Slightly OT: Cycling music

Captain Dondo

Guest
A long time ago (maybe 10 years?) I heard a CD by an Irish male singer, singing a ballad about going
riding. In it he talks about the countryside, his legs pumping, etc. It had a driving beat and was a
great motivator.

I'm trying to find this particualr CD; anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Failing that,
what do people listen on indoor rides?

Thanks,

-Dondo

Captain Dondo wrote:

> A long time ago (maybe 10 years?) I heard a CD by an Irish male singer, singing a ballad about
> going riding. In it he talks about the countryside, his legs pumping, etc. It had a driving beat
> and was a great motivator.
>
> I'm trying to find this particualr CD; anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Luka Bloom - "The Acousitc Motorbike" (from the album by the same name)

lyrics: http://home.wish.net/~gelten/lyrics/acoustic_motorbike/the_acoustic_motorbike.html

It seems to be available online.

> Failing that, what do people listen on indoor rides?

A friend of mine who leads spin classes found the song "Breathe," by Telepopmusik (used in one of
those Mitsubishi commercials) to be a real hit in class.

I can only make myself ride indoors for a day or two or three, ... and then it always stops.

I find driving, pulsating Irish Traditional reels and pipes from the likes of the Bothy Band,
Planxty, and others gets my heels spinning on the way home from the "pub" on a warm night.

Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO CycleTourist at http://www.CycleTourist.com attbi.com Tolerance is
recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on
that knowledge.

My spinning instructor has some wonderful irish instrumentals that keep us going.

"Chuck Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Captain Dondo wrote:
>
> > A long time ago (maybe 10 years?) I heard a CD by an Irish male singer, singing a ballad about
> > going riding. In it he talks about the countryside, his legs pumping, etc. It had a driving beat
> > and was a
great
> > motivator.
> >
> > I'm trying to find this particualr CD; anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
>
> Luka Bloom - "The Acousitc Motorbike" (from the album by the same name)
>
> lyrics:

http://home.wish.net/~gelten/lyrics/acoustic_motorbike/the_acoustic_motorbik
e.html

> It seems to be available online.
>
> > Failing that, what do people listen on indoor rides?
>
> A friend of mine who leads spin classes found the song "Breathe," by Telepopmusik (used in one of
> those Mitsubishi commercials) to be a real
hit in
> class.
>
> I can only make myself ride indoors for a day or two or three, ... and
then it
> always stops.
>
> I find driving, pulsating Irish Traditional reels and pipes from the likes
of
> the Bothy Band, Planxty, and others gets my heels spinning on the way home from the "pub" on a
> warm night.

> Chuck Anderson . Boulder, CO CycleTourist at http://www.CycleTourist.com attbi.com Tolerance is
> recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on
> that knowledge.

Hey Capt D, I just e-mailed you offering to send you the mp3 if you wanted it but the message came
back undeliverable. Get back to me if you'd like the song. Make the obvious changes to my e-mail
address deleting false address.

Kraftwerk's "Autobahn" John luc Ponty's "Aurora" Allman's "Elizabeth Reed"

Old stuff but good cycling rhythm and long songs.

BTW, I would not consider this off topic at all. One of the big drawbacks to extended touring
is lack of exposure to music. I get a little weird without music after a while and pack a
walkman along.

I was also wondering if anyone else "keeps a tune in their head" while riding. I find it keeps my
cadence rythmic, if I want to go faster I pick a faster tempo tune out of my mental jukebox.

L8tr PB

Captain Dondo <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> A long time ago (maybe 10 years?) I heard a CD by an Irish male singer, singing a ballad about
> going riding. In it he talks about the countryside, his legs pumping, etc. It had a driving beat
> and was a great motivator.
>
> I'm trying to find this particualr CD; anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Failing that,
> what do people listen on indoor rides?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Dondo

For some reason, I don't have much patience for music when I'm cycling. And I'm a former musician as
well as one of those people who has music playing at home all day long.

When I'm on a long ride, I tend to want to listen to the natural sounds around me -- not to mention
any traffic that might be a potential problem. I can play music through headphones for about two
minutes before I can't take it anymore. If I hang a radio with a speaker on my handlebars, I can
put up with music - or even talk- for a little longer, but it's still not as pleasurable to me as
it is at home.

Go figure.

--
Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "pixelbrainz"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kraftwerk's "Autobahn" John luc Ponty's "Aurora" Allman's "Elizabeth Reed"
>
> Old stuff but good cycling rhythm and long songs.
>
> BTW, I would not consider this off topic at all. One of the big drawbacks to extended touring
> is lack of exposure to music. I get a little weird without music after a while and pack a
> walkman along.
>
> I was also wondering if anyone else "keeps a tune in their head" while riding. I find it keeps my
> cadence rythmic, if I want to go faster I pick
> faster tempo tune out of my mental jukebox.
>
> L8tr PB
>
> Captain Dondo <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > A long time ago (maybe 10 years?) I heard a CD by an Irish male singer, singing a ballad about
> > going riding. In it he talks about the countryside, his legs pumping, etc. It had a driving beat
> > and was a
great
> > motivator.
> >
> > I'm trying to find this particualr CD; anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Failing
> > that, what do people listen on indoor rides?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Dondo

> Failing that, what do people listen on indoor rides?

A related question, also slightly offtopic... What music would one recommend for a cycling
slideshow/video?

I would expect some of the same answers, since I'd look for something with an upbeat tempo and
longer in duration than some short songs.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

Luka Bloom - "The Acoustic Motorbike"

Mike Vermeulen wrote:
>>Failing that, what do people listen on indoor rides?
>

> A related question, also slightly offtopic... What music would one recommend for a cycling
> slideshow/video?
>
> I would expect some of the same answers, since I'd look for something with an upbeat tempo and
> longer in duration than some short songs.
>
> --mev, Mike Vermeulen

I'm into classical music. You could start with the first movement of Mendelssohn's Symphony #4
("Italian") which was used to great effect in the movie "Breaking Away."

My personal favorite, however, for cycling is Beethoven's Symphony #6 in F ("Pastorale"), which is a
musical depiction of a day in the country.

Diana B., LPN Diva Nurse

The JerZ Fox

Money doesn't buy happiness. Poverty doesn't buy anything.

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:40:41 -0700, JerZ Fox wrote:

> I'm into classical music. You could start with the first movement of Mendelssohn's Symphony #4
> ("Italian") which was used to great effect in the movie "Breaking Away."
>
> My personal favorite, however, for cycling is Beethoven's Symphony #6 in F ("Pastorale"), which is
> a musical depiction of a day in the country.

Somewhere in my collection of old records is an album by the Early Music Consort lead by David
Munrow titled Renassance Suite that was the sound track to a cycling movie. The song titles include
subjects such as pain and mountains. Maybe if I can dig this album out it will inspire me to start
my riding this year. Todays weather forcast for Denver is a high of 17.

Richard "I don't ride on ice" Kaiser

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 03:04:39 +0000, Mike Vermeulen wrote:

>> Failing that, what do people listen on indoor rides?
>
> A related question, also slightly offtopic... What music would one recommend for a cycling
> slideshow/video?
>
> I would expect some of the same answers, since I'd look for something with an upbeat tempo and
> longer in duration than some short songs.
>
> --mev, Mike Vermeulen

John Tesh's Tour de France CDs. I'm also toying with some Japanese Kodoo drummers CDs. They run
marathons, and their music would be great if it was used to accentuate sprints. Lately, I've been
tempted to use martial arts movies soundtracks - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon has some great drum
tracks punctuated by grunts. Just what you need to get motivated.
:)

For long hill climbs, I've had a hankering for Jane Child's "Don't let it get to you" or Alanna
Myles first CD. Alanis Morisette first CD is also high on the list as well as Cake.

Lots of music out there; mix and match to your heart's content.

-Dondo