Shimano Ultegra 9sp VS 10sp levers

KERRY MONTGOMERY

Guest
Will Shimano Ultegra 10 speed levers work as replacements for Ultegra 9
speed levers?
Thanks,
Kerry

> Will Shimano Ultegra 10 speed levers work as replacements for Ultegra 9
> speed levers?
> Thanks,
> Kerry

Kerry: There's a different amount of cable pull with the two levers, as the
spacing is tighter between cogs on the 10-speed equipment. You can get
around this somewhat with a pulley-type gadget that changes the effective
throw, but unless you plan to upgrade everything to 10-speed down the road,
things will probably work better with 9-speed levers.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

>> Will Shimano Ultegra 10 speed levers work as replacements for Ultegra 9
>> speed levers?
>> Thanks,
>> Kerry

> Kerry: There's a different amount of cable pull with the two levers, as
> the spacing is tighter between cogs on the 10-speed equipment. You can get
> around this somewhat with a pulley-type gadget that changes the effective
> throw, but unless you plan to upgrade everything to 10-speed down the
> road, things will probably work better with 9-speed levers.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Mike,
Thanks much - makes perfect sense. Had a chance at a pair of 10-speed
levers for not a lot of money, and have read a fair bit on this newsgroup
about the likelihood and cost of replacing Shimano levers. I'll stick with
the 9-speed ones.
Thanks again,
Kerry

In article <[email protected]>,
"KERRY MONTGOMERY" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >> Will Shimano Ultegra 10 speed levers work as replacements for Ultegra 9
> >> speed levers?
> >> Thanks,
> >> Kerry

> > Kerry: There's a different amount of cable pull with the two levers, as
> > the spacing is tighter between cogs on the 10-speed equipment. You can get
> > around this somewhat with a pulley-type gadget that changes the effective
> > throw, but unless you plan to upgrade everything to 10-speed down the
> > road, things will probably work better with 9-speed levers.

Eh? I'm thinking he just needs to replace the cassette.

> Mike,
> Thanks much - makes perfect sense. Had a chance at a pair of 10-speed
> levers for not a lot of money, and have read a fair bit on this newsgroup
> about the likelihood and cost of replacing Shimano levers. I'll stick with
> the 9-speed ones.
> Thanks again,
> Kerry

You'd have to replace the cassette as well. The derailers would continue
to work.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

Shimano's shift ratio has remained constant from the start of the SIS
era (6-speed) with the sole exception of Dura-Ace 8. This means
virtually any Shimano rear derailer can be used to shift any matched
cassette/shifter set. I run a 6-7 speed 105 rear derailer with an
otherwise-9 speed group on my cyclocross bike. At the extremes jockey
wheel width or cage narrowness might become an issue, but not with my
6-9 setup.

The bad news is that 10v cassettes can cost more than same-group
derailers. So it's not like you're getting away with much, unless your
cassette is worn out already.

Of course, the fun solution is to use new-Campy 9 shifters, old-Campy 9
rder, whatever fder you like, and shift across Shimano 9 cassettes. Like
I do on my race bike. It works nicely.

KERRY MONTGOMERY wrote:
> Will Shimano Ultegra 10 speed levers work as replacements for Ultegra 9
> speed levers?
> Thanks,
> Kerry

yep but gotta have a 10s cogset and chain...all else is compatible with
10s STI.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Of course, the fun solution is to use new-Campy 9 shifters, old-Campy 9
> rder, whatever fder you like, and shift across Shimano 9 cassettes. Like
> I do on my race bike. It works nicely.

An even easier solution is to get Campy 10 shifters and keep everything
else Shimano 9. By changing the cable routing on the rder, they will
shift just fine.

>> > Kerry: There's a different amount of cable pull with the two levers, as
>> > the spacing is tighter between cogs on the 10-speed equipment. You can
>> > get
>> > around this somewhat with a pulley-type gadget that changes the
>> > effective
>> > throw, but unless you plan to upgrade everything to 10-speed down the
>> > road, things will probably work better with 9-speed levers.

> Eh? I'm thinking he just needs to replace the cassette.

Chain & cassette. Rear derailleur shouldn't be a problem, while the front
derailleur, in my opinion, isn't a perfect match (9spd on 10spd system) but
is workable. But his original question dealt only with running 10 speed
levers on a 9 speed setup. I brought up the possiblity of conversion as an
afterthought. It wasn't his idea originally, but thinking about it, it may
make sense in this case.

Ron Ruff wrote:

> An even easier solution is to get Campy 10 shifters and keep everything
> else Shimano 9. By changing the cable routing on the rder, they will
> shift just fine.

Is there a picture of this alternative routing somewhere? I may need that
too in the future.

Derk

On 12 Jan 2007 16:33:26 -0800, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>An even easier solution is to get Campy 10 shifters and keep everything
>else Shimano 9. By changing the cable routing on the rder, they will
>shift just fine.

Why do you need to change the cable routing on the front derailleur?

Derk wrote:
> Ron Ruff wrote:
>
>> An even easier solution is to get Campy 10 shifters and keep everything
>> else Shimano 9. By changing the cable routing on the rder, they will
>> shift just fine.

> Is there a picture of this alternative routing somewhere? I may need that
> too in the future.

"wrong" side of the anchor bolt

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

In article <[email protected]>,
A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Derk wrote:
> > Ron Ruff wrote:
> >
> >> An even easier solution is to get Campy 10 shifters and keep everything
> >> else Shimano 9. By changing the cable routing on the rder, they will
> >> shift just fine.

> > Is there a picture of this alternative routing somewhere? I may need that
> > too in the future.

> "wrong" side of the anchor bolt

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

About 2/3 down the page, mod credited to Brian Jenks of Hubbub Cycles.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946
>
> About 2/3 down the page, mod credited to Brian Jenks of Hubbub Cycles.

Yup.

I'd like to add that on my DA rder I needed to bend that washer tab
down a little more sharply to get it to stay in place. Also, the der
travels just a hair more than it should. Shifts fine though. Maybe I'll
play with a custom cut aluminum spacer to see if I can make it perfect.
I'm thinking that the cable needs to route a little farther yet away
from the bolt.