rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Singletrackin: Munis vs Bikes

Started by AscenXion · · Last activity · 31 posts · 568 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
30 August 2006
Last activity
1 September 2006
Original author
AscenXion
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
568
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was wondering how fast some of you guys average on a technical
    singletrack. If it's very tight and twisty without too many big
    downhills, can any of you keep up with the "average" mountain biker?

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  2. I can keep up somtimes but not much.

    --
    Goats_On_Unicycles

    The goat iz a coarse wollen sheep, with a cracked voice and a sanguine
    digestion. They had rather steal a rotten turnip out ov a garbage
    barrell than cum honestly bi a peck of oats. They strike from the hed
    and are az likely tew hit the mark az a bumblebee iz.

    'MY GALLERY' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=218412)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goats_On_Unicycles's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12566
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  3. On a techy singletrack loop like Cwmcarn or Afan (In the UK) I usually
    go at about the same average speed as a large group of bikers as they
    usually take frequent stops to regroup. Solos and pairs I only ever see
    once as they go past. I have overtaken a few mountain bikers on climbs
    but can't keep up on the flat and am way behind on the downs. I'm a
    pretty slow rider FWIW

    --
    nickjb
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  4. Ah, geekery.

    This is a loop I do around Malvern occasionally to see how fast I can
    go. On smooth, steady climbs the unicycle is as fast if not faster than
    the bike, but if the surface is rougher the bike edges ahead. Downhill,
    though, the bike can't be seen for dust, and I'm not too sure about
    level sections because there aren't any round here...

    The whole loop is just over 8 miles long; the last time I tried it took
    45 minutes on the bike and 61 minutes on the 29er. I haven't tried the
    muni yet. I can keep up with bike groups riding at a leisurely pace on
    the 29er, using a bit of nattering time to catch up after downhill
    bits, but unless the whole route is a steady climb there's no way I
    could keep up with proper fast people.

    Phil

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: speed.png |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/14791 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    phil

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  5. When I was in my good shape, I was able to outrun a friend (who was out
    of shape on a bike).
    I was also able to comfortably ride with another friend who didn't care
    much about speed.

    Kris Holm (on a 24"😉 did Moab with a set of friends on bikes and that
    worked out.
    I think they are doing 10+ mile days even.

    I know at least one trail here where a bike and uni would be evenly
    matched
    (loose rock, 12% grade, 1/2 mile).

    It also depends on the style of riding.
    If your friends are into trials, they aren't going to care much about
    racing to the next section.
    However, if they are into BMX style riding . . .

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com

    Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
    Drew Brown
    'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  6. phil said:

    Ah, geekery.

    This is a loop I do around Malvern occasionally to see how fast I can
    go. On smooth, steady climbs the unicycle is as fast if not faster than
    the bike, but if the surface is rougher the bike edges ahead. Downhill,
    though, the bike can't be seen for dust, and I'm not too sure about
    level sections because there aren't any round here...

    The whole loop is just over 8 miles long; the last time I tried it took
    45 minutes on the bike and 61 minutes on the 29er. I haven't tried the
    muni yet. I can keep up with bike groups riding at a leisurely pace on
    the 29er, using a bit of nattering time to catch up after downhill
    bits, but unless the whole route is a steady climb there's no way I
    could keep up with proper fast people.

    Phil

    Wow, thanks for all that info. So, speaking of 29ers, is this an
    off-road trail or a paved lane or what? If off-road, how does the 29er
    do out there? I have been thinking of upsizing from my 24x3, been
    wondering about a 26x3 which would be the equivalent size of a 29er.
    Just curious if they're better/worse/worth the money...

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  7. My experience is pretty much like Phil's. I'm way quicker on a bike on
    smooth flat or downhill stuff , but uphill I'm quicker on the muni
    until it gets too rough for me to ride (this is cross-country, although
    I pretty much never ride my mountain bike anymore - on the road there's
    no comparison, bike is always far faster). My usual muni route to work
    is about 9 miles, mostly xc, some (steep) road. It's mostly downhill
    going in and mostly uphill coming home (I live on the top of a hill and
    work at the bottom). Going down takes me about 55 minutes on the muni,
    but I can do it in something like 35 minutes on a mountain bike.
    Coming back the bike isn't so much quicker - takes about 1 hr 15 mins
    on the muni on a good day and only about 10 minutes quicker on the
    bike.
    On the road bike I can be down there in less than 20 minutes if I welly
    it and the sheep are well-behaved - I'm not going to come close to that
    on a unicycle... but the original question was about muni, so it's not
    really relevant.
    Oh, by the way, my muni is a 26x3 and I reckon I'm quicker on that than
    I am on a 29er, just because it's so stable and doesn't take so much
    concentration to keep up a spin. Bit more weight to pull up hills
    though. 29ers are lighter but more jittery, but most people seem to
    prefer them for xc racing - probably just what you get used to. Cokers
    are potentially quite a bit quicker though in the hands (feet?) of a
    good rider.

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  8. AscenXion said:

    Wow, thanks for all that info. So, speaking of 29ers, is this an
    off-road trail or a paved lane or what? If off-road, how does the 29er
    do out there? I have been thinking of upsizing from my 24x3, been
    wondering about a 26x3 which would be the equivalent size of a 29er.
    Just curious if they're better/worse/worth the money...

    If you have a 24x3, don't bother getting a 26x3. They're really not
    very different in terms of speed; you'd be better off just putting
    shorter cranks on the 24x3. A 29er will do fine off-road; for
    non-technical to lightly technical trails, a 29er is more fun than a
    full-on MUni, and it can handle even moderately technical terrain if
    you put long cranks on it. (If you put *really* long cranks on it,
    195mm like Jim Roberts did, you can even ride Moab terrain).

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  9. rob.northcott said:

    29ers are lighter but more jittery, but most people seem to prefer them
    for xc racing - probably just what you get used to. Cokers are
    potentially quite a bit quicker though in the hands (feet?) of a good
    rider.

    Have you tried a 29er away from the rocks of Dartmoor? They excel at
    going very quickly over smooth ground; generally this is the kind of
    terrain races will be over. Over rockier ground like Dartmoor the tyres
    are just too thin so unless you can weave around every single rock
    you're going to get shaken around a lot more than on a much softer muni
    tyre.

    The 29er is fast but over lumpy rocks it can feel like you've forgotten
    to put the tyre on...

    Phil

    --
    phil

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  10. phil said:

    Have you tried a 29er away from the rocks of Dartmoor?

    No, but I've ridden them on the smoother rocky/gravelly stuff (like the
    old railway line down from Princetown), which isn't really any rougher
    than grass or rougher fireroads. I just find them far harder to
    control (like a muni with the tyre pressure too high) and the extra
    concentration needed makes me feel less inclined to ride so fast.
    Better riders than me (i.e. technically and experience-wise, rather
    than physically) may well be able to get over the trippiness (that's a
    good word 🙂) and take advantage of the lower weight. There must be
    something in it otherwise 29ers wouldn't be so popular with the xc
    racers.

    phil said:

    They excel at going very quickly over smooth ground; generally this is
    the kind of terrain races will be over.

    You're probably right. Most of my riding does tend to be at the
    bumpier end of cross-country. The fat tyre definitely wasn't good in
    the slime at Sleepless :o - could have done with something skinnier
    then (if only coz it would have been lighter to carry).

    Anyway, that's all a bit off-topic for this thread... there must be a
    reason why 29ers are so much more popular that 26x3s, but it doesn't
    really affect the bike/unicycle comparison.

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  11. I've been on a fair few muni rides with bikes. As long as you're keeping
    it technical with no nasty fireroads it's okay as you can keep up or
    catch up a bit at gossip breaks, but once you get to any wide open flat
    or downhill sections you're screwed.

    It is hard to keep up even on twisty singletrack after the first 20
    miles or so of a days ride though, I've found that taking a large
    quantity of sugary sweets like skittles or something with you helps.

    Also making sure to ride with fat people helps too, rather than with
    racing whippets. I certainly couldn't go riding with bike riders of
    similar fitness to me.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  12. You guys must be joking... there is no way a muni could keep up with a
    bike, period. At least not my bike - a Marin Attack Trail, a long
    wheel-base full suspension 6" travel bike with 2.5" tires and E13 DRS
    chain guide. I easily go 10 or so MPH through rocky trails, up and
    down hill. I just aim downhill and rip it, the bike handles everything
    and anything.

    But then again, I'm no ordinary biker. My avid unicycling has
    transfered some amazing balancing skills over to my biking. My mtb'ing
    friends always comment on my ability to crawl and hop over really rocky
    sections, and they readily attribute it to my unicycling.

    OTOH, I'm not a muni-er, so perhaps the muni would have an advantage on
    some really technical stuff, I just don't know. I've seen some vids of
    some amazing muni. OTOH I'm more likely to just huck it over technical
    stuff on my bike - just lean back and rip it through.

    It seems that good muni'ing requires some real serious skills, but good
    biking is possible with just some confidence and speed.

    --
    CrazyChrisVT
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrazyChrisVT's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12606
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  13. CrazyChrisVT said:

    You guys must be joking... there is no way a muni could keep up with a
    bike, period.

    Who said it could? Over a random stretch of cross-country a bike will
    always be quicker, but in some situations (certainly if it's uphill)
    not by much. If you pick the course artificially so it's all slight
    uphill a muni may well be slightly quicker. On a smoothish downhill,
    or course, the bike is obviously much faster. This is assuming the
    same rider of course (or at least the same ability of rider). A fast
    unicyclist will very often be quicker cross-country than a casual
    biker. A fantastic biker like yourself wouldn't be caught by a muni
    (although you'd be surprised in the right conditions: I've left a few
    very embarassed posers with fancy bikes on my way home from work).

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  14. CrazyChrisVT said:

    You guys must be joking... there is no way a muni could keep up with a
    bike, period. At least not my bike - a Marin Attack Trail, a long
    wheel-base full suspension 6" travel bike with 2.5" tires and E13 DRS
    chain guide. I easily go 10 or so MPH through rocky trails, up and
    down hill. I just aim downhill and rip it, the bike handles everything
    and anything.

    Not wanting to be rude, but 10mph is pretty slow for a bike, on a
    downhill muni riders can go significantly faster than that.

    On the sort of downhill trail that you can just point down and let go,
    a bike will always be faster unless the rider is a complete wuss.
    Riding up, whilst the muni can still ride your heavy bike will slow you
    down loads compared to the muni. When it gets tight and twisty and
    technical, you'll be slowed down, particularly on a long travel full
    suspension bike, particularly if your technique involves a lot of just
    hanging on and riding over stuff.

    I've met some xc bike racers with stupid light bikes, who could beat me
    on absolutely any uphill or downhill, whether I was on a bike or a
    unicycle, but pretty consistently the sort of people with long travel
    bikes and super fat tyres were slower than me uphill and faster
    downhill, except when it got really twisty, where I could just about
    keep up on the downhill. The XC racing people just have the skills to
    ride stuff efficiently, which combined with super fitness is
    unbeatable.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  15. CrazyChrisVT said:

    I easily go 10 or so MPH through rocky trails, up and down hill.

    On an Attack Trail I'd like to see you go up a steep fireroad at 10mph.
    A unicycle has a "lowest speed" for going uphill at which you have to
    keep pedalling to maintain your momentum and balance; on the 29er I
    find this is around 5-6mph. On a bike you just click down the gears
    until you're going at around 4. On this kind of hill a bike can outpace
    a unicycle for a short burst but it's not sustainable. This is evident
    on long road rides or endurance events where the bikes scream past
    going downhill but uphill a unicyclist will be going much faster.

    My fastest bike for going upwards is actually the singlespeed rather
    than the proper bike for similar reasons; it is much lighter than the
    big bike but with no gears to twiddle you have to keep pedalling to
    maintain your momentum.

    Phil

    --
    phil

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  16. tholub said:

    If you have a 24x3, don't bother getting a 26x3. They're really not
    very different in terms of speed; you'd be better off just putting
    shorter cranks on the 24x3. A 29er will do fine off-road; for
    non-technical to lightly technical trails, a 29er is more fun than a
    full-on MUni, and it can handle even moderately technical terrain if
    you put long cranks on it. (If you put *really* long cranks on it,
    195mm like Jim Roberts did, you can even ride Moab terrain).

    26x3 and 29ers have the same diameter wheel size. I understand that a
    26x3 will be more heavy, and thus not quite as quick or flicky, but I'm
    intersted primarily in MUni, secondarily in everything else,
    tertiarilly in...well, nothing, I just wanted to use the word
    tertiarilly. (I just checked that to make sure I spelled it correctly,
    and what do you know, it turns out that it's not a real word...and here
    I am thinking that I'm using a big word...darn. However, I hereby
    petition that "tertiarilly" be placed into the dictionary henceforth.)

    Just curiously, why do you say that a 29er is more fun? Are you a
    brunette? 😉

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  17. phil said:

    Have you tried a 29er away from the rocks of Dartmoor? They excel at
    going very quickly over smooth ground; generally this is the kind of
    terrain races will be over. Over rockier ground like Dartmoor the tyres
    are just too thin so unless you can weave around every single rock
    you're going to get shaken around a lot more than on a much softer muni
    tyre.

    The 29er is fast but over lumpy rocks it can feel like you've forgotten
    to put the tyre on...

    Phil

    And over technical singletrack, the tire lets you know that it's had
    enough of your shananigans, and makes you walk home.

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  18. rob.northcott said:

    Better riders than me (i.e. technically and experience-wise, rather
    than physically) may well be able to get over the trippiness (that's a
    good word 🙂)

    Rob

    Did the sixties happen fifteen years later over there? 😉

    Hey, and while I've got you here, and we're off topic anywho. I have a
    question. What's the difference between England, Britain, and the UK?
    My friend actually just got back from 4 months over there, and she
    couldn't even tell me. 🙂

    Oh, and since this is my thread, I hereby refuse to allow you to worry
    about something not being on topic. Discussion flows where discussion
    is wanton to flow.

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  19. CrazyChrisVT said:

    You guys must be joking... there is no way a muni could keep up with a
    bike, period. At least not my bike - a Marin Attack Trail, a long
    wheel-base full suspension 6" travel bike with 2.5" tires and E13 DRS
    chain guide. I easily go 10 or so MPH through rocky trails, up and
    down hill. I just aim downhill and rip it, the bike handles everything
    and anything.

    But then again, I'm no ordinary biker. My avid unicycling has
    transfered some amazing balancing skills over to my biking. My mtb'ing
    friends always comment on my ability to crawl and hop over really rocky
    sections, and they readily attribute it to my unicycling.

    OTOH, I'm not a muni-er, so perhaps the muni would have an advantage on
    some really technical stuff, I just don't know. I've seen some vids of
    some amazing muni. OTOH I'm more likely to just huck it over technical
    stuff on my bike - just lean back and rip it through.

    It seems that good muni'ing requires some real serious skills, but good
    biking is possible with just some confidence and speed.

    Well, that is one impressive bike that you're talking up on a
    unicycling forum. 🙂 Remind me one day to tell you all about my
    telephone...

    But seriouslly, that's why I stated technical singletrack without too
    many hills. I have just begun muniing, I've only been out half a dozen
    times, and the last time, I was averaging about 7.5 mph with my 24x3.
    And my conditioning leaves a LOT to be desired, as obviously does my
    skill and technique. So, braging about 10 mph just doesn't really seem
    appropriate...imho 😎

    --
    AscenXion

    yoopers said:

    You've obviously shown your colors and proven that only a narrow band
    of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant god,
    AscenXion.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

  20. AscenXion said:

    26x3 and 29ers have the same diameter wheel size. I understand that a
    26x3 will be more heavy, and thus not quite as quick or flicky, but I'm
    intersted primarily in MUni, secondarily in everything else,
    tertiarilly in...well, nothing, I just wanted to use the word
    tertiarilly. (I just checked that to make sure I spelled it correctly,
    and what do you know, it turns out that it's not a real word...and here
    I am thinking that I'm using a big word...darn. However, I hereby
    petition that "tertiarilly" be placed into the dictionary henceforth.)

    Just curiously, why do you say that a 29er is more fun? Are you a
    brunette? 😉

    I say a 29er is more fun because I have a lot of experience riding
    29ers, 26x3, and 24" MUni setups, and in my experience, the 29er *is*
    more fun on easy stuff, and the 26" and 24" are about equal on all
    types of terrain. A 26x3 really doesn't *feel* any faster than a 24x3
    on the trails; the 26x3 is a little better at floating over loose
    scree, but in most cases the speed difference is imperceptible. The
    softness and chunkiness of the tire keep you from being able to flow
    quickly down the trails. Whereas on a 29er, you can definitely get the
    feeling of the wind in your hair as you're zipping down fast
    singletrack.

    If you can, borrow someone's 26x3 and go for a ride. It really doesn't
    feel that different.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52683

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.