Sigma Computer Problem

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I have a sigma computer that i've had for about 6 months. I forget which model it is, but it has now stopped working. THe only thing that is working is the cadence monitor. It just flashes zero's for everthing. I've tried unhooking the computer like it says to in the manual but that still doesn't work. Any suggestiosn?

jwroubaix said:
I have a sigma computer that i've had for about 6 months. I forget which model it is, but it has now stopped working. THe only thing that is working is the cadence monitor. It just flashes zero's for everthing. I've tried unhooking the computer like it says to in the manual but that still doesn't work. Any suggestiosn?
Are you using a LED light?
LED lights can fry some wireless computers, and Sigma seem to be particularly susceptible.

jwroubaix said:
do the batteries really last a few months?
A battery should last at least a year in your bike's computer ... BUT, I've had at least three batteries die in less time ...

If your battery has only been in the computer head for a few months, then I suppose that the shorter life could possibly have been due to poor storage at the stores from whom I bought them.

Also, there are SOME computer heads which have a back light. No doubt, using the back light has a negative effect on battery life; but, I don't know by how much.

Also, once the battery is installed & the computer is running in "sleep mode" it is draining even if YOU aren't riding.

With a wireless FlightDeck that I have, almost all the functions ceased & I couldn't resolve it for weeks; but, THAT specific computer head worked in a wired harness. I changed the transmitter's battery with no positive effect. It finally occurred to me to try a different FlightDeck computer head in that particular harness -- it worked. So, I finally tried putting a new battery in the oddly functioning computer head & everything fuctioned properly, again!

A dying battery may not be your problem, but you may as well buy a new one & see if that "fixes" it (because your current battery will probably die in the middle of this Summer & that could be really annoying -- BETTER TO START THE SEASON WITH A 'NEW' BATTERY), or not -- IF NOT, then take the "new" battery out & check your warranty for a replacement.

What kind of battery does it take?

alfeng said:
A battery should last at least a year in your bike's computer ... BUT, I've had at least three batteries die in less time ...

If your battery has only been in the computer head for a few months, then I suppose that the shorter life could possibly have been due to poor storage at the stores from whom I bought them.

Also, there are SOME computer heads which have a back light. No doubt, using the back light has a negative effect on battery life; but, I don't know by how much.

Also, once the battery is installed & the computer is running in "sleep mode" it is draining even if YOU aren't riding.

With a wireless FlightDeck that I have, almost all the functions ceased & I couldn't resolve it for weeks; but, THAT specific computer head worked in a wired harness. I changed the transmitter's battery with no positive effect. It finally occurred to me to try a different FlightDeck computer head in that particular harness -- it worked. So, I finally tried putting a new battery in the oddly functioning computer head & everything fuctioned properly, again!

A dying battery may not be your problem, but you may as well buy a new one & see if that "fixes" it (because your current battery will probably die in the middle of this Summer & that could be really annoying -- BETTER TO START THE SEASON WITH A 'NEW' BATTERY), or not -- IF NOT, then take the "new" battery out & check your warranty for a replacement.

jwroubaix said:
Is it a wireless model? I had a wireless one, and the battery life was very short. Not so much in the monitor, but the battery in the sensor as well as in the base. Another problem i had with the sigma wireless was it stopped working if temps were lower than 30 deg F (-1C). It would last about a mile and then die. I had excellent luck though when I switched to their wired model. I use a Polar now, am generally ok with it, but sometimes wish i just stayed with the Sigma.

jwroubaix said:
What kind of battery does it take?
Both SHIMANO FLIGHTDECK & CAMPAGNOLO ERGOBRAIN computer heads use a single CR2032 battery ... I don't know which battery the SIGMA uses (probably the same).

I love my all of my comp's on my bikes, but I do keep a log of the mileage on them just in case the battery dies unexpectedly.