I'm still a bit new to cycling, still on my first road bike which has about 1500 miles on it. its a 60cm caad 9 & im 6'1. when im riding, i feel like the bars are a bit out of reach. the seat is already moving forward to its limit so im thinking that perhaps when i bought my 60, it was just a bit too large :o I'm not ready to go and buy another bike as I'd like to ride a little more first.
The stock seat post is offset to the rear so I've considered switching it out for a zero offset as opposed to buying a new bike. I know this changes riding position but what do you think? My normal rides are around 35-40 miles. What other options do i have? thanks
If the bike is your correct size, a shorter stem will help you reach the handlebar. But, you should have the saddle in the proper fore/aft position before you determine stem length. Have you been fitted for the bike or checked any of the various online fit guides?
60 cm is a bit extreme you should be ok with a 58 cm frame (or L size for sloppy frames) i would even say a 56 cm too, check it out in your bike shop. Like the previous poster said, its the stem which you should be concern about. There are all kinds of measures and angles to accomodate your reach to the handlebar, keep in mind that 2 centimeters shorter or longer make a big difference
Thanks for all the input, ive got my seat positioned where it needs to be, but the stem is still too long. i think a 58 would prob be better but having a 60 isn't ridiculous or anything. the stem i have at the moment is a 120mm, ive decided to move down to a 100. Im in Spain at the moment (not from here) so I feel a bit like a fish out of water. ive been to 2 bike shops in the area and when i ask them about road bikes they look at me like im crazy. apparently, no one here where im at rides a road bike. funny thing is, there really isn't anywhere that requires a mtb. no mountains, no trails. more of a fad if you ask me.
looking around online I got a pretty good deal on a FSA-99. I should have it in a week, ill post a follow-up when its on the bike. thanks again for all the help.
I'm still a bit new to cycling, still on my first road bike which has about 1500 miles on it. its a 60cm caad 9 & im 6'1. when im riding, i feel like the bars are a bit out of reach. the seat is already moving forward to its limit so im thinking that perhaps when i bought my 60, it was just a bit too large :o I'm not ready to go and buy another bike as I'd like to ride a little more first.
The stock seat post is offset to the rear so I've considered switching it out for a zero offset as opposed to buying a new bike. I know this changes riding position but what do you think? My normal rides are around 35-40 miles. What other options do i have? thanks
Having your seat at its forward limit is NOT "where it needs to be"...take my advice for what it's worth - and it's free...