Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Shimano XT Disc - pistons sticking

Started by Dave · · Last activity · 10 posts · 395 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
7 June 2004
Last activity
10 June 2004
Original author
Dave
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
395
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a new pair of XT Disc brakes. By mistake I pumped the lever while the
    wheel was off the bike and now the pistons stick a bit. I tried pushing them
    back in the bore with the end of a 10 mil wrench but they they don't retract
    all the way after the lever is squeezed now. Plus I lost a lot of my lever
    throw.

    I heard you can pump them out a bit, put a drop of mineral oil on each one,
    push 'em back in and it should fix the problem. Can anyone verify this
    before I start looking around for where to buy some Shimano Mineral Oil ?
    Any other fixes for this prob?

    Thanks in advance...Dave

  2. Dave said:

    I have a new pair of XT Disc brakes. By mistake I pumped the lever
    while the wheel was off the bike and now the pistons stick a bit. I
    tried pushing them back in the bore with the end of a 10 mil wrench
    but they they don't retract all the way after the lever is squeezed
    now. Plus I lost a lot of my lever throw.

    I heard you can pump them out a bit, put a drop of mineral oil on
    each one, push 'em back in and it should fix the problem. Can anyone
    verify this before I start looking around for where to buy some
    Shimano Mineral Oil ? Any other fixes for this prob?

    Thanks in advance...Dave

    You're going to have to be very careful with the oil, but I don't think
    it'll work. You can use any mineral oil. It doesn't have to be Shimano. I
    think you will probably need to bleed the brakes though.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. Dave said:

    I have a new pair of XT Disc brakes. By mistake I pumped the lever
    while the wheel was off the bike and now the pistons stick a bit. I
    tried pushing them back in the bore with the end of a 10 mil wrench
    but they they don't retract all the way after the lever is squeezed
    now. Plus I lost a lot of my lever throw.

    I heard you can pump them out a bit, put a drop of mineral oil on
    each one, push 'em back in and it should fix the problem. Can anyone
    verify this before I start looking around for where to buy some
    Shimano Mineral Oil ? Any other fixes for this prob?

    Thanks in advance...Dave

    I always use a kitchen knife when I need to push them back in. That way I
    can push evenly both from above and below and don't have to worry about
    scraping them.
    Be really careful with oil of any kind as it will ruin the pads if spread to
    them.

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  4. Quoted message said:

    Be really careful with oil of any kind as it will ruin the pads if
    spread to them.

    No, it won't. You can burn off impurities that get into the pad with a
    stove or a blowtorch.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. ZeeExSixAre said:
    Quoted message said:

    Be really careful with oil of any kind as it will ruin the pads if
    spread to them.

    No, it won't. You can burn off impurities that get into the pad with
    a stove or a blowtorch.

    I've never tried it. But I have heard both success and disaster stories
    about blowtorches and such. I'd still be real careful.

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  6. Per Elmsäter said:
    ZeeExSixAre said:
    Quoted message said:

    Be really careful with oil of any kind as it will ruin the pads if
    spread to them.

    No, it won't. You can burn off impurities that get into the pad with
    a stove or a blowtorch.

    I've never tried it. But I have heard both success and disaster
    stories about blowtorches and such. I'd still be real careful.

    Although my experience is limited to Avid Mechs and Hayes pads, in all the
    three cases where I've burned off the pads (using a stove), normal to
    extraordinary performance returned.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. "ZeeExSixAre" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Per Elmsäter said:
    ZeeExSixAre said:

    > Be really careful with oil of any kind as it will ruin the pads if
    > spread to them.

    No, it won't. You can burn off impurities that get into the pad with
    a stove or a blowtorch.

    I've never tried it. But I have heard both success and disaster
    stories about blowtorches and such. I'd still be real careful.

    Although my experience is limited to Avid Mechs and Hayes pads, in all the
    three cases where I've burned off the pads (using a stove), normal to
    extraordinary performance returned.

    Same here with Hope mini. Full performance returned, for 5 minutes, until
    the pad material ripped itself off the pad plate. Seems the glue doesn't
    like to get that hot, so, be careful if going this route.

    Shaun aRe

  8. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Per Elmsäter said:

    ZeeExSixAre wrote:
    >> Be really careful with oil of any kind as it will ruin the pads if
    >> spread to them.
    >
    > No, it won't. You can burn off impurities that get into the pad with
    > a stove or a blowtorch.

    I've never tried it. But I have heard both success and disaster
    stories about blowtorches and such. I'd still be real careful.

    Although my experience is limited to Avid Mechs and Hayes pads, in all


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    three cases where I've burned off the pads (using a stove), normal to
    extraordinary performance returned.

    Same here with Hope mini. Full performance returned, for 5 minutes, until
    the pad material ripped itself off the pad plate. Seems the glue doesn't
    like to get that hot, so, be careful if going this route.

    No problem here with both XTR and XT pads. The glue's holding after several
    cookings, but I admit I was concerned about this.

    Dave

  9. "Pistof" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Shaun Rimmer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > ZeeExSixAre wrote:
    >>> Be really careful with oil of any kind as it will ruin the pads if
    >>> spread to them.
    >>
    >> No, it won't. You can burn off impurities that get into the pad


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> a stove or a blowtorch.
    >
    > I've never tried it. But I have heard both success and disaster
    > stories about blowtorches and such. I'd still be real careful.

    Although my experience is limited to Avid Mechs and Hayes pads, in all


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    three cases where I've burned off the pads (using a stove), normal to
    extraordinary performance returned.

    Same here with Hope mini. Full performance returned, for 5 minutes,


    until

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the pad material ripped itself off the pad plate. Seems the glue doesn't
    like to get that hot, so, be careful if going this route.

    No problem here with both XTR and XT pads. The glue's holding after


    several

    Quoted message said:

    cookings, but I admit I was concerned about this.

    Good for you dude! I was lucky, in that I was riding in front of the house
    trying to bed the pads back in when it happened, and not braking for a
    corner on a fast DH...still made me nervous though...

    Shaun aRe

  10. "Chris Phillipo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Although my experience is limited to Avid Mechs and Hayes pads, in all


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    three cases where I've burned off the pads (using a stove), normal to
    extraordinary performance returned.

    Same here with Hope mini. Full performance returned, for 5 minutes,


    until

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the pad material ripped itself off the pad plate. Seems the glue doesn't
    like to get that hot, so, be careful if going this route.

    Shaun aRe

    May I just say you people are CHEAP 🙂

    Hey silly - y'all misspelled 'poor'! ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.