Road Cycling · Public discussion

single and loving it!

Started by maxo · · Last activity · 28 posts · 683 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
5 December 2004
Last activity
9 December 2004
Original author
maxo
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
683
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–28 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:49:02 GMT,
    <[email hidden]>, Mike Latondresse

    mikelat@no_spam_shaw.ca said:

    Thanks for the tip. I am looking for a 54/55 or in a squeeze a small
    56. Have tried some on Buy/Sell but most of the sellers are too
    stupid to even tell you the brand let alone measure them.

    That'll be easy to remember, that's the size I look for myself.
    Luckily the Knecht was that size, straight and un dented. Had a
    Campagnolo spindle too.

    I think this is the wrong season for the consignment bike sellers.

    The Buy/Sell is frustrating. I've sold stuff through there and the
    buyers are as just as flakey. About half of them ask for information
    that _is_ in the ad.
    --
    zk

  2. "Mike Latondresse" <mikelat@no_spam_shaw.ca> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks for the tip. I am looking for a 54/55 or in a squeeze a small
    56. Have tried some on Buy/Sell but most of the sellers are too
    stupid to even tell you the brand let alone measure them.

    At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried Ebay? I scored a NOS
    Fuji butted touring frame with h. dropouts for $70 last month.

  3. maxo said:
    Quoted message said:

    Penny's Noodles is the perfect place to refuel.

    Korean bbq pork noodle soup on a cold day with extra chili sauce. A cold
    Coke on ice on the side. The bubbles in the soda make the hot sauce do
    fun
    things in your mouth. Go alone and blow your nose with abandon.

    Alternately, one of the pho restaurants on Argyle are very good.

    Ever eat at Luc Thang on Damen & North? Best cheapie Thai in the Wicker
    Park/Bucktown hood, and loads of excellent formica surfaces.

    Pot/Pan has the best fishball noodle soup!

    Soup in wicker park on a winter day is heaven!

    Oh, go to Kasia's deli and have a cabbage roll and some hunter's stew
    for
    me would ya! It's on Chicago, take Damen from the blue line stop and
    hang
    a right on Chicago. It's right after the big supermarket, staffed by
    some sexy sturdy women. :drool: Get take out and eat it on the park
    benches in front of the dog run at Wicker Park--best picnic ever!

    Chicago rocks!

    No argument from me about that. I haven't been to half those places --
    yet.

    I've been reading the AMERICA'S FUTURE thread, which is way too depressing
    to take part in. I have to wonder where anyone would go to get something
    good to eat in Bill Baka's America. There'd be no pho, that's for sure.

    --
    Paul Turner

  4. Paul Turner said:

    I've been reading the AMERICA'S FUTURE thread, which is way too depressing
    to take part in. I have to wonder where anyone would go to get something
    good to eat in Bill Baka's America. There'd be no pho, that's for sure.

    My first pho I had with a buddy on Argyle street. the place was called
    "999" or some other strange numerical thing. Before the soup comes we get
    the little plate of beansprouts and lime wedges that are supposed to go in
    the soup. We're new to all of this and squeeze the lime on the sprouts,
    thinking it's some kind of salad and eat about half. The rest of the
    patrons start to laugh and an older gentleman explains what the condiments
    are for. We had a good laugh too with the rest of the patrons, nobody was
    laughing *at* us--it was a group laugh at how wonderfully different we all
    are. One of those tiny magical moments.

    Another time I was on Devon street at an Indian grocery standing in line
    to purchase okra. The elderly man behind me asked if I had a lovely woman
    to cook my okra for me. I said that I cooked my own okra and the man took
    my hand and offered his sympathies. 😄

    There's something about being in a city and seeing cultures intersect and
    the result often is not tension, but the shining of light on the humanity
    and common dignity of both.

  5. maxo said:
    Paul Turner said:

    I've been reading the AMERICA'S FUTURE thread, which is way too
    depressing
    to take part in. I have to wonder where anyone would go to get something
    good to eat in Bill Baka's America. There'd be no pho, that's for sure.

    I am not trying to be depressing but realistic. We may hit 10 billion but
    at that point where is the food and Oxygen going to come from? It does not
    take a rocket scientist to figure out that there are limits to everything,
    including how many people our planet can stand before things go very wrong,
    very fast.

    Quoted message said:


    My first pho I had with a buddy on Argyle street. the place was called
    "999" or some other strange numerical thing. Before the soup comes we get
    the little plate of beansprouts and lime wedges that are supposed to go
    in
    the soup. We're new to all of this and squeeze the lime on the sprouts,
    thinking it's some kind of salad and eat about half. The rest of the
    patrons start to laugh and an older gentleman explains what the
    condiments
    are for. We had a good laugh too with the rest of the patrons, nobody was
    laughing *at* us--it was a group laugh at how wonderfully different we
    all
    are. One of those tiny magical moments.

    Culterally speaking I have a Vietnamese friend who when we go to a Chinese
    restuarant gets us to order the hot stuff with peppers on the plate. We
    oblige, knowing that none of us sissy white guys is going to touch those
    peppers. I took a bite once and was still hurting after 3 glasses of water.
    Anyway, Nen would methodically pick the peppers from our plates and chew
    them with great relish while we white sissies just looked and wondered
    why he didn't go up in flames. Nen once even commented that they were not
    as hot as the ones he had gotten in Vietnam before he was forced out. He
    was an Air Force pilot working with the USA and was the first on the list
    to be killed after the Americans were gone. Damn nice guy with an asbestos
    lined mouth. I have never seen somebody eat something that hot, much less
    mention it was kind of tame for him.

    Quoted message said:


    Another time I was on Devon street at an Indian grocery standing in line
    to purchase okra. The elderly man behind me asked if I had a lovely woman
    to cook my okra for me. I said that I cooked my own okra and the man took
    my hand and offered his sympathies. 😄

    There's something about being in a city and seeing cultures intersect and
    the result often is not tension, but the shining of light on the humanity
    and common dignity of both.

    No argument from me since I have been to open street markets and as you
    could
    say "People are people, regardless of language.". I just wish we had a
    universal
    language so we could communicate better. The adults (over 40 in this case)
    get
    along quite well while the under 30 crowd seems to cause all the trouble. I
    routinely meet people of various ethnicity and have no problem with manners
    with the adults or small children. It is the 14 to 25 crowd that seems out
    for trouble.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  6. "Bill Baka" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I routinely meet people of various ethnicity and have no problem with
    manners
    with the adults or small children. It is the 14 to 25 crowd that seems out
    for trouble.

    Yes, adolescents are rebellious. As it has always been.

    http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2003/09/29/franklin_park_gorilla_escapes_attacks_2/

    They grow up eventually. Most of them, anyway.

    Pete

  7. Bill Baka said:
    maxo said:
    Paul Turner said:

    I've been reading the AMERICA'S FUTURE thread, which is way too
    depressing
    to take part in. I have to wonder where anyone would go to get something
    good to eat in Bill Baka's America. There'd be no pho, that's for sure.

    I am not trying to be depressing but realistic. We may hit 10 billion but
    at that point where is the food and Oxygen going to come from? It does not
    take a rocket scientist to figure out that there are limits to everything,
    including how many people our planet can stand before things go very wrong,
    very fast.

    Quoted message said:


    My first pho I had with a buddy on Argyle street. the place was called
    "999" or some other strange numerical thing. Before the soup comes we get
    the little plate of beansprouts and lime wedges that are supposed to go
    in
    the soup. We're new to all of this and squeeze the lime on the sprouts,
    thinking it's some kind of salad and eat about half. The rest of the
    patrons start to laugh and an older gentleman explains what the
    condiments
    are for. We had a good laugh too with the rest of the patrons, nobody was
    laughing *at* us--it was a group laugh at how wonderfully different we
    all
    are. One of those tiny magical moments.

    Culterally speaking I have a Vietnamese friend who when we go to a Chinese
    restuarant gets us to order the hot stuff with peppers on the plate. We
    oblige, knowing that none of us sissy white guys is going to touch those
    peppers. I took a bite once and was still hurting after 3 glasses of water.
    Anyway, Nen would methodically pick the peppers from our plates and chew
    them with great relish while we white sissies just looked and wondered
    why he didn't go up in flames. Nen once even commented that they were not
    as hot as the ones he had gotten in Vietnam before he was forced out. He
    was an Air Force pilot working with the USA and was the first on the list
    to be killed after the Americans were gone. Damn nice guy with an asbestos
    lined mouth. I have never seen somebody eat something that hot, much less
    mention it was kind of tame for him.

    Peppers are about tolerance. There's a lot of flavor in some of them and of
    course the endorphin rush, the price of admission is working your way up to 'em.
    Having not grown up with them like your friend you'll probably never adopt the
    same tastes, but at least you can manage and enjoy.

    Ron

  8. On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:02:14 GMT, RonSonic <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Bill Baka said:
    maxo said:

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:08:31 -0600, Paul Turner wrote:

    > I've been reading the AMERICA'S FUTURE thread, which is way too
    > depressing
    > to take part in. I have to wonder where anyone would go to get
    > something
    > good to eat in Bill Baka's America. There'd be no pho, that's for
    > sure.

    I am not trying to be depressing but realistic. We may hit 10 billion
    but
    at that point where is the food and Oxygen going to come from? It does
    not
    take a rocket scientist to figure out that there are limits to
    everything,
    including how many people our planet can stand before things go very
    wrong,
    very fast.

    Quoted message said:


    My first pho I had with a buddy on Argyle street. the place was called
    "999" or some other strange numerical thing. Before the soup comes we
    get
    the little plate of beansprouts and lime wedges that are supposed to go
    in
    the soup. We're new to all of this and squeeze the lime on the sprouts,
    thinking it's some kind of salad and eat about half. The rest of the
    patrons start to laugh and an older gentleman explains what the
    condiments
    are for. We had a good laugh too with the rest of the patrons, nobody
    was
    laughing *at* us--it was a group laugh at how wonderfully different we
    all
    are. One of those tiny magical moments.

    Culterally speaking I have a Vietnamese friend who when we go to a
    Chinese
    restuarant gets us to order the hot stuff with peppers on the plate. We
    oblige, knowing that none of us sissy white guys is going to touch those
    peppers. I took a bite once and was still hurting after 3 glasses of
    water.
    Anyway, Nen would methodically pick the peppers from our plates and chew
    them with great relish while we white sissies just looked and wondered
    why he didn't go up in flames. Nen once even commented that they were
    not
    as hot as the ones he had gotten in Vietnam before he was forced out. He
    was an Air Force pilot working with the USA and was the first on the
    list
    to be killed after the Americans were gone. Damn nice guy with an
    asbestos
    lined mouth. I have never seen somebody eat something that hot, much
    less
    mention it was kind of tame for him.

    Peppers are about tolerance. There's a lot of flavor in some of them and
    of
    course the endorphin rush, the price of admission is working your way up
    to 'em.
    Having not grown up with them like your friend you'll probably never
    adopt the
    same tastes, but at least you can manage and enjoy.

    Ron

    The Americas future is merely an exercise in math. It will happen, but
    I may be off on the numbers. Remember the book 1984? It's happening.
    As far as my friend eating those peppers I don't know how he did it,
    because when I had a pepper eating contest with my room mate before
    getting married we were both hurting until the peppers flushed us
    out rather completely. Maybe all of us white guys are food wimps???

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.