • you should rely on your actual measurements a metric tape measure is VERY BENEFICIAL for determining the spoke length to use if you do not have a database which contains all the relevant hub-and-rim information + to verify actual spoke lengths
[*] be aware that the driveside spokes are shorter than the non-driveside spokes AND you don't want to mix them up with one another!

You may-or-may-not want to use new nipples -- DT nipples can be deformed more readily than the generic chrome plated brass nipples can -- it can be a practical OR cosmetic issue.

Reactions: benwarren
My bike is only about 6 or 7 months old, only roughly 800 miles done, they look in good shape except they could do with a clean, I will see if they fit well or not then, thanks a lot :)