I finally just purchased a Redline Monocog. While the gearing (32x16) is perfect for riding on flat and uphill; if the land starts to decend at all I can't torque it at all - I just coast. What would be a more appropriate gear for my situation? I'd say I ride 20% hills, 40% flat, and 40% descents.
The irony is I can catch up to people on hills and flats - but on decents I just watch them disappear as I try to pedal but nothing happens!
I finally just purchased a Redline Monocog. While the gearing (32x16) is perfect for riding on flat and uphill; if the land starts to decend at all I can't torque it at all - I just coast. What would be a more appropriate gear for my situation? I'd say I ride 20% hills, 40% flat, and 40% descents.
The irony is I can catch up to people on hills and flats - but on decents I just watch them disappear as I try to pedal but nothing happens!
I run 32x17 and just try to get a big enough gap on climbs that they don't catch me on the way down. Spinning really fast (picture a hamster running in it's wheel) also helps - it's an acquired skill and I'm still working on it myself.
I finally just purchased a Redline Monocog. While the gearing (32x16) is perfect for riding on flat and uphill; if the land starts to decend at all I can't torque it at all - I just coast. What would be a more appropriate gear for my situation? I'd say I ride 20% hills, 40% flat, and 40% descents.
The irony is I can catch up to people on hills and flats - but on decents I just watch them disappear as I try to pedal but nothing happens!
I run 32x17 and just try to get a big enough gap on climbs that they don't catch me on the way down. Spinning really fast (picture a hamster running in it's wheel) also helps - it's an acquired skill and I'm still working on it myself.
Matt
See, that's why I don't do SS. Walking up the hills and spinning like a hamster on a wheel on the way down. I'm fairly humble but even my ego couldn't take that. :-)
I finally just purchased a Redline Monocog. While the gearing (32x16) is perfect for riding on flat and uphill; if the land starts to decend at all I can't torque it at all - I just coast. What would be a more appropriate gear for my situation? I'd say I ride 20% hills, 40% flat, and 40% descents.
The irony is I can catch up to people on hills and flats - but on decents I just watch them disappear as I try to pedal but nothing happens!
How can 20% of your riding be uphill and 40% down, certainly not by time.
I'd say pick more technical decents where pedaling in not necessary.
-- Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)
Craig Brossman <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
Lobo Tommy said:
I finally just purchased a Redline Monocog. While the gearing (32x16) is perfect for riding on flat and uphill; if the land starts to decend at all I can't torque it at all - I just coast. What would be a more appropriate gear for my situation? I'd say I ride 20% hills, 40% flat, and 40% descents.
The irony is I can catch up to people on hills and flats - but on decents I just watch them disappear as I try to pedal but nothing happens!
How can 20% of your riding be uphill and 40% down, certainly not by time.
I'd say pick more technical decents where pedaling in not necessary.
Let me rephrase that, if the land is not perfectly flat - I consider that a part of the descent category -- in my situation. When this happens I get frustrated and feel lazy because all I can do is coast. What would help me out? 32x14 or 32x15?
I have a monocog as well and soon realized how I had to coast on any (even relatively minor) downhill. I ride mine back and forth to work, and at first I just got into the groove and mellowed out on the downhills. Then I learned what another gentleman wrote - every now and then I would peddle like a madman and get a workout and a little more speed.
I still do this on my commute, but when I go out riding I usually start with a big gnarly hill and then am soooo glad to coast at the end of the ride, that I don't miss moving my legs.
SSing is a different kind of thing, IMHO. I like being forced to "cruise" a bit. Take a little time to look around and don't worry about competing with geared brethren, just riiiiiide.
The irony is I can catch up to people on hills and flats - but on decents I just watch them disappear as I try to pedal but nothing happens!
....that's irony?
Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world. :-]
I finally just purchased a Redline Monocog. While the gearing (32x16) is perfect for riding on flat and uphill; if the land starts to decend at all I can't torque it at all - I just coast. What would be a more appropriate gear for my situation? I'd say I ride 20% hills, 40% flat, and 40% descents.
What you've got to do is decide what your priority is given the fact (duh) that you've only got one speed.
Mine is that I don't want to dismount on climbs very often, so I gear for that and live with the fact of spinning out and/or coasting on descents and flats (32:17).
If you're more inclined to go fast, go for it and gear up accordingly. Experiment with gear combos on your geared bike, buy a couple of extra freewheels for different conditions. I've got an 18 and a 16, but I'm so used to the 17 that it stays on the bike all of the time.
If you can't find a gear combo you like as a compromise between grinding and spinning, go back to riding a geared bike because SS is not for you.
SSing is a different kind of thing, IMHO. I like being forced to "cruise" a bit. Take a little time to look around and don't worry about competing with geared brethren, just riiiiiide.
On 28 May 2004 07:58:49 -0700, [email hidden] (Lobo
Tommy) said:
The irony is I can catch up to people on hills and flats - but on decents I just watch them disappear as I try to pedal but nothing happens!
....that's irony?
Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world. :-]
On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:16:25 -0600, "MattB" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Bill Wheeler said:
On 28 May 2004 07:58:49 -0700, [email hidden] (Lobo
Tommy) said:
The irony is I can catch up to people on hills and flats - but on decents I just watch them disappear as I try to pedal but nothing happens!
....that's irony?
Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world. :-]
Like black fly in my chardonnay.
Matt (isn't it?)
...rain on my wedding day...
D'oh!
Bill
The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world. :-]