tsp' may have said:i noticed on my bike that about 2-4 teeth on each of the 3 front chain rings looks like they were
filed down or something..they werent uniform in size with each other... it looked more like a
manufacturing defect than something that got chipped or broken off.
3 or 4 trimmed on each of the larger chain rings is typical. 5 is not uncommon.
Quoted message said:i took it to a shop and they explained that they are there to facilitate shifts... i looked at a
few other same bikes and, sure enough, they had the same 'feature'. however, none of the other
bikes seemed to have this same design on the chain ring.
Features and designs vary. There is no "standard" design.
Quoted message said:so maybe it suggests that the drivetrain is poor so that it needs the help of these shortened
teeth? i dont think the more expensive bikes had the shortened teeth
Look more closely. They probably did.
Quoted message said:its a suntour xcc-300 or something crankset, btw
The number of clipped teeth and the severity of their reduction varies considerably from maker to
maker, and even between product lines within a given manufacturer. More trimmed teeth is not
necessarily a sign of low quality relative to one that has less. One of the least-trimmed sets I've
got is on a super-cheap beater with a one-piece crank.
--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.