Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

SKF BRI-600 ISIS Bottom Bracket

Started by App · · Last activity · 7 posts · 657 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 September 2005
Last activity
15 September 2005
Original author
App
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
657
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Anyone have an opinion on these as an improvement over older ISIS bb's?

    They are using roller bearings on the drive side. Good idea? Issues?

    App

  2. App said:

    Anyone have an opinion on these as an improvement over older ISIS bb's?

    They are using roller bearings on the drive side. Good idea? Issues?

    App

    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/images/in290705_skfbb_big.jpg

    Looks cool to me! Never tried one though....

    -n

  3. What takes up the axial load for the axel moving to the right, toward the
    chainrings? What is the axel made of and the weight of the unit?

    cel

    "Llatikcuf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    App said:

    Anyone have an opinion on these as an improvement over older ISIS bb's?

    They are using roller bearings on the drive side. Good idea? Issues?

    App

    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/images/in290705_skfbb_big.jpg

    Looks cool to me! Never tried one though....

    -n

  4. App said:


    Anyone have an opinion on these as an improvement over older ISIS bb's?

    They are using roller bearings on the drive side. Good idea? Issues?

    I can't offer any specific observations about the BB in question, but
    the mechanism is very similar to that of a rear hub I made several
    years ago. It used a roller bearing in the freewheel side to allow the
    use of a larger axle than could otherwise be accomodated within the
    freewheel thread.

    The left side cartridge bearing was retained by a cap fixed with a
    circle of small screws. I did this so that the axle would not be able
    to float out of the left side of the hub if the bearing's press-fit
    failed to hold.

    The main drawback I have been able to discern over a more conventional
    hub is that the roller bearing has some internal clearance which can't
    be adjusted away. This results in a small amount of play at the rim,
    reminiscent of a loose bearing in a cup & cone hub. I used an
    industrial drawn-cup roller bearing and sleeve-type race pressed on to
    the axle; if I had been able to specify the bearing clearance with more
    precision, I expect that the free play could have been reduced, but
    probably not eliminated.

    I believe that the BB in question is apt to exhibit some amount of the
    same sort of play in the crank.

    Using a roller bearing on the right side seems like a generally good
    idea, though-- the right side sees the same radial loads from pedaling
    as the left side does, but it sees substantially higher radial loads
    from chain tension. The radial load capacity of a roller bearing that
    will fit within the space available is vastly larger than that of a
    ball bearing that will fit in the same space.

    Chalo Colina

  5. App said:


    Anyone have an opinion on these as an improvement over older ISIS bb's?

    They are using roller bearings on the drive side. Good idea? Issues?

    I can't offer any specific observations about the BB in question, but
    the mechanism is very similar to that of a rear hub I made several
    years ago. It used a roller bearing in the freewheel side to allow the
    use of a larger axle than could otherwise be accomodated within the
    freewheel thread.

    The left side cartridge bearing was retained by a cap fixed with a
    circle of small screws. I did this so that the axle would not be able
    to float out of the left side of the hub if the bearing's press-fit
    failed to hold.

    The main drawback I have been able to discern over a more conventional
    hub is that the roller bearing has some internal clearance which can't
    be adjusted away. This results in a small amount of play at the rim,
    reminiscent of a loose bearing in a cup & cone hub. I used an
    industrial drawn-cup roller bearing and sleeve-type race pressed on to
    the axle; if I had been able to specify the bearing clearance with more
    precision, I expect that the free play could have been reduced, but
    probably not eliminated.

    I believe that the BB in question is apt to exhibit some amount of the
    same sort of play in the crank.

    Using a roller bearing on the right side seems like a generally good
    idea, though-- the right side sees the same radial loads from pedaling
    as the left side does, but it sees substantially higher radial loads
    from chain tension. The radial load capacity of a roller bearing that
    will fit within the space available is vastly larger than that of a
    ball bearing that will fit in the same space.

    Chalo Colina

  6. Quoted message said:


    What takes up the axial load for the axel moving to the right, toward the
    chainrings?

    a ball bearing

    Quoted message said:

    What is the axel made of

    stainless steel (some cheaper axles are plated cromo)

    Quoted message said:

    and the weight of the unit?

    290 grams

    SKF says they'll last 15 years, and they know bearings. Production has
    just started.

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  7. Quoted message said:

    I believe that the BB in question is apt to exhibit some amount of the
    same sort of play in the crank.

    In that case, what about applying a couple of balls towards the outside of
    the roller bearing (even building it into the retainer) to run on a tiny
    race ground into a small, thin steel insert that fits into the drive-side
    cup assembly?

    Do you happen to have any quantitative numbers on that vastly high load
    capacity for the roller bearing?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.