should I race this Sat...

bauerb

Feb 27, 2007
I've prepping for the first race of the season which is Sat. However, I picked up a stomach virus last weekend and have been suffering with nauseau all week, and cramping in my stomach that causes shooting pains. its getting better and today is Thurs. this was scheduled to be an easy week for me anyway. I figure I'll do a tough workout tomorrow AM than I had planned, and see how I feel. I a bit worried that the virus has made me a bit weak, and so I might have a demoralizing race on Sat. However, another part of me says I am just looking for excuses, and should stop being a **ssy and race. not sure what to do. I know its only March, but I was pretty pumped for the first race...

bauerb said:
I've prepping for the first race of the season which is Sat. However, I picked up a stomach virus last weekend and have been suffering with nauseau all week, and cramping in my stomach that causes shooting pains. its getting better and today is Thurs. this was scheduled to be an easy week for me anyway. I figure I'll do a tough workout tomorrow AM than I had planned, and see how I feel. I a bit worried that the virus has made me a bit weak, and so I might have a demoralizing race on Sat. However, another part of me says I am just looking for excuses, and should stop being a **ssy and race. not sure what to do. I know its only March, but I was pretty pumped for the first race...
I would lean towards Man up and race if you think you have recovered enough. If not you could send yourself backwards.

bauerb said:

The flip side to this is you haven't recovered properly and race hard with the virus still in your system you could find yourself in a far worse place than you are in now. The body's immune systems will be down if you race hard which can just open you up to all sorts of nasty stuff in the long run. Rest up, have a LIGHT ride (very very low level cardio can help immune system function) and live to race another day when you are 100%. My 2 cents worth...

Tapeworm said:
The flip side to this is you haven't recovered properly and race hard with the virus still in your system you could find yourself in a far worse place than you are in now. The body's immune systems will be down if you race hard which can just open you up to all sorts of nasty stuff in the long run. Rest up, have a LIGHT ride (very very low level cardio can help immune system function) and live to race another day when you are 100%. My 2 cents worth...
===========================================================
I agree - rest up and get over it properly instead of trying to be the he-man which could set your health back weeks.
Recover properly then race in the coming months at 100% well:)

well I raced and felt very good. I may have been short on a little bit of stamina, but for the first race of the season, it was fine. although my toes did get a little cold