General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Slightly OT but heart monitors?

Started by The Crow · · Last activity · 13 posts · 316 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 February 2005
Last activity
27 February 2005
Original author
The Crow
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
316
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi.
    I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone know
    anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym recently,
    and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.

    He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you think?

    Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by Oregon, it's
    the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this piece
    of kit?

    Thanks a lot. Again.

  2. On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:53:29 -0000, "The Crow" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi.
    I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone know
    anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym recently,
    and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.

    He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you think?

    Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by Oregon, it's
    the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this piece
    of kit?

    Thanks a lot. Again.

    Lots of people here know lots about lots, so you might get some good
    answers.

    Heart monitors are more often discussed over at rec.running though so
    you might want to try over there too.

    Ellis

  3. "The Crow" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Hi.
    I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone know
    anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym recently,
    and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.

    He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you


    think?

    Quoted message said:


    Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by Oregon,


    it's

    Quoted message said:

    the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this


    piece

    Quoted message said:

    of kit?

    Most of the cardio machines at my gym have semi-reliable heart-rate monitors
    built in, so it's usefulness is probably more a function of his interest in
    'gadgets'. I think HRMs are more useful to people exercising 'on the road.'
    Thus, you might get more information from a group like rec.running regarding
    HRMs.

    The only other thought I had is that a friend of mine read Consumer Reports
    about pedometers and bought the one they recommended and she loves it. So
    you might try looking at CR to see what they say. If you go to their home
    page http://www.consumerreports.org you can look up when their reviews. You
    have to be a subscriber to actually *see* the review, but it will tell you
    that they reviewed HRMs in June '03. Then you can go to the library, get
    this issue, and read their results.

    I did when I had to install a new toilet and had heard all the horror
    stories about low flow toilets. I got the one recommended by CR that was in
    my price range and I think in the 8 or so years it's been in, I've had to
    double flush it about twice. My point? CR recommendations seem to be pretty
    good (IME).

    HTH,
    Selene
    talk about OT!

    --
    There's nothing scarier than a soybean wielding a chainsaw. -- Lucas Buck

  4. "The Crow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi.
    I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone know
    anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym recently,
    and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.

    He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you


    think?

    Quoted message said:


    Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by Oregon,


    it's

    Quoted message said:

    the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this


    piece

    Quoted message said:

    of kit?

    Thanks a lot. Again.

    FWIW, Polar is the "gold standard" of HRM's (and, their prices reflect
    that). If you're Dad's a real Inspector Gadget, get him one of the higher
    end Polar units.

    Most of the other brands, however, are just as reliable. In addition, most
    other brands allow for self-replacement of batteries (something Polar does
    not permit).

    All models will display current heart rate. Some allow for setting of heart
    rate training zones, tracking the amount of time spent in each zone,
    calculation of average heart rate during a workout, capture of max heart
    rate during the workout, etc. The high end Polar units capture heart rate
    as often as every 5 seconds, and allow for downloading the HR data to a PC.

    If your Dad just wants a basic unit for training and cardiovascular fitness,
    I'd recommend one of the basic units. Features he might find most useful
    include: HR zones, average heart rate for workout, and max heart rate for
    workout.

    Performance Bike carries quite a few brands, but there are many other sites
    on the net:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=4115

    --
    ~_-*
    ....G/ \G
    http://www.CycliStats.com
    CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

  5. GaryG said:

    "The Crow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone know
    anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym recently,
    and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.

    He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you


    think?

    Quoted message said:


    Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by Oregon,


    it's

    Quoted message said:

    the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this


    piece

    Quoted message said:

    of kit?

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, Polar is the "gold standard" of HRM's (and, their prices reflect
    that). If you're Dad's a real Inspector Gadget, get him one of the higher
    end Polar units.

    Quoted message said:

    Most of the other brands, however, are just as reliable. In addition, most
    other brands allow for self-replacement of batteries (something Polar does
    not permit).

    But the batteries do last for years. Polar insist on factory
    replacement so that the seals against sweat getting into it are really
    secure.

    Quoted message said:

    All models will display current heart rate. Some allow for setting of heart
    rate training zones, tracking the amount of time spent in each zone,
    calculation of average heart rate during a workout, capture of max heart
    rate during the workout, etc. The high end Polar units capture heart rate
    as often as every 5 seconds, and allow for downloading the HR data to a PC.

    All Polar units, including the cheapest, capture every heart beat, and
    update the displayed heart rate every 5 or so seconds. The more
    expensive ines do more, but they all do that.

    Being an old fart with atherosclerosis and having had a heart attack I
    need to watch I don't push my heart rate too far. The cheapest unit is
    perfectly adequate to find out what my heart rate is at a glance. The
    rest is entertainment, unless you really believe all that stuff about
    only burning fat between two highly specific heart rates, etc..

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  6. The Crow said:

    Hi.
    I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone


    know

    Quoted message said:

    anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym


    recently,

    Quoted message said:

    and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.

    He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you


    think?

    Quoted message said:


    Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by


    Oregon, it's

    Quoted message said:

    the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this


    piece

    Quoted message said:

    of kit?

    Thanks a lot. Again.

    Tell him to take his pulse for 10 seconds and mulitply by 6...far more
    reliable and doesn't require batteries.

  7. "Chris Malcolm" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GaryG said:

    "The Crow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone


    know

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym


    recently,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.

    He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you


    think?

    Quoted message said:


    Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by Oregon,


    it's

    Quoted message said:

    the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this


    piece

    Quoted message said:

    of kit?

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, Polar is the "gold standard" of HRM's (and, their prices reflect
    that). If you're Dad's a real Inspector Gadget, get him one of the


    higher

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    end Polar units.

    Quoted message said:

    Most of the other brands, however, are just as reliable. In addition,


    most

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    other brands allow for self-replacement of batteries (something Polar


    does

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not permit).

    But the batteries do last for years. Polar insist on factory
    replacement so that the seals against sweat getting into it are really
    secure.

    Quoted message said:

    All models will display current heart rate. Some allow for setting of


    heart

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    rate training zones, tracking the amount of time spent in each zone,
    calculation of average heart rate during a workout, capture of max heart
    rate during the workout, etc. The high end Polar units capture heart


    rate

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    as often as every 5 seconds, and allow for downloading the HR data to a


    PC.

    Quoted message said:


    All Polar units, including the cheapest, capture every heart beat, and
    update the displayed heart rate every 5 or so seconds. The more
    expensive ines do more, but they all do that.

    I didn't mean to imply they don't. All HRM's display "current heart rate"
    (updated every few seconds). The high end models capture current heart rate
    and a timestamp, with a user-settable frequency - every 5 seconds is the
    highest frequency as I recall. They save it in the watch so that it can be
    downloaded after the workout.

    Quoted message said:


    Being an old fart with atherosclerosis and having had a heart attack I
    need to watch I don't push my heart rate too far. The cheapest unit is
    perfectly adequate to find out what my heart rate is at a glance. The
    rest is entertainment, unless you really believe all that stuff about
    only burning fat between two highly specific heart rates, etc..

    As you suggest, they're most useful as "governors"...my tendency on the bike
    is to go hard all the time, and using the HRM helps me to keep my HR lower
    on days when I'm doing recovery rides.

    FWIW, I definitely do *not* believe in the "fat burning zone"...IMO it's a
    convenient excuse for people who want to exercise without sweating.

    GG

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  8. "gman99" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    The Crow said:

    Hi.
    I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone


    know

    Quoted message said:

    anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym


    recently,

    Quoted message said:

    and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.

    He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you


    think?

    Quoted message said:


    Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by


    Oregon, it's

    Quoted message said:

    the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this


    piece

    Quoted message said:

    of kit?

    Thanks a lot. Again.

    Tell him to take his pulse for 10 seconds and mulitply by 6...far more
    reliable and doesn't require batteries.

    LOL - try that while riding a mountain bike, or climbing a steep road, or
    trail running, or swimming.

    GG

  9. GaryG said:

    "gman99" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    The Crow said:

    Hi.
    I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone

    know

    Quoted message said:

    anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym

    recently,

    Quoted message said:

    and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.

    He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you

    think?

    Quoted message said:

    Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by

    Oregon, it's

    Quoted message said:

    the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this

    piece

    Quoted message said:

    of kit?

    Thanks a lot. Again.

    Tell him to take his pulse for 10 seconds and mulitply by 6...far more
    reliable and doesn't require batteries.

    LOL - try that while riding a mountain bike, or climbing a steep road, or
    trail running, or swimming.

    GG

    gman shows himself to be IOM material once again...

    --
    spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

    I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
    hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
    marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
    transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  10. "Chris Malcolm" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GaryG said:

    "The Crow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone


    know

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym


    recently,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.

    He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you


    think?

    Quoted message said:


    Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by Oregon,


    it's

    Quoted message said:

    the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this


    piece

    Quoted message said:

    of kit?

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, Polar is the "gold standard" of HRM's (and, their prices reflect
    that). If you're Dad's a real Inspector Gadget, get him one of the


    higher

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    end Polar units.

    Quoted message said:

    Most of the other brands, however, are just as reliable. In addition,


    most

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    other brands allow for self-replacement of batteries (something Polar


    does

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not permit).

    But the batteries do last for years. Polar insist on factory
    replacement so that the seals against sweat getting into it are really
    secure.

    Quoted message said:

    All models will display current heart rate. Some allow for setting of


    heart

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    rate training zones, tracking the amount of time spent in each zone,
    calculation of average heart rate during a workout, capture of max heart
    rate during the workout, etc. The high end Polar units capture heart


    rate

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    as often as every 5 seconds, and allow for downloading the HR data to a


    PC.

    Quoted message said:


    All Polar units, including the cheapest, capture every heart beat, and
    update the displayed heart rate every 5 or so seconds. The more
    expensive ines do more, but they all do that.

    Being an old fart with atherosclerosis and having had a heart attack I
    need to watch I don't push my heart rate too far. The cheapest unit is
    perfectly adequate to find out what my heart rate is at a glance. The
    rest is entertainment, unless you really believe all that stuff about
    only burning fat between two highly specific heart rates, etc..

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    I have a Polar right now (one of the cheapest ones), and before I had a
    Fitnesspry or something (a generic brand)--much cheaper than the Polar. I
    could replace the batteries in cheap one; however, the Polar does last a
    long time before replacement. My only gripe with the Polar compared to the
    cheap one, is the face and the way they display heart rate. The Polar uses
    some weird expanding numeral system (going from largest number to smallest
    the numerals get bigger across the dial), and overall the numerals are
    small. The damn thing is hard to read (even with my glasses on--which is a
    pain with sweat and all).
    So Polar may make a superior product (on the inside), but I do not care for
    their usability--in the one I got.
    Just my $0.02. Make sure you get one that you are comfortable using in the
    situation you are going to be using it in.
    --
    Dr. Dickie
    Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
    Poking kooks with a pointy stick
    Proud member of the, "Vast right-wing conspiracy."

  11. Dr_Dickie said:

    "Chris Malcolm" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GaryG said:

    "The Crow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone


    know

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym


    recently,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.
    >
    > He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you
    think?
    >
    > Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by Oregon,
    it's
    > the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this
    piece
    > of kit?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, Polar is the "gold standard" of HRM's (and, their prices reflect
    that). If you're Dad's a real Inspector Gadget, get him one of the


    higher

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    end Polar units.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Most of the other brands, however, are just as reliable. In addition,


    most

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    other brands allow for self-replacement of batteries (something Polar


    does

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not permit).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But the batteries do last for years. Polar insist on factory
    replacement so that the seals against sweat getting into it are really
    secure.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    All models will display current heart rate. Some allow for setting of


    heart

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    rate training zones, tracking the amount of time spent in each zone,
    calculation of average heart rate during a workout, capture of max heart
    rate during the workout, etc. The high end Polar units capture heart


    rate

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    as often as every 5 seconds, and allow for downloading the HR data to a


    PC.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    All Polar units, including the cheapest, capture every heart beat, and
    update the displayed heart rate every 5 or so seconds. The more
    expensive ines do more, but they all do that.

    Quoted message said:

    I have a Polar right now (one of the cheapest ones), and before I had a
    Fitnesspry or something (a generic brand)--much cheaper than the Polar. I
    could replace the batteries in cheap one; however, the Polar does last a
    long time before replacement. My only gripe with the Polar compared to the
    cheap one, is the face and the way they display heart rate. The Polar uses
    some weird expanding numeral system (going from largest number to smallest
    the numerals get bigger across the dial), and overall the numerals are
    small. The damn thing is hard to read (even with my glasses on--which is a
    pain with sweat and all).
    So Polar may make a superior product (on the inside), but I do not care for
    their usability--in the one I got.

    In which case you should have got the cheaper one which only displays
    heart rate, in very large numerals which are very easy to read.

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  12. "Chris Malcolm" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dr_Dickie said:

    "Chris Malcolm" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    GaryG <[email hidden]> wrote:


    Snip>

    Quoted message said:

    In which case you should have got the cheaper one which only displays
    heart rate, in very large numerals which are very easy to read.

    --

    That is the one I got. That ain't large (unless they sell something
    different over there).
    --
    Dr. Dickie
    Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
    Poking kooks with a pointy stick
    Proud member of the, "Vast right-wing conspiracy."

  13. "GaryG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "The Crow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi.
    I wanted to get my dad a heart rate monitor for his birthday. Anyone


    know

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    anything about these items? He's started working out at the gym


    recently,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and does some cardio for which I thought he might find it useful.

    He's in his mid fifties, will a heart rate monitor be helpful do you


    think?

    Quoted message said:


    Also, getting specific, I've found an entry level model made by Oregon,


    it's

    Quoted message said:

    the HR102 model. It looks basic, but anyone know anything about this


    piece

    Quoted message said:

    of kit?

    Thanks a lot. Again.

    FWIW, Polar is the "gold standard" of HRM's (and, their prices reflect
    that). If you're Dad's a real Inspector Gadget, get him one of the higher
    end Polar units.


    I have a Polar M52 which I got as a gift 12 years ago. It's been flawlessly
    reliable, and it's not exactly state of the art. About a year ago the
    battery in the watch died. Polar has a "tune up" program for $18 or so,
    where they change the watch battery. When I got it back they had replaced
    the watch battery , given me a new transmitter(said the old one was
    defective, go figure), AND a t-shirt. Great company and a great product.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.