Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Silca pump gauge failed after reassembly?

Started by Michael · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,509 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 March 2003
Last activity
16 April 2003
Original author
Michael
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,509
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. When I needed to replace the rubber gasket in the pump head of my Silca Super Pista, I took the
    opportunity to take the pump completely apart and re-lube everything. But after I put it all back
    together, the gauge stopped working.

    On the push stroke the needle goes to approximately the right pressure reading, but immediately
    falls back to 0. The pump works fine - I can verify the pressure with a separate guauge I've got -
    but previously the needle would hold at the current pressure as I pumped. It's pretty hard to read
    the value now in the split second the needle peaks at a number, especially considering how close
    together the gauge ticks are.

    I can't believe I broke the gauge just by taking it off and putting it back on. There's no magic to
    how it attaches - it's compressed between the foot pedal and the pump body via 2 bolts, and the
    intake hole lines up with a hole at the bottom center of the pump body.

    Any ideas?

  2. On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:12:29 -0800, Michael wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    On the push stroke the needle goes to approximately the right pressure reading, but immediately
    falls back to 0. The pump works fine - I can verify the pressure with a separate guauge I've got -
    but previously the needle would hold at the current pressure as I pumped. It's pretty hard to read
    the value now in the split second the needle peaks at a number, especially considering how close
    together the gauge ticks are.

    This sounds to me like a problem with a one way valve someplace. Since the pump works, I'd have to
    guess that the guage is just on the "wrong side" of the valve, or if it's set up to "pass through",
    then that one of two valves is missing. Greg

  3. Michael said:

    When I needed to replace the rubber gasket in the pump head of my Silca Super Pista, I took the
    opportunity to take the pump completely apart and re-lube everything. But after I put it all back
    together, the gauge stopped working.

    On the push stroke the needle goes to approximately the right pressure reading, but immediately
    falls back to 0. The pump works fine - I can verify the pressure with a separate guauge I've got -
    but previously the needle would hold at the current pressure as I pumped. It's pretty hard to read
    the value now in the split second the needle peaks at a number, especially considering how close
    together the gauge ticks are.

    I can't believe I broke the gauge just by taking it off and putting it back on. There's no magic
    to how it attaches - it's compressed between the foot pedal and the pump body via 2 bolts, and the
    intake hole lines up with a hole at the bottom center of the pump body.

    Any ideas?


    Yep. You didn't get the check valve back in there properly. The gauge is between the check valve and
    the tire's valve. If the tube uses a presta valve, that alos acts a check valve that keeps the air
    in the tire from coming out when you release the pressure in the pump barrel. Normally the check
    valve at the bottom of the pump barrel keeps the air in the gauge and hose from flowing back into
    the pump so that the gauge holds its reading between pump strokes.

    Think about the burst of air you hear when you remove the chuck from the stem. That is the air
    between the pump's check valve and the tire's "check valve" rushing out. That is also the air whose
    pressure is read by the pump's gauge. When the check valve in the pump isn't working, that air flows
    back into the pump each time you complete a pump stroke. You can still pump a presta valved tire up,
    but the gauge will behave as you have described.

    Mark <www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]

    (Michael) said:

    When I needed to replace the rubber gasket in the pump head of my Silca Super Pista, I took the
    opportunity to take the pump completely apart and re-lube everything. But after I put it all back
    together, the gauge stopped working.

    On the push stroke the needle goes to approximately the right pressure reading, but immediately
    falls back to 0. The pump works fine - I can verify the pressure with a separate guauge I've got -
    but previously the needle would hold at the current pressure as I pumped. It's pretty hard to read
    the value now in the split second the needle peaks at a number, especially considering how close
    together the gauge ticks are.

    I can't believe I broke the gauge just by taking it off and putting it back on. There's no magic
    to how it attaches - it's compressed between the foot pedal and the pump body via 2 bolts, and the
    intake hole lines up with a hole at the bottom center of the pump body.

    No, you've just got a pressure leak somewhere. Check all the connections- the valve chuck, the
    connections to the hose, and the connection between the gauge and the pump body. You could submerge
    the bottom 1/3 of the pump and try pumping a tire- that would rule
    in/out most of the possibilities. If it passes this check, then recheck the chuck, hose connection,
    and leather piston.

  5. "Michael" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When I needed to replace the rubber gasket in the pump head of my Silca Super Pista, I took the
    opportunity to take the pump completely apart and re-lube everything. But after I put it all back
    together, the gauge stopped working.

    On the push stroke the needle goes to approximately the right pressure reading, but immediately
    falls back to 0. The pump works fine - I can verify the pressure with a separate guauge I've got -
    but previously the needle would hold at the current pressure as I pumped. It's pretty hard to read
    the value now in the split second the needle peaks at a number, especially considering how close
    together the gauge ticks are.

    I can't believe I broke the gauge just by taking it off and putting it back on. There's no magic
    to how it attaches - it's compressed between the foot pedal and the pump body via 2 bolts, and the
    intake hole lines up with a hole at the bottom center of the pump body.

    Any ideas?

    Since your gauge reads, albeit briefly, we'll assume you haven't broken the gauge itself.

    Silca's gauge reads the pressurized area between the check valve of your pump and the bicycle's
    valve. Air is escaping that area, most likely at the check valve but possibly at any one of the
    threads - check valve cover, gauge to body, etc. Ensure the check valve's rubber seal is smooth and
    doesn't have a bit of swarf stuck in it. Assembling with a drop of paint, pipe joint compound or
    teflon tape would seal the threads. (Since the threaded bits are bronze, you needn't lean on the
    wrench). It could also be something so simple as a worn washer at your tube's valve.

    If you cannot spot the leak right away, a bit of soapy water can be brushed over the joints looking
    for bubbles.

    --
    Andrew Muzi yellowjersey.orgyellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  6. Update: the problem turned out to be excess grease (from re-greasing the main pump tube) that had
    gotten squished down into the brass cylinder around the check valve. That gunk caused the check
    valve to get stuck in the open position. I just cleaned the whole check valve assembly and it's back
    to normal.

    "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Michael" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When I needed to replace the rubber gasket in the pump head of my Silca Super Pista, I took the
    opportunity to take the pump completely apart and re-lube everything. But after I put it all
    back together, the gauge stopped working.

    On the push stroke the needle goes to approximately the right pressure reading, but immediately
    falls back to 0. The pump works fine - I can verify the pressure with a separate guauge I've got
    - but previously the needle would hold at the current pressure as I pumped. It's pretty hard to
    read the value now in the split second the needle peaks at a number, especially considering how
    close together the gauge ticks are.

    I can't believe I broke the gauge just by taking it off and putting it back on. There's no magic
    to how it attaches - it's compressed between the foot pedal and the pump body via 2 bolts, and
    the intake hole lines up with a hole at the bottom center of the pump body.

    Any ideas?

    Since your gauge reads, albeit briefly, we'll assume you haven't broken the gauge itself.

    Silca's gauge reads the pressurized area between the check valve of your pump and the bicycle's
    valve. Air is escaping that area, most likely at the check valve but possibly at any one of the
    threads - check valve cover, gauge to body, etc. Ensure the check valve's rubber seal is smooth
    and doesn't have a bit of swarf stuck in it. Assembling with a drop of paint, pipe joint compound
    or teflon tape would seal the threads. (Since the threaded bits are bronze, you needn't lean on
    the wrench). It could also be something so simple as a worn washer at your tube's valve.

    If you cannot spot the leak right away, a bit of soapy water can be brushed over the joints
    looking for bubbles.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.