General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Shirataki! Oh yeah! :-)

Started by OmManiPadmeOmelet · · Last activity · 13 posts · 1,251 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 November 2005
Last activity
10 November 2005
Original author
OmManiPadmeOmelet
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,251
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I finally remembered to look for them when I was at the oriental market
    on Friday... They were in the refrigerated section.

    Just made some chicken foot stock with onion, garlic, white pepper,
    lemon peel and fresh ginger.

    Strained it off, added straw mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts
    and....... Shirataki.

    Low carb and OH so good!!! It's going to be nice to be able to enjoy
    noodle soup again and still stay low carb! They are wonderful.

    Thanks to all that suggested them!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  2. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally remembered to look for them when I was at the oriental market
    on Friday... They were in the refrigerated section.

    Just made some chicken foot stock with onion, garlic, white pepper,
    lemon peel and fresh ginger.

    Strained it off, added straw mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts
    and....... Shirataki.

    Low carb and OH so good!!! It's going to be nice to be able to enjoy
    noodle soup again and still stay low carb! They are wonderful.

    Thanks to all that suggested them!
    --
    Om.

    Wait, how'd I miss this thread? I try to go low carb, too and I love Asian.
    Recipe (again) please?

    kili

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    kilikini said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally remembered to look for them when I was at the oriental market
    on Friday... They were in the refrigerated section.

    Just made some chicken foot stock with onion, garlic, white pepper,
    lemon peel and fresh ginger.

    Strained it off, added straw mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts
    and....... Shirataki.

    Low carb and OH so good!!! It's going to be nice to be able to enjoy
    noodle soup again and still stay low carb! They are wonderful.

    Thanks to all that suggested them!
    --
    Om.

    Wait, how'd I miss this thread? I try to go low carb, too and I love Asian.
    Recipe (again) please?

    kili

    Sorry luv! Shirataki threads run on alt.support.diet.low-carb
    more than they do here. :-)

    Package label: 2 grams carbs per serving, 2.5 servings per package,
    serving size is 3 oz. They are a wet noodle in the refrigerated section.
    Made from yams, I understand the net carbs are even lower but my
    packages have no fiber count so I'm not sure. To me, 1 package (2.5
    servings) is about right for a good bowl of noodle soup. :-) That is
    only 5 grams of carbs. Most noodles would be 10 to 20 times that!!!

    Suitable for any asian recipes, and I'm tempted to try them with a white
    sauce!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    kilikini said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally remembered to look for them when I was at the oriental market
    on Friday... They were in the refrigerated section.

    Just made some chicken foot stock with onion, garlic, white pepper,
    lemon peel and fresh ginger.

    Strained it off, added straw mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts
    and....... Shirataki.

    Low carb and OH so good!!! It's going to be nice to be able to enjoy
    noodle soup again and still stay low carb! They are wonderful.

    Thanks to all that suggested them!
    --
    Om.

    Wait, how'd I miss this thread? I try to go low carb, too and I love Asian.
    Recipe (again) please?

    kili

    Sorry luv! Shirataki threads run on alt.support.diet.low-carb
    more than they do here. :-)

    Package label: 2 grams carbs per serving, 2.5 servings per package,
    serving size is 3 oz. They are a wet noodle in the refrigerated section.
    Made from yams, I understand the net carbs are even lower but my
    packages have no fiber count so I'm not sure. To me, 1 package (2.5
    servings) is about right for a good bowl of noodle soup. :-) That is
    only 5 grams of carbs. Most noodles would be 10 to 20 times that!!!

    Suitable for any asian recipes, and I'm tempted to try them with a white
    sauce!

    I've had them with tuna, shrimp or other seafood and alfredo sauce (with
    added cheese) -- they're GREAT! Thanks for reminding me that I need to
    get some more!

    I also have them with spaghetti sauce. I don't care for them in soup so
    much, for some reason, even though I LOVE soup. Aside from the low-carb
    aspect, what's really nice about shiritaki noodles is that they stay al
    dente, no matter how long they sit in liquid, so I can make up several
    servings of something and keep them in the fridge for several days
    without ever getting mushy noodles.

    I find them in the cold TOFU section of my (large) local Asian grocery
    store, not in the cold noodle section.

    --
    Saffire
    205/130/125
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

  5. OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : I finally remembered to look for them when I was at the oriental market
    : on Friday... They were in the refrigerated section.

    Do you happen to know where they sit on the sodium spectrum?
    That's my husband's particular bugaboo.
    --thelma
    : --
    : Om.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Saffire said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    kilikini said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > I finally remembered to look for them when I was at the oriental market
    > on Friday... They were in the refrigerated section.
    >
    > Just made some chicken foot stock with onion, garlic, white pepper,
    > lemon peel and fresh ginger.
    >
    > Strained it off, added straw mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts
    > and....... Shirataki.
    >
    > Low carb and OH so good!!! It's going to be nice to be able to enjoy
    > noodle soup again and still stay low carb! They are wonderful.
    >
    > Thanks to all that suggested them!
    > --
    > Om.
    >

    Wait, how'd I miss this thread? I try to go low carb, too and I love
    Asian.
    Recipe (again) please?

    kili

    Sorry luv! Shirataki threads run on alt.support.diet.low-carb
    more than they do here. :-)

    Package label: 2 grams carbs per serving, 2.5 servings per package,
    serving size is 3 oz. They are a wet noodle in the refrigerated section.
    Made from yams, I understand the net carbs are even lower but my
    packages have no fiber count so I'm not sure. To me, 1 package (2.5
    servings) is about right for a good bowl of noodle soup. :-) That is
    only 5 grams of carbs. Most noodles would be 10 to 20 times that!!!

    Suitable for any asian recipes, and I'm tempted to try them with a white
    sauce!

    I've had them with tuna, shrimp or other seafood and alfredo sauce (with
    added cheese) -- they're GREAT! Thanks for reminding me that I need to
    get some more!

    Welcome and thanks for the ideas!

    Quoted message said:


    I also have them with spaghetti sauce. I don't care for them in soup so
    much, for some reason, even though I LOVE soup. Aside from the low-carb
    aspect, what's really nice about shiritaki noodles is that they stay al
    dente, no matter how long they sit in liquid, so I can make up several
    servings of something and keep them in the fridge for several days
    without ever getting mushy noodles.

    I made 5 quarts and dad and I ate two, so I am freezing 2 of them to see
    what happens. Since most of the noodles ended up in our bowls, this will
    be a good test to see how they freeze, cooked.

    Quoted message said:


    I find them in the cold TOFU section of my (large) local Asian grocery
    store, not in the cold noodle section.

    At our asian market, the cold noodles are up with the refrigerated dried
    shrimp and fish. The tofu buckets are back in the produce section.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Thelma Lubkin said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : I finally remembered to look for them when I was at the oriental market
    : on Friday... They were in the refrigerated section.

    Do you happen to know where they sit on the sodium spectrum?
    That's my husband's particular bugaboo.
    --thelma
    : --
    : Om.

    You have my empathy on that one... Keep in mind, most oriental noodles
    sodium content comes from the flavor packet, not the noodles.

    My packet says 0 (zero) mg. per serving.

    Your sodium is going to come from whatever you add them to. :-)

    Hope this helps???

    Om (who also hs a fluid retention problem and sodium issue...)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I finally remembered to look for them when I was at the oriental market
    on Friday... They were in the refrigerated section.

    Just made some chicken foot stock with onion, garlic, white pepper,
    lemon peel and fresh ginger.

    Strained it off, added straw mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts
    and....... Shirataki.

    Low carb and OH so good!!! It's going to be nice to be able to enjoy
    noodle soup again and still stay low carb! They are wonderful.

    Thanks to all that suggested them!

    Glad you enjoy them. Me too. :-) I'm partial to simmered pork stock
    with tofu, napa, mushrooms, and shirataki -- when it's cold out and the
    wind is rattling the windows. The steam clears out my sinuses. Ah!

    Priscilla
    --
    "Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
    the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Sorry luv! Shirataki threads run on alt.support.diet.low-carb
    more than they do here. :-)

    Package label: 2 grams carbs per serving, 2.5 servings per package,
    serving size is 3 oz. They are a wet noodle in the refrigerated section.
    Made from yams, I understand the net carbs are even lower but my
    packages have no fiber count so I'm not sure. To me, 1 package (2.5
    servings) is about right for a good bowl of noodle soup. :-) That is
    only 5 grams of carbs. Most noodles would be 10 to 20 times that!!!

    Suitable for any asian recipes, and I'm tempted to try them with a white
    sauce!

    The "yam" from which they are made is not the same vegetable we call a
    yam in North America.

    Priscilla
    --
    "Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
    the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

  10. Chicken Feet????

    "Priscilla Ballou" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I finally remembered to look for them when I was at the oriental market
    on Friday... They were in the refrigerated section.

    Just made some chicken foot stock with onion, garlic, white pepper,
    lemon peel and fresh ginger.

    Strained it off, added straw mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts
    and....... Shirataki.

    Low carb and OH so good!!! It's going to be nice to be able to enjoy
    noodle soup again and still stay low carb! They are wonderful.

    Thanks to all that suggested them!

    Glad you enjoy them. Me too. :-) I'm partial to simmered pork stock
    with tofu, napa, mushrooms, and shirataki -- when it's cold out and the
    wind is rattling the windows. The steam clears out my sinuses. Ah!

    Priscilla
    --
    "Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
    the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    bonnie e said:

    Chicken Feet????

    Best stock there is......
    Does not even need to be skimmed as there is almost no fat that cooks
    out. And if done right (I use a pressure cooker for 45 minutes) the
    resulting stock will practically bounce once it's refrigerated.

    Loaded with nutrition! Collagen, glucosamine, calcium, phosphorous, etc.
    All the advantages of bone stock with the rich flavor of a good meat
    stock.

    I eat the chicken feet after straining off the stock in my room with a
    little salt. ;-) ;-d ;-D

    Love those chicken feet

    Seriously tho', they really do make the best soup stock there is!
    Very rich, nutritious and tasty. It's my chicken soup of choice for
    colds and cold weather.

    You can discard the feet when you are done if you want, or feed them to
    the dog as long as you have cooked them long enough for the bones to get
    soft. That's a major advantage of using a pressure cooker.

    Add celery, onion, garlic, bay and fresh ginger root to the initial
    stock for additional flavor.

    Cheers!

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  12. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    kilikini said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally remembered to look for them when I was at the oriental market
    on Friday... They were in the refrigerated section.

    Just made some chicken foot stock with onion, garlic, white pepper,
    lemon peel and fresh ginger.

    Strained it off, added straw mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts
    and....... Shirataki.

    Low carb and OH so good!!! It's going to be nice to be able to enjoy
    noodle soup again and still stay low carb! They are wonderful.

    Thanks to all that suggested them!
    --
    Om.

    Wait, how'd I miss this thread? I try to go low carb, too and I love Asian.
    Recipe (again) please?

    kili

    Sorry luv! Shirataki threads run on alt.support.diet.low-carb
    more than they do here. :-)

    Package label: 2 grams carbs per serving, 2.5 servings per package,
    serving size is 3 oz. They are a wet noodle in the refrigerated section.
    Made from yams, I understand the net carbs are even lower but my
    packages have no fiber count so I'm not sure. To me, 1 package (2.5
    servings) is about right for a good bowl of noodle soup. :-) That is
    only 5 grams of carbs. Most noodles would be 10 to 20 times that!!!

    Suitable for any asian recipes, and I'm tempted to try them with a white
    sauce!

    You might like this recipe I came up with:

    Jean B's Low-Carb Ants Climbing a Tree (made with shirataki;
    serves 2)

    16 oz shirataki
    3 Tbsps finely chopped scallion
    2 Tbsps minced garlic
    1 Tbsps minced ginger
    1 Tbsp hot bean sauce (I used Kimlan, which contains 1 g carb
    per Tbsp; next time I will use 1 1/2 Tbsps, because this was
    not really spicy; if you don't like spicy food, stick with 1
    Tbsp or try less)
    2 Tbsps water
    1 Tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
    1 Tbsp soy sauce (I guess this is fusion style, because I used
    Kikkoman)
    1/2 tsp salt (this was fairly salty; if you don't like salty
    food, use less)
    2 Tbsps oil
    1/3 lb ground pork (I may try chopped pork next; I think the
    texture might be nicer)
    about 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, optional (I swear the
    bright flavor of my favorite version contains this, which
    would be extremely odd)
    ground Sichuan pepper (opt; which is lucky, because I gather
    you may not be able to find it now; use sansho as a substitute
    or omit this)

    Pour shirataki into a colander. Rinse and drain it, then cut
    it into manageable lengths. Let drain some more while you
    assemble the rest of the ingredients.
    Combine scallion, garlic, ginger, and hot bean sauce in a
    small dish. Set aside.
    Combine water, wine, soy sauce, and salt in another small
    dish. Set aside.
    Heat the 2 Tbsps oil in a medium-sized wok or pan until it
    is hot. Add the pork, and stir and chop up until the pork is
    broken into small pieces and looks cooked. Add scallions,
    garlic, ginger, and hot bean sauce. Continue cooking and
    stirring until very aromatic. Add water, wine, soy sauce, and
    salt. Stir. Add the shirataki. Return to a boil, lower
    heat, and cook til the shirataki is heated through, stirring
    occasionally. Stir in olive oil if you are using it. Check
    for salt. Divide between two bowls. Sprinkle a little
    Sichuan pepper over the top and serve.

    --
    Jean B.

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, "Jean B." <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    You might like this recipe I came up with:

    Jean B's Low-Carb Ants Climbing a Tree (made with shirataki;
    serves 2)

    16 oz shirataki
    3 Tbsps finely chopped scallion
    2 Tbsps minced garlic
    1 Tbsps minced ginger
    1 Tbsp hot bean sauce (I used Kimlan, which contains 1 g carb
    per Tbsp; next time I will use 1 1/2 Tbsps, because this was
    not really spicy; if you don't like spicy food, stick with 1
    Tbsp or try less)
    2 Tbsps water
    1 Tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
    1 Tbsp soy sauce (I guess this is fusion style, because I used
    Kikkoman)
    1/2 tsp salt (this was fairly salty; if you don't like salty
    food, use less)
    2 Tbsps oil
    1/3 lb ground pork (I may try chopped pork next; I think the
    texture might be nicer)
    about 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, optional (I swear the
    bright flavor of my favorite version contains this, which
    would be extremely odd)
    ground Sichuan pepper (opt; which is lucky, because I gather
    you may not be able to find it now; use sansho as a substitute
    or omit this)

    Pour shirataki into a colander. Rinse and drain it, then cut
    it into manageable lengths. Let drain some more while you
    assemble the rest of the ingredients.
    Combine scallion, garlic, ginger, and hot bean sauce in a
    small dish. Set aside.
    Combine water, wine, soy sauce, and salt in another small
    dish. Set aside.
    Heat the 2 Tbsps oil in a medium-sized wok or pan until it
    is hot. Add the pork, and stir and chop up until the pork is
    broken into small pieces and looks cooked. Add scallions,
    garlic, ginger, and hot bean sauce. Continue cooking and
    stirring until very aromatic. Add water, wine, soy sauce, and
    salt. Stir. Add the shirataki. Return to a boil, lower
    heat, and cook til the shirataki is heated through, stirring
    occasionally. Stir in olive oil if you are using it. Check
    for salt. Divide between two bowls. Sprinkle a little
    Sichuan pepper over the top and serve.

    --
    Jean B.

    Saved to the nutrition file, thanks! :-)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.