General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Sick of cooking

Started by Bell Jar · · Last activity · 51 posts · 1,148 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 May 2005
Last activity
28 May 2005
Original author
Bell Jar
Posts
51
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,148
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 51
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm pretty
    tired of it.
    For the last couple of wks we have gone out for dinner but we can't keep
    that up .. it's not in the budget. 🙁
    How do I get myself re-motivated?
    btw, I have 2 little ones and a DH to cook for, if that matters at all. DH
    does cook from time to time, but he works a lot of hours so it's really up
    to me.

  2. "Bell Jar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm pretty tired
    of it.
    For the last couple of wks we have gone out for dinner but we can't keep that
    up .. it's not in the budget. 🙁
    How do I get myself re-motivated?
    btw, I have 2 little ones and a DH to cook for, if that matters at all. DH
    does cook from time to time, but he works a lot of hours so it's really up to
    me.

    Happen to the best of us - change the rut you're in.

    Start experimenting and cooking dishes you never have before - if that doesn't
    work get a 2nd job and hire a cook. <g>

    Dimitri

  3. On Thu, 26 May 2005 22:18:26 GMT, "Bell Jar" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm pretty
    tired of it.

    Keep things really simple, use the microwave to thaw frozen
    vegetables, make big batches of stuff and freeze portions for later
    use.

    I've found that when I can get dinner together in 10 min by reheating
    leftovers and plannedovers, it's less onerous to deal with day-to-day
    cooking.

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

  4. On Fri, 27 May 2005 00:08:39 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Bell Jar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm pretty tired
    of it.
    For the last couple of wks we have gone out for dinner but we can't keep that
    up .. it's not in the budget. 🙁
    How do I get myself re-motivated?
    btw, I have 2 little ones and a DH to cook for, if that matters at all. DH
    does cook from time to time, but he works a lot of hours so it's really up to
    me.

    Happen to the best of us - change the rut you're in.

    Start experimenting and cooking dishes you never have before - if that doesn't
    work get a 2nd job and hire a cook. <g>

    Or re-do the kitchen! (the cook's equivalent of a new hat; it'll lift
    your spirits and inspire). Buy a new appliance. If that's out of the
    budget, try something less ambitious like painting the walls and
    hanging new prints. Do something to change the environment; the old
    one is bringing her down.

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

  5. Dimitri said:

    "Bell Jar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm pretty tired
    of it.
    For the last couple of wks we have gone out for dinner but we can't keep that
    up .. it's not in the budget. 🙁
    How do I get myself re-motivated?
    btw, I have 2 little ones and a DH to cook for, if that matters at all. DH
    does cook from time to time, but he works a lot of hours so it's really up to
    me.

    Happen to the best of us - change the rut you're in.

    Start experimenting and cooking dishes you never have before - if that doesn't
    work get a 2nd job and hire a cook. <g>

    You beat me to it, Dimitri. 🙂

    BellJar, are there any types of dishes you've never made that you'd like to
    try? I'll bet we could dig up some recipes for you.

    Carol

    --
    CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
    United States:
    http://www.stopthehunger.com/
    International:
    http://www.thehungersite.com/

  6. Dimitri wrote on 26 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:


    "Bell Jar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm
    pretty tired of it.
    For the last couple of wks we have gone out for dinner but we
    can't keep that up .. it's not in the budget. 🙁
    How do I get myself re-motivated?
    btw, I have 2 little ones and a DH to cook for, if that matters
    at all. DH does cook from time to time, but he works a lot of
    hours so it's really up to me.

    Happen to the best of us - change the rut you're in.

    Start experimenting and cooking dishes you never have before - if
    that doesn't work get a 2nd job and hire a cook. <g>

    Dimitri

    Pick a style of cooking...say chinese or italian or mexican or thai.
    Cook that style for a while. New tastes, new ingredients and new
    procedures should allow you to shake off the dulldrums.

    --
    No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
    Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
    1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
    Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
    Continuing to be Manitoban

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Curly Sue) said:

    Or re-do the kitchen! (the cook's equivalent of a new hat; it'll lift
    your spirits and inspire). Buy a new appliance. If that's out of the
    budget, try something less ambitious like painting the walls and
    hanging new prints. Do something to change the environment; the old
    one is bringing her down.

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    She's already re-done the bathroom, Sue. <grin>
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
    "Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, "Bell Jar"

    Quoted message said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm
    pretty tired of it. For the last couple of wks we have gone out for
    dinner but we can't keep that up .. it's not in the budget. 🙁 How do
    I get myself re-motivated? btw, I have 2 little ones and a DH to cook
    for, if that matters at all. DH does cook from time to time, but he
    works a lot of hours so it's really up to me.

    Wake up, brush your teeth, comb your hair, have a cup of coffee and
    start on supper!! Do as much in advance as you can and stick it in the
    fridge. I know you're not looking forward to summer heat. Do the pot
    roast at 5:30 a.m. and re-heat it for supper. Then make hash from the
    leftover spuds, carrots, and meat a couple nights later. Tear up the
    lettuces and throw them in a plastic bag. Salad? Reach into the bag
    and put it on the plates. Don't marinate chicken in an acidic marinade
    for too long -- it can get mushy.

    Teach the twerp the fine art of a PB&J supper.

    Put the hotdish together in the a.m. or the night before and have it
    ready to stick into the oven 45 minutes before supper. I know what
    you're like when you've a mind to. :-)
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
    "Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

  9. On Thu, 26 May 2005 22:18:26 GMT, "Bell Jar" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm pretty
    tired of it.
    For the last couple of wks we have gone out for dinner but we can't keep
    that up .. it's not in the budget. 🙁
    How do I get myself re-motivated?
    btw, I have 2 little ones and a DH to cook for, if that matters at all. DH
    does cook from time to time, but he works a lot of hours so it's really up
    to me.

    is it the cooking or the menu planning that's getting you down? I am
    ok once I know what we're having, but I hate hate HATE that part. I
    have even subscribed to services where yoiu get a weekly menu sent to
    you to cook (this was ok but lots of "add a can of soup to some other
    processed thing" recipes, and also lots of things I can't get here).
    Anyway I wondered if it was the cookingor the planning that you're
    hating.

    Hope

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bell Jar said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm pretty
    tired of it.

    Me too. And I'm the DH (I thought it meant "[censored]" the first
    time I saw it, but as long as it means "dear husband" I guess I
    don't mind).

    What I like is when my wife and I collaborate on a meal. This
    generally happens on weekends, often results in an elaborate
    multi-course meal, and we make enough so that the leftovers last
    through most of the week.

    So, lately, we end up cooking just 2 or 3 times a week when we don't
    want to eat leftovers, or when we run out (the leftovers are used
    for our lunches at work too). We also eat out once a week, maybe
    twice.

    I still have to make breakfast every day though. I've reduced that
    to a low-carb high-protein shake which we both like very much and
    satiates us until lunch. If anyone's interested, the recipe is as
    follows, with plenty of footnotes:

    Moderately low-carb chocolate soy breakfast

    For each serving:
    8 - 10 oz soy milk [1]
    1 teaspoon soy lecithin granules [2]
    1 round to heaping tablespoon un-sweetened cocoa powder [3]
    1 tablespoon flax oil [4]
    1 scoop whey protein powder [5]
    1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon stevia powder, add to taste [6]

    Optional additions (pick one or more, or all at once):
    1 level tablespoon carob powder (imparts a good flavor)
    1/4 cup fresh blueberries [7] or 3-4 strawberries (reduce soy milk
    accordingly)
    3-4 drops peppermint oil (for essence; goes well with chocolate)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon of "greens" powder (healthy and doesn't seem to alter the
    flavor)

    Notes:
    All ingredients can be found at Whole Foods Market, although we buy
    soy milk at Trader Joe's or Costco.

    [1] I try to use soy milk with the least amount of sugars. Avoid the
    "low fat" or "fat free" varieties; there's nothing wrong with the fat,
    and it tastes better too. The "Silk" brand soy milk at Costco is
    okay, and tasty, and we use it because it's cheap (less than
    $1/carton). However, it has 14 g sugars per serving. WestSoy has one
    with only 4 g sugars, and Trader Joe's Organic Unsweetened Soy Milk
    has only 4 g sugars also, and it's only $1.19/qt. We've been using
    Trader Joe's lately.

    [2] Lecithin is an emulsifier that allows oil and water to mix without
    separating. It imparts no flavor at all. It's in a refrigerator
    section of Whole Foods, and you should keep it refrigerated.

    [3] The more chocolatey, the better, in my opinion. You can always
    offset the bitterness of more cocoa by using more stevia. If you're a
    chocolate connoisseur, you might be particular about the unsweetened
    cocoa powder you use. I can't tell the difference, but I have been
    told that Sharffen Berger cocoa has a "one note" flavor while others
    are more complex. We buy based on price, and around here the
    Ghiradelli unsweetened cocoa powder is the best deal. Just make sure
    it's un-sweetened.

    [4] Flax oil: try to buy it refrigerated (not room temperature), and
    keep it refrigerated. It can go rancid otherwise. It should never
    be cooked; cooking destroys its nutritional value. Pure filtered
    flax oil has a tasty nut-like flavor and can be consumed by itself,
    or on salads, or instead of olive oil for dipping bread. The "high
    lignan" type of flax oil is healthier but has a vile bitter flavor.
    High lignan flax oil is fine for this recipe and better for you --
    you won't notice the flavor because the cocoa powder is bitter too.

    [5] There isn't enough protein in soy milk to last until lunch.
    Adding protein powder also thickens the final product slightly.
    Most diet books recommend whey protein, in particular brands called
    "Designer Whey" and Solgar's "Whey To Go." Whatever you buy must
    have NO ADDED SUGAR. Many work-out supplements contain sugar, so
    avoid those. We generally use Designer Whey, either plain, vanilla,
    or strawberry flavor (strawberry flavor complements chocolate
    nicely, although it has artifical sweeteners). The best price
    I've found is from http://www.vitaminshoppe.com and they also have
    brick-and-mortar stores. They sell it in 2 lb or 5 lb containers.
    You might also have some luck finding unsweetened whey protein at
    Costco, but all I've ever seen there has added sugar.

    [6] The 1/8 teaspoon in this recipe assumes you're using PURE
    stevia extract powder, where 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon has the equivalent
    sweetness of 1 cup sugar. I don't actually measure it; I just shake
    the jar a couple times over the blender, dip my finger in to taste
    it, and repeat as necessary.

    In my opinion stevia is the best sweetener for liquids, bar none.
    It seems to aid digestion in some people, and has never revealed any
    adverse side effects, unlike artificial sweeteners like Sweet'nLow
    (saccharin, a carcinogen), NutraSweet (aspartame, proven to leave
    formaldehyde deposits in the brain; see the Barcelona Study
    described at http://www.presidiotex.com/barcelona/ ), or Splenda
    (sucralose, probably the "safest" of the artificial sweeteners,
    having adverse affects in only a small minority). Sometimes I
    make some cold chocolate soymilk on a hot day with just soy milk,
    cocoa powder, and stevia. It's good for sweetening cooking sauces
    too. However, Stevia is worthless for making cookies, cake, and ice
    cream because those require the crystalline structure of sugar, and
    the tiny amount of stevia you need for sweetening doesn't provide
    sufficient crystal structure. If you want sugar-free cookies or ice
    cream, I say use Splenda.

    [7] I have observed that blueberries have a nice reaction with soy
    milk causing the final result to be quite thick, thicker than you'd
    expect, and thicker than you get from using other berries.

    -A

  11. I agree with Hope, we need to know if it's the actual cooking that
    you're tired of, or planning of the meals. Then we can better help you.

  12. Bell Jar said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm pretty
    tired of it.
    For the last couple of wks we have gone out for dinner but we can't keep
    that up .. it's not in the budget. 🙁
    How do I get myself re-motivated?
    btw, I have 2 little ones and a DH to cook for, if that matters at all. DH
    does cook from time to time, but he works a lot of hours so it's really up
    to me.

    I know the feeling.

    The secret for me is to cook things that will make more than
    one different meal. Not having to start every meal from
    scratch is a big motivational boost for me.

    Example: I make a big batch of meatballs, freeze in bags of
    12-20. I can use a package to make spaghetti sauce, leftovers
    of which will go over pasta and later become the sauce for lasagna
    or be served as meatball grinders (subs, Italian sandwiches).

    Another package will make a sort of meatball stroganoff or
    Swedish meatballs over egg noodles.

    I poached 6 giant chicken breast halves a couple of days ago.
    I made chicken salad with pineapple, grapes, celery, green onion,
    and curried mayo, to be topped with toasted slivered almonds when
    I serve it.

    The other half was added to a batch of rice which cooked with the
    poaching broth, onion, garlic, finely chopped green pepper, celery,
    chopped tomatoes, cumin and curry powder.

    I could also have used the chicken in fajitas or a chinese-style stirfry
    or to make chicken pie.

    If you cook ground beef ahead and freeze it in meal-sized portions,
    you can make tacos or burritos or a tamale casserole.

    Leftover grilled flank steak makes wonderful sandwiches or tops
    a green salad. (We have flank often but usually there's none left over.)

    Good luck!

    gloria p

  13. Dimitri said:

    "Bell Jar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm pretty


    tired

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of it.
    For the last couple of wks we have gone out for dinner but we can't keep


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    up .. it's not in the budget. 🙁
    How do I get myself re-motivated?
    btw, I have 2 little ones and a DH to cook for, if that matters at all.


    DH

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    does cook from time to time, but he works a lot of hours so it's really


    up to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    me.

    Happen to the best of us - change the rut you're in.

    Start experimenting and cooking dishes you never have before - if that


    doesn't

    Quoted message said:

    work get a 2nd job and hire a cook. <g>

    Hey Dimitri..why do I think this post is a troll..."Bell Jar" and all that
    jazz..."tired of life", etc....

    --
    Best
    "Ann Sexton"

  14. "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Dimitri said:

    "Bell Jar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm pretty


    tired

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of it.
    For the last couple of wks we have gone out for dinner but we can't
    keep


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    up .. it's not in the budget. 🙁
    How do I get myself re-motivated?
    btw, I have 2 little ones and a DH to cook for, if that matters at all.


    DH

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    does cook from time to time, but he works a lot of hours so it's really


    up to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    me.

    Happen to the best of us - change the rut you're in.

    Start experimenting and cooking dishes you never have before - if that


    doesn't

    Quoted message said:

    work get a 2nd job and hire a cook. <g>

    Hey Dimitri..why do I think this post is a troll..."Bell Jar" and all that
    jazz..."tired of life", etc....

    --
    Best
    "Ann Sexton"

    WTF? I have been posting here for SEVERAL years. get over yourself.

  15. "Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:bytle.2012

    Quoted message said:

    Happen to the best of us - change the rut you're in.

    Start experimenting and cooking dishes you never have before - if that
    doesn't work get a 2nd job and hire a cook. <g>

    Dimitri

    hehe ... I like that cook idea ... but only if they clean too 🙂
    I think your right, I am in a rut.

  16. "Curly Sue" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Or re-do the kitchen! (the cook's equivalent of a new hat; it'll lift
    your spirits and inspire).

    hehe ... I'll tell my dh ...

    Quoted message said:

    Buy a new appliance.

    mmmm ... now that sounds like a good idea 🙂
    I'll have to check out the budget. I did get a new KA for christmas ...
    maybe something for that.

    If that's out of the

    Quoted message said:

    budget, try something less ambitious like painting the walls and
    hanging new prints. Do something to change the environment; the old
    one is bringing her down.

    If you could see my kitchen! ... Lets just say that the ol' broad the lived
    here before was big on herbs ... the smoking kind.
    You would have to be stoned to pick out this wall paper! And after putting
    it up you should be.

    Quoted message said:

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

  17. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    She's already re-done the bathroom, Sue. <grin>
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.

    hehe 😄
    And it's the best lookin' room in the house 🙂

    The kitchen is a pretty big job to do on my own ... I think I'm a little
    afraid 🙁

  18. "Damsel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    BellJar, are there any types of dishes you've never made that you'd like
    to
    try? I'll bet we could dig up some recipes for you.

    Carol

    Lately I have wanted to try rice rolls, I hesitate to call it sushi because
    I'm not interested in making them w/ raw fish. I have seen recipes to use
    cooked chicken, beef or even veggies.
    I just found out about an Asian market that is not to far from me. It
    sounds like I should give it a try.

  19. "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pick a style of cooking...say chinese or italian or mexican or thai.
    Cook that style for a while. New tastes, new ingredients and new
    procedures should allow you to shake off the dulldrums.

    Thanks 🙂 This seems to be worth a shot.

  20. "Curly Sue" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 22:18:26 GMT, "Bell Jar" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I am sick of cooking. I used to love cooking but right now, I'm pretty
    tired of it.

    Keep things really simple, use the microwave to thaw frozen
    vegetables, make big batches of stuff and freeze portions for later
    use.

    I've found that when I can get dinner together in 10 min by reheating
    leftovers and plannedovers, it's less onerous to deal with day-to-day
    cooking.

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    Thanks Sue, This is what I have been trying to do lately. It helps 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.