General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Slightly horrible camping experience last weekend...

Started by Peewiglet · · Last activity · 44 posts · 1,023 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 November 2004
Last activity
6 November 2004
Original author
Peewiglet
Posts
44
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,023
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 44
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Don't read on if you hate stories about little grubby things...

    Last Friday night I pitched my tent on a little hillocky thing at the
    foot of Rossett Gill near Langdale, in preparation for a trog up
    towards Borrowdale on Saturday. It was a lovely evening, and there
    wasn't any rain. The ground was very boggy, but my groundsheet is
    intact so I wasn't worried.

    I unpacked into the tent, laid out my rucksack, flask and water bottle
    in the porch and began to inflate my 2 mattresses, and to get the
    sleepy bag out of its sack. Not long after that I turned back to the
    porch, and made a Kettley Thing full of hot choccolate, which I drank.
    Some time after that I picked up my water bottle and flask and noticed
    that there seemed to be something swarming over both of them... when I
    looked closer it turned out that there were hundreds of very tiny,
    thread-like wormy things all over the metal. They were moving around;
    wriggling. I had to exercise a lot of very fast self restraint to keep
    from running shrieking out of the tent and leaving all my kit behind,
    because if there's something that really gives me the absolute creeps
    it's little wormy things. (I don't mind earthworms, slugs, snails etc,
    but parasitic worms? Please don your earphones while I scream...)

    I put the flask and bottle down on the grass, quickly, and after a
    minute or so I tried to wipe off the wormy things with some of my loo
    roll. They turned out to be surprisingly robust and sticky, though,
    and I was afraid of wiping them onto my fingers, so it was a tricky
    process. My rubbing seemed to be clogging them up into little clumps
    around the entrance to the cup of my flask, and the stopper on my Sigg
    :-( It then occurred to me that there might have been some on the
    bottom of the gas cannister that I'd put back into a corner of the
    tent, and (horror of horrors...) on my Kettley Thing. Investigations
    proved both of these to be correct...

    In the end I spent about 30 minutes wiping and re-wiping the gas
    cannister, and I left the flask, W. bottle and Kettley Thing in the
    porch to be dealt with in the morning. I didn't sleep very well,
    partly because of my mattress problem but mainly because each time I
    closed my eyes I saw little thread-like wormy things swarming towards
    me from the porch...

    In the morning it took me a couple of hours to psych myself up to pack
    up the tent, as I could hardly bear to turn it over and look under the
    groundsheet. I did in the end, though, and sure enough there were
    thousands of little wriggling thread-like things. I took my flask,
    bottle and Kettley Thing to a stream and did my best to wipe them
    clean. Once I'd packed up I almost walked back to the car and drove
    home to wash my kit properly and get a shower, but I didn't because I
    was afraid I'd never want to get out in the tent again. In the end I
    had a fabulous Saturday, so I'm glad I didn't wimp out.

    What I'm wondering now, though, is what these icky little wormy things
    are likely to have been. Does anyone know? I made sure not to camp in
    a boggy bit on Saturday night, and I didn't see any more of the
    terrifying creatures. I'd noticed earlier on Friday, though, that my
    hands felt vaguely slimey after I'd leaned on some grass/moss, and
    afterwards I wondered whether these things were all over teh grass in
    the valley.

    Could they have been mosquito larvae or something? I'd like to think
    so, as then I could shift them out of the 'worm' category in my mind.
    Having said that, though, they didn't look like what I've always
    thought of as mosquito larvae in water butts.

    Any ideas? It really was a horrible experience. They're still all over
    the bottom of my groundsheet....

    <fx: shudder...>

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  2. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Any ideas? It really was a horrible experience. They're still all over
    the bottom of my groundsheet....


    Ooh, you poor thing! That sounds truy ghastly. I haven't a
    clue what they are or were, but if you come over here I can
    let you have a totally worm-free mug of hot comforting
    chocolate with just a smidge of something brandy-like to pep
    it up a tad.
    --
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is
    probably the day that they start making vacuum cleaners."
    --Doc in alt.privacy

  3. Fran said:

    Ooh, you poor thing! That sounds truy ghastly. I haven't a
    clue what they are or were, but if you come over here I can
    let you have a totally worm-free mug of hot comforting
    chocolate with just a smidge of something brandy-like to pep
    it up a tad.

    Thank you - it was horrible!! The special hot choc sound pretty good,
    though.... mmmm 🙂

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  4. On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 00:25:16 +0000, Peewiglet <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    | Any ideas? It really was a horrible experience. They're still all over
    | the bottom of my groundsheet....

    Put everything in the a *sealed* large plastic bag in the freezer for a few
    days, or a week or two. This is how museum conservators get rid of creepy
    crawlies.

    --
    Dave F

  5. "Peewiglet" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Don't read on if you hate stories about little grubby things...

    Some time after that I picked up my water bottle and flask and noticed
    that there seemed to be something swarming over both of them... when I
    looked closer it turned out that there were hundreds of very tiny,
    thread-like wormy things all over the metal. They were moving around;
    wriggling.

    Quoted message said:

    What I'm wondering now, though, is what these icky little wormy things
    are likely to have been. Does anyone know?

    Quoted message said:

    Could they have been mosquito larvae or something? I'd like to think
    so, as then I could shift them out of the 'worm' category in my mind.
    Having said that, though, they didn't look like what I've always
    thought of as mosquito larvae in water butts.

    Any ideas? It really was a horrible experience. They're still all over
    the bottom of my groundsheet....

    1.They could be mosquitolarves (in Dutch : emelten), there are larves that
    are *born* in soil.
    2.young millipeeds or something familiar ?
    3.I suppose there wasn't a corpse lying around, but perhaps a sort of maggot
    ?

    --
    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net
    [email hidden](we'll.leave.the.house.and.read.the.mail)

  6. Peewiglet said:

    Don't read on if you hate stories about little grubby things...

    When I were a lad of about 14 in Oz we went on a camping trip to the
    south coast of NSW with a group from school. It was the type of
    trip that would be well banned these days, basically we took a couple
    of teachers, about 15 boys and girls, and camped more or less
    in the middle of nowhere near the beach for a week and looked after
    ourselves. We had to take all our own food and do all our own cooking,
    which was a bit of a novelty too. It was a drive-to, so we had plenty
    of kit, and I had my parent's gas camping stove, lots of tins of
    food, rice, and all sorts to keep me going for the week.

    Anyway, one evening, I decided that rice would be a nice repast, and
    I decided to make a concoction with boiled rice mixed with veggies
    and tinned sausages and the like, which I had the first night mixed
    with beetroot so it was a nice scarlet clour on my plate, yum yum!

    You might have noticed the phrase "the first night" in the last
    paragraph, and it's indeed salient to the story. You see, I'd
    made far too much rice, and so I left the remainder in the pot,
    and stuck it in the cool in the porch of my tent to have the next
    day - fantastic, I thought, less cooking!

    Anyway, next day dawned bright and sunny, and we went to the beach
    and walked up and down the coast and did the things that teenage
    kids like to do together, and sometime later in the afternoon I
    got back to my tent feeling a bit peckish, and, remembering the rice,
    decided to have a bit of a nibble. Got the rice, got a spoon, dipped
    it into the rice, put it up and into my mouth, noticed movement out
    of the corner of my eye, looked at the rice pot, and discovered that
    all the grains were writhing and wiggling around in an orgy of maggoty
    glut. Yes, some bloody blowie had laid its eggs in there, they'd all
    hatched, and the maggots were more or less indistinguishable from the
    fluffy white rice that was giving them sustenance.

    Needless to say, the contents of my mouth made it no further, and they
    were nearly, but not quite joined on the ground by the contents of my
    stomach. To this day, I can't eat rice unless I know it's been
    freshly cooked.

    --
    Trevor Barton

  7. On 04 Nov 2004 07:27:05 GMT, Trevor Barton <[email hidden]> wrote:

    | Anyway, next day dawned bright and sunny, and we went to the beach
    | and walked up and down the coast and did the things that teenage
    | kids like to do together, and sometime later in the afternoon I
    | got back to my tent feeling a bit peckish, and, remembering the rice,
    | decided to have a bit of a nibble. Got the rice, got a spoon, dipped
    | it into the rice, put it up and into my mouth, noticed movement out
    | of the corner of my eye, looked at the rice pot, and discovered that
    | all the grains were writhing and wiggling around in an orgy of maggoty
    | glut. Yes, some bloody blowie had laid its eggs in there, they'd all
    | hatched, and the maggots were more or less indistinguishable from the
    | fluffy white rice that was giving them sustenance.
    |
    | Needless to say, the contents of my mouth made it no further, and they
    | were nearly, but not quite joined on the ground by the contents of my
    | stomach. To this day, I can't eat rice unless I know it's been
    | freshly cooked.

    To go a bit Off Topic, cooked rice is very difficult to store safely.
    http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/cereus.html
    http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Health/cereus.asp
    Fresh rice often contains a very nasty bug called Bacillus Cereus, which:
    1. Forms spores which can survive normal cooking and start growing again
    when it gets to room heat again.
    2. Forms a toxin while growing in food at room temperature.

    The symptoms are "explosive" diarrhea, and vomiting within an hour or so.
    Not nice on a hill.

    The only way the likes of us can safely store home cooked rice are:
    Cook it and eat it while still hot. IMO far the best.
    Cook it, cool it for not more than 1 1/2 hrs, store it in a fridge, reheat
    it to piping hot, microwave is OK.

    Keeping it in a rucksack is a *bad* idea.

    The professionals making tinned or tubbed rice products have special sets
    of rules to deal with this nasty.

    --
    Dave Fawthrop <[email hidden]> Sick of Premium SMS scams,
    SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?
    Register with http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
    IME they work :-)

  8. Peewiglet said:

    Don't read on if you hate stories about little grubby things...


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    Any ideas? It really was a horrible experience. They're still all over
    the bottom of my groundsheet....

    Nematodes?

  9. Quoted message said:

    What I'm wondering now, though, is what these icky little wormy things
    are likely to have been. Does anyone know?

    At a guess, they could have been nematode worms. These are unrelated to
    earthworms, incredibly numerous and common in soil and vegetation, in
    this case totally harmless. 'Roundworms' which infest animals and
    sometimes humans are the same type of thing but bigger and obviously not
    harmless. The two sorts I've mentioned are no more closely related than
    we are to, say, a mouse.
    They could also have been midge larvae, but I'd go for nematodes.
    --
    Richard Evans
    (richard[at]ra.evans.clara.co.uk to reply by e-mail)

  10. Peewiglet said:

    Don't read on if you hate stories about little grubby things...

    Any ideas? It really was a horrible experience. They're still all over
    the bottom of my groundsheet....

    <fx: shudder...>

    Best wishes,

    There is a white worm bred and used for feeding tropical fish I used to get
    called enchytraeids worm. You buy them as cultures and feed them on porridge
    oats, they prefer moist acid conditions.

    I found this site with pictures. Is this what you saw.

    http://merlewood.ceh.ac.uk/Sections/soils/enchysvideo.htm

    --

    Don`t Worry, Be Happy

    Sandy
    --

    E-Mail:- [email hidden]
    Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk
    Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

  11. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the
    wonderful person Sandy Birrell <[email hidden]> said
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    There is a white worm bred and used for feeding tropical fish I used to get
    called enchytraeids worm. You buy them as cultures and feed them on porridge
    oats, they prefer moist acid conditions.

    That was going to be my suggestions. I used to feed them wet brown bread
    too, which they also thrived on. Never seen them in the wild though.

    Quoted message said:

    I found this site with pictures. Is this what you saw.

    http://merlewood.ceh.ac.uk/Sections/soils/enchysvideo.htm

    If that's what it was, a few guppies will soon sort things out. 8>.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

  12. Dave Fawthrop said:

    On 04 Nov 2004 07:27:05 GMT, Trevor Barton <[email hidden]> wrote:

    | Anyway, next day dawned bright and sunny, and we went to the beach
    | and walked up and down the coast and did the things that teenage
    | kids like to do together, and sometime later in the afternoon I
    | got back to my tent feeling a bit peckish, and, remembering the rice,
    | decided to have a bit of a nibble. Got the rice, got a spoon, dipped
    | it into the rice, put it up and into my mouth, noticed movement out
    | of the corner of my eye, looked at the rice pot, and discovered that
    | all the grains were writhing and wiggling around in an orgy of maggoty
    | glut. Yes, some bloody blowie had laid its eggs in there, they'd all
    | hatched, and the maggots were more or less indistinguishable from the
    | fluffy white rice that was giving them sustenance.
    |
    | Needless to say, the contents of my mouth made it no further, and they
    | were nearly, but not quite joined on the ground by the contents of my
    | stomach. To this day, I can't eat rice unless I know it's been
    | freshly cooked.

    To go a bit Off Topic, cooked rice is very difficult to store safely.
    http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/cereus.html
    http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Health/cereus.asp
    Fresh rice often contains a very nasty bug called Bacillus Cereus, which:
    1. Forms spores which can survive normal cooking and start growing again
    when it gets to room heat again.
    2. Forms a toxin while growing in food at room temperature.

    The symptoms are "explosive" diarrhea, and vomiting within an hour or so.
    Not nice on a hill.

    The only way the likes of us can safely store home cooked rice are:
    Cook it and eat it while still hot. IMO far the best.
    Cook it, cool it for not more than 1 1/2 hrs, store it in a fridge, reheat
    it to piping hot, microwave is OK.

    Keeping it in a rucksack is a *bad* idea.

    The professionals making tinned or tubbed rice products have special sets
    of rules to deal with this nasty.

    That is truly revolting. You've probably put me off rice for good.

    --
    Trevor Barton

  13. Hello, Peewiglet !

    You said:

    Last Friday night...
    noticed that there seemed to be something swarming over both of


    them...

    Quoted message said:

    terrifying creatures.
    Could they have been mosquito larvae or something?

    Mosi larvae live in water and are mostly black. These are
    probably some kind of parasitic (?) threadworm. I once came back
    to my pack, after leaving it to bag an outlying top, and found it
    swarming with the things. They must detect the heat and home in
    looking for a warm body to have their evil way with. I reckon a
    trip to the chemist's is in order to get some worming tablets.
    Even if none got to you, you aren't going to be happy until you
    do. They say that upto 50% of children have worms at some stage,
    so don't feel too ebarassed about asking for something to treat
    threadworms.
    --
    Phil Cook -from his PDA - so not looking at the Westminster
    Gasworks

  14. On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:25:03 GMT+1, [email hidden] (Phil Cook)

    Quoted message said:

    Mosi larvae live in water and are mostly black. These are
    probably some kind of parasitic (?) threadworm. I once came back
    to my pack, after leaving it to bag an outlying top, and found it
    swarming with the things. They must detect the heat and home in
    looking for a warm body to have their evil way with. I reckon a
    trip to the chemist's is in order to get some worming tablets.
    Even if none got to you, you aren't going to be happy until you
    do. They say that upto 50% of children have worms at some stage,
    so don't feel too ebarassed about asking for something to treat
    threadworms.

    AAAAGGGGHHHHH! :-((((

    Now I'll be terrified to go to the loo.... if one of them got to me,
    how soon should signs appear?

    <fx: sob, sob, sob!!!>

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  15. On 04 Nov 2004 14:52:52 GMT, Trevor Barton <[email hidden]> wrote:

    | > To go a bit Off Topic, cooked rice is very difficult to store safely.
    | > http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/cereus.html
    | > http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Health/cereus.asp
    | > Fresh rice often contains a very nasty bug called Bacillus Cereus, which:
    | > 1. Forms spores which can survive normal cooking and start growing again
    | > when it gets to room heat again.
    | > 2. Forms a toxin while growing in food at room temperature.
    | >
    | > The symptoms are "explosive" diarrhea, and vomiting within an hour or so.
    | > Not nice on a hill.
    | >
    | > The only way the likes of us can safely store home cooked rice are:
    | > Cook it and eat it while still hot. IMO far the best.
    | > Cook it, cool it for not more than 1 1/2 hrs, store it in a fridge, reheat
    | > it to piping hot, microwave is OK.
    | >
    | > Keeping it in a rucksack is a *bad* idea.
    | >
    | > The professionals making tinned or tubbed rice products have special sets
    | > of rules to deal with this nasty.
    |
    | That is truly revolting. You've probably put me off rice for good.

    Sorry about that, rice is absolutely safe if you just cook it and then eat
    it. We have it at least once per week.

    --
    Dave F

  16. A grim tale indeed Pewiglet. You have my sympathies. 🙁

  17. Quoted message said:


    Mosi larvae live in water and are mostly black.

    Agreed.

    Quoted message said:

    These are
    probably some kind of parasitic (?) threadworm. I once came back
    to my pack, after leaving it to bag an outlying top, and found it
    swarming with the things. They must detect the heat and home in
    looking for a warm body to have their evil way with.

    I don't think this is at all likely. Human parasites are generally
    associated with human populations/contaminated water/whatever, since
    some kind of transmission mechanism is needed to get the parasite to the
    host. The moraines of upper Langdale are not a likely home for vast
    numbers of these things, just waiting for a victim.

    Of course, quite a lot of parasites have more than one host- sheep/liver
    fluke being a nasty example.

    There are so many nematodes in soil/bog etc. that I still think that's
    much more likely.

    Could be wrong, of course......

    --
    Richard Evans

  18. Quoted message said:

    I had to exercise a lot of very fast self restraint to keep
    from running shrieking out of the tent and leaving all my kit behind,

    I've been a vegetarian for about nine years. In that time, the only flesh
    fish or foul I have consumed is:

    - Lee & Perrins, until I discoveed it was made from anchovies (honest)
    - A chicken leg at a buffet (force of habit)
    - and a slug that crawled into my mouth when camping.

    Quoted message said:

    They're still all over
    the bottom of my groundsheet....

    Perhaps you could scan some and send us the pictures for identification?

    Cheers

    Blippie
    --
    Ten minutes of this rain will do more good in half an hour than a fortnight
    of ordinary rain in a month.

  19. Peewiglet <[email hidden]> wrote:
    [ a horrible story which I've snipped]

    Yuk! My sympathies! I was actually camping and walking in the
    Lakes the same weekend, over in Eskdale, and you're right: Saturday was
    magnificent.

    Your tale of the bugs almost put me off wild camping! However I
    talked to a colleague who has a PhD in parasitology. Her view was that
    the beasties were probably nematode worms. You get threadworm infections
    from the worms' eggs getting under your fingernails; adult threadworms
    wouldn't be as bad (even if that's what they were).

    Hope this is somewhat reassuring!

    Best wishes,
    Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email hidden]

  20. Get grip woman. Wild camping in the winter will mean encounters such as
    this. I know it is not pleasant but so long as the inner tent is bug free
    you should have a safe haven!

    --
    Andy Howell
    Birmingham, UK

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.