Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Slipping RANS seats (Taboo Topic #2)

Started by Drrecumbnt · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,901 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
7 June 2003
Last activity
11 June 2003
Original author
Drrecumbnt
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,901
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a bit. Has anybody catalogued
    viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant recumbentcyclistnews.comrecumbentcyclistnews.com

  2. The fix I chose from the archives is a radiator hose clamp on the main tube behind the seat clamp
    with a piece of 1/2" clear hose split down the side to wrap around the clamp to keep it away from
    the paint.

    DrRecumbnt said:

    A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a bit. Has anybody
    catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    recumbentcyclistnews.comrecumbentcyclistnews.com

  3. the absolute easiest, works EVERY time fix, take a small thin rubber shim, put it between the seat
    base and top rail, and tighten the skewer normally [modestly tight] i've used this on at LEAST 12
    rans swb bikes with out fail. the orange rubber with small ribs in it that RANS sends with all there
    bikes as packing material is ideal

    DrRecumbnt said:

    A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a bit. Has anybody
    catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    recumbentcyclistnews.comrecumbentcyclistnews.com

  4. Bob, I think RANS will send you a set of shims. I used one on my V2 but didn't need them on my
    V-REX. One shim works in some applications and two in others. Its a trial and error thing. Its part
    of the reason for the glideloc now on their pricier bikes. IME its not a problem with all the old
    style seat slide still in use on the Rocket, Tailwind and Vivo...just some. On my V-REX now departed
    once I found the spot I wanted my seat I replaced the QR with a SS bolt and nylock. It never moved
    again. Not a cure for those that are removing their seat fot transport...for those the SS hoseclamp
    and clear plastic hose trick mentioned in a previous post works good.
    --
    Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports,
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "dan schaper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The fix I chose from the archives is a radiator hose clamp on the main tube behind the seat clamp
    with a piece of 1/2" clear hose split down the side to wrap around the clamp to keep it away from
    the paint.

    DrRecumbnt said:

    A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a


    bit.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Has anybody catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    recumbentcyclistnews.comrecumbentcyclistnews.com

  5. I wish I'd thought to try this.

    I've got a hose clamp in a pice of inner tube behind my seat, and it still moves sometimes.

    Before this, I was trying to clamp the skewer tighter and tighter, and I actually ended up squishing
    the tube on my bike. Don't make that mistake.

    Sj

  6. That is funny you brought this up. I tightened the skewer by hand pressure only and the fat tube
    squished! The pressure I used wasn't unreasonable by any means.

    Now the question is: Is the frame now unsafe? Does the "ovalized" area make the tube weaker? I am
    already [censored] at Rans and think their Taiwan frames suck. Now I am convinced. I had a Rocket when
    they were made in Kansas and I did not flatten the tube with hand pressure.

    The first two VIVO's I received had small BB sized dents in them. Now the tube gives way under hand
    pressure tightening of the seat!

    Any ideas on the frame safety? Anyone from the Church care to comment? Hmmm???

  7. by the way, I had a hose clamp in place too. I hand tightened the skewer and got the bent tube.
    Wonder if Rans frame warranty covers this?

  8. Hi Bob

    Tried it all but a bolt through the frame solved all my problems easy removal locked in setting

    Kirt "DrRecumbnt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a


    bit.

    Quoted message said:

    Has anybody catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    recumbentcyclistnews.comrecumbentcyclistnews.com

  9. "Drill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Bob

    Tried it all but a bolt through the frame solved all my problems easy removal locked in setting

    Kirt "DrRecumbnt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a


    bit.

    Quoted message said:

    Has anybody catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    recumbentcyclistnews.comrecumbentcyclistnews.com

    Hi Bob, The seat on my 2000 Rans V2 also slipped. I set the seat where I wanted it then placed a
    small piece of aluminum behind the bracket on one side. I held the metal in place using two small
    sheet metal screws placed so that they are above the frame in the u shaped seat support. This works
    fine and allows the seat to move forward normally but stops at my postition when slid back. The new
    bracket RANS now uses looks nice but it is expensive, what is worst Rans wants way to much for
    shipping and handling. Happy Trails Butch

  10. I had a hard time stopping laughing long enough to write a resonse to this one. To see the first
    reply to your post: "use a hose clamp" that's a great one!!!!! Seems the Rotator solution wasn't
    so far off after all. Doesn't slip and it's light too. Hard to argue with good results. Steve
    "Speedy" Delaire

    DrRecumbnt said:

    A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a bit. Has anybody
    catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    recumbentcyclistnews.comrecumbentcyclistnews.com

    -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- newsfeeds.comnewsfeeds.com - The #1
    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  11. Call RANS and tell them your seat is slipping. They will send you an aluminum shim that fits in the
    seat channel and corrects the problem.

    John

    "DrRecumbnt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a


    bit.

    Quoted message said:

    Has anybody catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    recumbentcyclistnews.comrecumbentcyclistnews.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.