Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Should I remove my presta valve covers?

Started by Cycler6n · · Last activity · 30 posts · 2,652 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
27 October 2007
Last activity
7 November 2007
Original author
Cycler6n
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,652
Views / 30 days
25

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Should I remove them. I talked to someone who removes the covers because its less spinning weight. is that true?

  2. I removed mine, and now I go 1 km/hr faster.

  3. whoop, whoop, whoop - sarcasm alert!!!

  4. Cycler6n said:

    Should I remove them. I talked to someone who removes the covers because its less spinning weight. is that true?


    No... it makes no diffrence in regards to spinning. But does help protect the valve stem and assists in keeping air from leaking through.

  5. Yojimbo_ said:

    I removed mine, and now I go 1 km/hr faster.

    Take your tubes out and youll be quicker.

  6. coneofsilence said:

    Take your tubes out and youll be quicker.

    no, no, no - fill them with helium so that you are lighter!

  7. Cycler6n said:

    Should I remove them. I talked to someone who removes the covers because its less spinning weight. is that true?

    Remove your helmet and shave your head, even faster.... :eek:

  8. slyjackson said:

    No... it makes no diffrence in regards to spinning. But does help protect the valve stem and assists in keeping air from leaking through.

    Or not. The caps do make nice protective covers, though, if your nipples start chafing really bad from your bibs.

  9. alienator said:

    Or not. The caps do make nice protective covers, though, if your nipples start chafing really bad from your bibs.

    Good Idea. I actually use a tube repair kit, glue some patches on and it stops the chafing.

  10. coneofsilence said:

    Good Idea. I actually use a tube repair kit, glue some patches on and it stops the chafing.


    I filled my pecs with Slime.

  11. coneofsilence said:

    Take your tubes out and youll be quicker.


    He could remove his spokes to save weight , that should add 2-3 mph on the flats and make it easier to ride uphill...😄

  12. slyjackson said:

    He could remove his spokes to save weight , that should add 2-3 mph on the flats and make it easier to ride uphill...😄


    Drill out your water bottle.

  13. Yojimbo_ said:

    I removed mine, and now I go 1 km/hr faster.


    Wow! Your tube must have came with a whopping big and heavy cap.

  14. coneofsilence said:

    Good Idea. I actually use a tube repair kit, glue some patches on and it stops the chafing.


    I prefer self-adhesive patches. More convenient.

  15. But seriously........

    I've had the valve cap become stuck to the valve body, and when I removed the cap the valve came too and the tyre flatted. This started happening another time - I knew what was happening but couldn't get the cap off without taking the valve with it.

    So, have caps on very loosley, or leave them off.

  16. rdk said:

    But seriously........

    I've had the valve cap become stuck to the valve body, and when I removed the cap the valve came too and the tyre flatted. This started happening another time - I knew what was happening but couldn't get the cap off without taking the valve with it.


    Stop sticking your old chewing gums under the cap. :p

  17. Eden said:

    no, no, no - fill them with helium so that you are lighter!

    How about hydrogen, then you can really experience a BLOW out, or up.

  18. Quoted post said:


    Almost nobody who rides a road bike or other bike with presta valves keeps the valve caps. They serve no purpose at all. But it's not for weight, really, since they weigh next to nothing anyway. They are just something you don't need, and which get lost the first time you fix a flat.

    Different on Schraeder valves (lower pressure tires such as on mountain, hybrid, utility bikes). These valves work differently, and it can be helpful to keep dirt out of the top of the valve.

  19. rdk said:

    But seriously........

    I've had the valve cap become stuck to the valve body, and when I removed the cap the valve came too and the tyre flatted. This started happening another time - I knew what was happening but couldn't get the cap off without taking the valve with it.

    So, have caps on very loosley, or leave them off.

    \

    Sounds like to me it is time to buy a different brand of inner tube.

  20. Luckily your buddy didn't say anything about the seat...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.