Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Single Speed Cruiser Bike?

Started by xmp333 · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,929 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 August 2003
Last activity
26 August 2003
Original author
xmp333
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,929
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I am considering purchasing another bike for errands and commuting (within a 7 mile radius usually,
    but the occasional longer ride is possible). My ride will be mostly on city sidewalks with the
    occasional street, gravel trail, and grass/rock surface. I'm about 215 pounds and 6'2 and usually
    bike with a backpack with supplies.

    For this I am considering a single speed cruiser bike with foot brakes, with 26 x 2.125 road slick
    tires, which I may equip with solid inner tubes later on.

    So far I am leaning towards a cruiser for the following reasons:

    1) Wide road slick tires make them more durable and better performing for city riding.

    2) Fenders mean my back won't get splashed with water when I go through puddles.

    3) Handlebar layout seems good for a basket should I use one, plus a more comfortable ride.

    4) Single speed and foot brakes means the bike is easy and forgiveable to maintain. (eg: wobbly
    wheel won't interfere with braking, tire and chain changes should be quicker, etc...)

    What I would like to know is this: What are the disadvantages? What kind of top speed can I expect
    with this bike -- how would that compare with a Mountain Bike/All Terrain Bike? Ditto for durability
    -- can I take those potholes without too much worry?

    I'm not looking to spend a lot -- from $100 - $250. Would you recommend any brands? Any brands to
    stay away from? Any other tips?

    Thanks.

  2. Quoted message said:

    For this I am considering a single speed cruiser bike with foot brakes, with 26 x 2.125 road slick
    tires, which I may equip with solid inner tubes later on.

    You'd better live where it's flat for that seven mile radius you plan on biking, and I'd skip the
    solid inner tubes.

  3. I would compare one against a good hybrid. You get so much more bike for around the same money -
    maybe a little more depending on what you may think you really need. I think you can get a Trek 7100
    for the price range you mentioned, I dunno check it out. This being August the 04's are out so you
    might save a little on an 03 if you find the right shop. What I would really recommend is a Trek
    7500fx, its a beast for the money. But your looking at 600 - 750 depending where you go.

    --
    twotreks, __o __o _`\(,_ _`\(,_ (_)/ (_) (_)/ (_)

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]... Hi,

    I am considering purchasing another bike for errands and commuting (within a 7 mile radius usually,
    but the occasional longer ride is possible). My ride will be mostly on city sidewalks with the
    occasional street, gravel trail, and grass/rock surface. I'm about 215 pounds and 6'2 and usually
    bike with a backpack with supplies.

    For this I am considering a single speed cruiser bike with foot brakes, with 26 x 2.125 road slick
    tires, which I may equip with solid inner tubes later on.

    So far I am leaning towards a cruiser for the following reasons:

    1) Wide road slick tires make them more durable and better performing for city riding.

    2) Fenders mean my back won't get splashed with water when I go through puddles.

    3) Handlebar layout seems good for a basket should I use one, plus a more comfortable ride.

    4) Single speed and foot brakes means the bike is easy and forgiveable to maintain. (eg: wobbly
    wheel won't interfere with braking, tire and chain changes should be quicker, etc...)

    What I would like to know is this: What are the disadvantages? What kind of top speed can I expect
    with this bike -- how would that compare with a Mountain Bike/All Terrain Bike? Ditto for durability
    -- can I take those potholes without too much worry?

    I'm not looking to spend a lot -- from $100 - $250. Would you recommend any brands? Any brands to
    stay away from? Any other tips?

    Thanks.

  4. Quoted message said:

    4) Single speed and foot brakes means the bike is easy and forgiveable to maintain. (eg: wobbly
    wheel won't interfere with braking, tire and chain changes should be quicker, etc...)

    What I would like to know is this: What are the disadvantages? What kind of top speed can I expect
    with this bike -- how would that compare with a Mountain Bike/All Terrain Bike? Ditto for
    durability -- can I take those potholes without too much worry?

    I'm not looking to spend a lot -- from $100 - $250. Would you recommend any brands? Any brands to
    stay away from? Any other tips?

    The biggest problem that I see is that a bike with only a rear brake has really bad braking.
    Dangerously bad. Get the dealer to put one on the front.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  5. Quoted message said:

    You'd better live where it's flat for that seven mile radius you plan


    on >biking, and I'd skip the solid inner tubes.

    I live in Houston, TX -- it doesn't get much flatter than that!

    As for the solid inner tubes, I have them on my MTB. My front wheel is warped, but I don't know if
    that's a result of the tube or my hard riding.

    Thanks.

  6. [email hidden] wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You'd better live where it's flat for that seven mile radius you plan


    on >biking, and I'd skip the solid inner tubes.

    I live in Houston, TX

    How many large cities named Houston are there?

    Quoted message said:

    -- it doesn't get much flatter than that!

    With the exception of Florida...

  7. Ted Bennett said:

    The biggest problem that I see is that a bike with only a rear brake has really bad braking.
    Dangerously bad. Get the dealer to put one on the front.

    Houston really doesn't have any detectable slopes. And a one-speed cruiser probably sports a 55- to
    65-inch gear, which isn't going to allow a blazing cruising speed (maybe 15mph with some ambitious
    pedaling). A coaster brake only is probably fine unless the OP intends to mix it up with high-speed
    auto traffic.

    Here in Seattle there are 20% grades, and there are fixed-gear riders with no brakes at all. Now
    that's a bit dangerous if you ask me.

    Chalo Colina

  8. [email hidden] wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    What I would like to know is this: What are the disadvantages? What kind of top speed can I expect
    with this bike -- how would that compare with a Mountain Bike/All Terrain Bike? Ditto for
    durability -- can I take those potholes without too much worry?

    I'm not looking to spend a lot -- from $100 - $250. Would you recommend any brands? Any brands to
    stay away from? Any other tips?

    i would consider a cheaper hybrid from a real bike store, over the cruiser. i woudlnt consider the
    handlebar a plus (for basket) because a rack on the back, with baskets, panniers, etc, will outdo a
    handlebar basket anyday of the week. if youre looking for wide friendly looking handlebars, a lot of
    the hybrids come with them, and an LBS can always slap whatever you want on there. (or you can. got
    a 5mm allen key?)

    you mentioned ease of changing tire with singlespeed cruiser? coaster brakes, which i assume it what
    youre looking at on a cruiser, are harder to change a flat on than a normal tire, becuase you have
    to unbolt the axle on both sides(no QR) *and* unscrew the bolt that holds the 'arm' (technical
    term?) to the chainstay. and put it all back together with the right chain tension. not a big deal,
    but much bigger than changing the flat on a QR-equipped freewheeling bike.

    If I were doing 7 mile shopping trips on flat ground, id find a used mtb and turn it single speed,
    buy a cheap hybrid with fat slicks, or something similar. or go fixed!

    anthony

  9. "jjp" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You'd better live where it's flat for that seven mile radius you plan


    on >biking, and I'd skip the solid inner tubes.

    I live in Houston, TX

    How many large cities named Houston are there?

    I don't know about large (or why you use that qualifier) but there are a lot of Houstons:

    AK, AL, AR, CO, DE, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, KY, MN, MO, MS, NC, NE, OH, PA, TN, KS.

    Peter Cole Newton, MA

    (not Newton, AL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MD, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, OR, PA, TN, UT, WA, WI, or WV.

  10. "Peter Cole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "jjp" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >You'd better live where it's flat for that seven mile radius you plan
    on >biking, and I'd skip the solid inner tubes.

    I live in Houston, TX

    How many large cities named Houston are there?

    I don't know about large (or why you use that qualifier) but there are a lot of Houstons:

    Because it continues to complex me why people still say "Houston, Texas" when it's the fourth
    largest US city.

    Quoted message said:

    AK, AL, AR, CO, DE, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, KY, MN, MO, MS, NC, NE, OH, PA, TN, KS.

    The Houstons in these other states should be using the state after the city name -- but not the
    one in Texas.

  11. "Peter Cole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "jjp" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >You'd better live where it's flat for that seven mile radius you plan
    on >biking, and I'd skip the solid inner tubes.

    I live in Houston, TX

    How many large cities named Houston are there?

    I don't know about large (or why you use that qualifier) but there are a lot of Houstons:

    ... to *perplex* me -- it's been a long, long day....

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.