Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Slow-Speed Injuries Hurt Too

Started by B. Sanders · · Last activity · 31 posts · 2,195 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
24 April 2003
Last activity
29 April 2003
Original author
B. Sanders
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,195
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm just going to say it: Mountain biking is dangerous. I hate falling; but it's usually not too
    bad. I just hop off the bike on sections that I'm not ready for (the ones that say "Danger!
    Extremely Technical Terrain!"😉. Eventually I'll learn them; but at my own pace. I've ridden every
    trail at least 5 or 6 times, but some of them were white-knuckle rides, and I biffed several times.
    Learning to fall is part of this sport, isn't it?

    I've been trying to get my wife to ride some of the technical MTB trails for years. Last year, she
    finally went with me. The trails had more whoop-de-doo's cut into them than in previous years, and
    were much more difficult than I remembered. She did OK, but was petrified and not having any fun at
    all. We were in a pretty easy flat, winding singletrack section in a wooded area and she biffed on a
    root. She fell hard and hit her head (with helmet on, thank goodness). The fall twisted her neck,
    apparently. This happened at about a walking pace; but she was in pain for a week! She thought she
    had a concussion from it. I was worried. There was a little bit of trail rash; but nothing bad.
    Again, this happened on a flat trail at a walking pace.

    I'm Mr. Safety Conscious, and this kinda shook me up. I really didn't expect this. We had dismounted
    and walked all of the trails that were too hard for her - just to make sure that she didn't feel
    intimidated. She has sworn never to return to the trails. That's it - once out, and she's done. I
    can't really blame her. She could give a damn about MTB'ing in the first place (but loves road
    riding). I tried my best to make sure that her bike, clothing, pedals, shoes, etc were trail-worthy
    (they were fine).

    I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a few
    sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
    singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I have
    insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders. I just wish
    they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.

    -Barry

  2. B. Sanders said:


    I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a few
    sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
    singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I
    have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders. I
    just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.

    -Barry

    In all seriousness, riders do what: call you names, point and laugh? One of the beauties of this
    sport is that there isn't a "right" level of difficulty, it's whatever feels appropriate for you.
    Granted as I've ridden more, I WANT to try harder stuff but if I choose to ride doubletrack for the
    rest of my life, it's no body's business but my own.

    Penny

    p.s. sorry about the wife.

  3. "Penny S." <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    B. Sanders said:


    I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a few
    sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
    singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I
    have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders. I
    just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.

    -Barry

    In all seriousness, riders do what: call you names, point and laugh?

    Something like that.

    Quoted message said:

    One of the beauties of this sport is that there isn't a "right" level of difficulty, it's whatever
    feels appropriate for you.

    For guys it may be a little different. I feel a great deal of pressure to "go for it" when I'm with
    groups of testosterone-pumped males on the trails. That's why I avoid those situations almost
    completely and try to ride solo as much as possible (even though it's less safe).

    Quoted message said:

    Granted as I've ridden more, I WANT to try harder stuff but if I choose to ride doubletrack for


    the

    Quoted message said:

    rest of my life, it's no body's business but my own.

    Again, in an ideal world, perhaps. That's *exactly* what I mean about respect: The male riders I
    know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how extreme they are, and
    haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails. It's none of
    their business; but they make it their business. Maybe it's different for women. I hope so.

    Thanks for the reply, Penny. I appreciate your respectful attitude, and wish I could meet people
    like you on the trails.

    -Barry

    PS: My wife still rides with me on the easy singletrack - just not on technical trails.

  4. B. Sanders said:

    "Penny S." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    B. Sanders said:


    I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a few
    sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
    singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I
    have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders. I
    just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.

    -Barry

    In all seriousness, riders do what: call you names, point and laugh?

    Something like that.

    Quoted message said:

    One of the beauties of this sport is that there isn't a "right" level of difficulty, it's
    whatever feels appropriate for you.

    For guys it may be a little different. I feel a great deal of pressure to "go for it" when I'm
    with groups of testosterone-pumped males on the trails. That's why I avoid those situations almost
    completely and try to ride solo as much as possible (even though it's less safe).

    Quoted message said:

    Granted as I've ridden more, I WANT to try harder stuff but if I choose to ride doubletrack for
    the rest of my life, it's no body's business but my own.

    Again, in an ideal world, perhaps. That's *exactly* what I mean about respect: The male riders I
    know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how extreme they are,
    and haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails. It's none
    of their business; but they make it their business. Maybe it's different for women. I hope so.

    Thanks for the reply, Penny. I appreciate your respectful attitude, and wish I could meet people
    like you on the trails.

    -Barry

    PS: My wife still rides with me on the easy singletrack - just not on technical trails.

    harumpph, sounds like you need new riding pals.

    penny

  5. "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:ep_pa.629739$S_4.681233@rwcrnsc53...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Again, in an ideal world, perhaps. That's *exactly* what I mean about


    respect: The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag
    about how extreme they are, and haven't a


    shred

    Quoted message said:

    of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails. It's none of their business;
    but they make it their business. Maybe it's different for women. I hope so.

    I've gone riding with guys who have a lot of attitude. When they start talking smack I always
    just laugh at them and say I'm not trying to impress anyone. Most of the time they don't know
    how to react.

    Gary in VA

  6. Penny S. said:

    harumpph, sounds like you need new riding pals.

    "Hey, I didn't get a harumpph from that guy"

    "Harumpph!"

    "Better."

    If you've ridden a number of years, you get comfortable with the fact that people have different
    skill levels and don't feel the need to belittle others. We all had a point where the obstacles made
    us nervous. Some still make me nervous!

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  7. Stephen Baker said:
    Quoted message said:

    The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how
    extreme they are, and haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most
    difficult trails.

    That sounds like a dictionary definition of "A$$hole". The ones that make the most noise are
    prob-babbly the biggest Barneys of the bunch. Drop 'em, do what you want to do, and don't
    look back.

    If that's the way things truly are then I agree, but I think it may well be different and our friend
    here has gossamer-like skin.

    Firstly, if they're your mates, then you should realise that they're going to give you stick if you
    don't ride stuff. Friends often have a better idea of your strengths anyway, and banter amongst
    friends is par for the course. Friends egging on each other is a very good way of progressing too,
    and people are often surprised by their own abilities. Quite frankly, having someone of a similar
    ability who complained that "it's too hard" every time we got to a technical bit of trail would get
    right on my [censored].

    I think it's a good idea that people are aware of their limits, but what about people who don't even
    get close to their limits and then complain about their friends encouraging them?

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: t-online.deambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: t-online.debmx faq.htm

  8. "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Stephen Baker said:
    Quoted message said:

    The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how
    extreme they are, and haven't a


    shred

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails.

    That sounds like a dictionary definition of "A$$hole". The ones that


    make the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    most noise are prob-babbly the biggest Barneys of the bunch. Drop 'em, do what you want to do,
    and don't look back.

    If that's the way things truly are then I agree, but I think it may well be different and our
    friend here has gossamer-like skin.

    Firstly, if they're your mates, then you should realise that they're going to give you stick if
    you don't ride stuff. Friends often have a better idea of your strengths anyway, and banter
    amongst friends is par for the course. Friends egging on each other is a very good way of
    progressing too, and people are often surprised by their own abilities. Quite frankly, having
    someone of a similar ability who complained that "it's too hard" every time we got to a technical
    bit of trail would get right on my [censored].

    I think it's a good idea that people are aware of their limits, but what about people who don't
    even get close to their limits and then complain about their friends encouraging them?

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: t-online.deambfaq.htm

    a.bmx FAQ: t-online.debmx faq.htm

    I had a mate like that when we were in our early twenties. Had bought himself a Honda CBR600 and
    wouldn't even go near the red line on the rev counter. "Didn't like hearing the engine" is what he
    said. He might as well have bought himself a nifty fifty for all he ever did with it. It was almost
    embarrassing in some funny way, because he was cabable of riding it better (he used to ride his
    Suzuki GN250 harder). We were always waiting for him to catch up. A waste of a bike in some other
    ways... I still can't figure out what the problem was even now.
    --
    Westie

  9. "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<ATXpa.628501$S_4.680653@rwcrnsc53>...

    <Tales of woe snipped>

    First off, get some new riding buddies with mental capacities that would at least match those of a
    16 year old. I've ridden with a lot of different people with skill levels all over the map and
    although some may push me to try new, difficult things harder than others, none have ever
    disrespected me for declining the challenge. That's unacceptable and NOT common.

    It sounds like you both need a little more confidence on technical trails. Usually, we get that
    confidence by rider with people who are better than us and courteous enough show us a thing or two.
    since you don't have those people around you, I would suggest you both take a beginner mountain
    biking class. The local advocacy group in my area (www.nemba.org) hold several, and I've tought a
    few. They cover very basic mountain biking skills like obstacle clearing, downhill riding, and the
    importance of basic balance skills. It usually takes a couple of hours and you'll learn a TON. I
    guarantee you'll feel more confident after a similar class. If your local club doesn't offer this,
    try to find a decent, skilled rider who will go over the basics with you.

    I've seen plenty of people in these classes who were on the verge of quiting the sport after a few
    too many episodes like yours. After learning the basics they looked at mtbing with a lot more
    enthusiasm.

    [email hidden]

  10. (Stephen Baker) said:

    Barry says:

    Quoted message said:

    The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how
    extreme they are, and haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most
    difficult trails.

    That sounds like a dictionary definition of "A$$hole". The ones that make the most noise are
    prob-babbly the biggest Barneys of the bunch. Drop 'em, do what you want to do, and don't
    look back.

    A lot of riders will ride one particular difficult trail almost exclusively and then judge everyone
    else by their ability to ride that particular trail. They become one-trick ponies, and normally get
    dropped like yesterday's newspaper if they ride anywhere else.

    Now where's the fun in that?

    Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles habcycles.comhabcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

  11. "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a
    few sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
    singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I
    have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders.
    I just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.

    -Barry


    One of the beauties of this sport is that there isn't a "right" level of difficulty, it's
    whatever feels appropriate for you.

    For guys it may be a little different. I feel a great deal of pressure to "go for it" when I'm
    with groups of testosterone-pumped males on the trails. That's why I avoid those situations almost
    completely and try to ride solo as much as possible (even though it's less safe).

    I'm not certain that I buy this, I don't recall any group rides where people have pressured me to
    push myself beyond my limits. About the only pressure I do feel is when I am slowing a group up.
    When I have passed on technical sections noone bothers me.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Granted as I've ridden more, I WANT to try harder stuff but if I choose to ride doubletrack for
    the rest of my life, it's no body's business but my own.


    -=(Go Penny ! )=-

    Quoted message said:

    Again, in an ideal world, perhaps. That's *exactly* what I mean about respect: The male riders I
    know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how extreme they are,
    and haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails. It's none
    of their business; but they make it their business. Maybe it's different for women. I hope so.

    Again I just don't get this kind of attitude. Perhaps you are just riding with a bunch of Cool
    Mountain Dewds. Try hooking up with a mountain biking club or ride group in your area rather than
    your normal buds and you will probably see an entirely different attitude.

    The other possibility is as bomba suggested. Perhaps you just aren't pushing your limits. If you
    don't push your limits you will never improve.

    -- The Ogre ogrehut.comogrehut.com

  12. "Tom Walker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<ATXpa.628501$S_4.680653@rwcrnsc53>...

    Quoted message said:


    <Tales of woe snipped>

    First off, get some new riding buddies with mental capacities that would at least match those of a
    16 year old. I've ridden with a lot of different people with skill levels all over the map and
    although some may push me to try new, difficult things harder than others, none have ever
    disrespected me for declining the challenge. That's unacceptable and NOT common.

    Here in Illinois, I think many of the riders use attitude to prove to themselves that they're the
    equal of the hardcore riders they read about in the magazines. This is not mountain country. There
    aren't many trails. These guys haven't been humbled by epic lung-busting climbs and insanely twisty
    super-fast downhills. They're racer boy wannabe's, and they need desperately to pound their chests.

    Knuckledraggers are pathetic; but around here, they are in abundance.

    Quoted message said:

    It sounds like you both need a little more confidence on technical trails.

    That comes with experience, which I hope to get more of.

    Quoted message said:

    Usually, we get that confidence by rider with people who are better than us and courteous enough
    show us a thing or two. since you don't have those people around you, I would suggest you both
    take a beginner mountain biking class. The local advocacy group in my area (www.nemba.org) hold
    several, and I've tought a few. They cover very basic mountain biking skills like obstacle
    clearing, downhill riding, and the importance of basic balance skills. It usually takes a couple
    of hours and you'll learn a TON. I guarantee you'll feel more confident after a similar class. If
    your local club doesn't offer this, try to find a decent, skilled rider who will go over the
    basics with you.

    Thank you for the excellent suggestion. I'm sure it would help a lot. I'm not such a klutz, y'know.
    Good balance, decades of riding experience. I just have very little desire to "go extreme". I have
    nothing to prove, and I wish others would respect that. Sure, I'd like to progress; but not for any
    particular purpose (such as racing).

    Quoted message said:

    I've seen plenty of people in these classes who were on the verge of quiting the sport after a few
    too many episodes like yours. After learning the basics they looked at mtbing with a lot more
    enthusiasm.

    What I need is a respectful peer group. My cycling club friends - who are very respectful and
    helpful - are completely intimidated by offroad biking. They've done it enough to know they'll never
    try it again. "I almost killed myself" and "I fell 5 times and almost broke my collar bone" are the
    kind of comments I get from them.

    I didn't post this to whine. I posted it to offer a new perspective that isn't common on this NG: A
    non-beginner with moderate skills who feels disrespect for not wanting to be "extreme." I'll bet I'm
    not the only guy who has had this experience.

    -Barry

  13. [email hidden] (Tom Walker) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<ATXpa.628501$S_4.680653@rwcrnsc53>...

    <Tales of woe snipped>

    First off, get some new riding buddies with mental capacities that would at least match those of a
    16 year old. I've ridden with a lot of different people with skill levels all over the map and
    although some may push me to try new, difficult things harder than others, none have ever
    disrespected me for declining the challenge. That's unacceptable and NOT common.

    It sounds like you both need a little more confidence on technical trails. Usually, we get that
    confidence by rider with people who are better than us and courteous enough show us a thing or
    two. since you don't have those people around you, I would suggest you both take a beginner
    mountain biking class. The local advocacy group in my area (www.nemba.org) hold several, and I've
    tought a few. They cover very basic mountain biking skills like obstacle clearing, downhill
    riding, and the importance of basic balance skills. It usually takes a couple of hours and you'll
    learn a TON. I guarantee you'll feel more confident after a similar class. If your local club
    doesn't offer this, try to find a decent, skilled rider who will go over the basics with you.

    I've seen plenty of people in these classes who were on the verge of quiting the sport after a few
    too many episodes like yours. After learning the basics they looked at mtbing with a lot more
    enthusiasm.

    Agreed.

    A gentle razzing is no big deal. Laying on the insults and catcalls is just [censored].

    But "MTB-Camp" would be cool. Heck I've learned a ton by watching others ride. I say to myself "that
    didn't look too bad - I'll try
    it." Next thing you know, I'm unconscious and bleeding...ooops, I meant to say, clearing the
    obstacle I thought was insurmountable. But then again, I'm not gonzo, but quite cautious in my
    riding. Too cautious, sometimes. Sometimes you have to "go for it" to clear it. But the guys the
    OP is talking about don't sound like they are looking to encourage skills. 🙁

    Spider

  14. "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<ep_pa.629739$S_4.681233@rwcrnsc53>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Penny S." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    B. Sanders said:


    I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a
    few sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
    singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I
    have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders.
    I just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.

    -Barry


    -Barry

    PS: My wife still rides with me on the easy singletrack - just not on technical trails.

    Buddy, you need to find some new riding pals. The guys you describe, even if only half of what you
    say is true, are jerks. Why don't you recruit your existing friends into the sport, so that your
    friendship will be the focus, not some macho, who's got the biggest unit contest?

    Paladin

  15. "Westie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Stephen Baker said:

    >The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about
    >how extreme they are, and haven't a


    shred

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails.

    That sounds like a dictionary definition of "A$$hole". The ones that


    make the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    most noise are prob-babbly the biggest Barneys of the bunch. Drop 'em, do what you want to do,
    and don't look back.

    If that's the way things truly are then I agree, but I think it may well be different and our
    friend here has gossamer-like skin.

    Meaning what, exactly?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Firstly, if they're your mates, then you should realise that they're going to give you stick if
    you don't ride stuff. Friends often have a better idea of your strengths anyway, and banter
    amongst friends is par for the course. Friends egging on each other is a very good way of
    progressing too, and people are often surprised by their own abilities.

    I agree. Respectful banter can be good. Teaching skills to your friends is even better (much
    better). Maybe if I was 19 instead of 41, I'd have more tolerance for that kind of pushiness. Maybe
    I'd have more of an invincibility syndrome that would allow me to "go for it." Things change as you
    age. (Anybody here over 30?)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Quite frankly, having someone of a similar ability who complained that "it's too hard" every
    time we got to a technical bit of trail would get right on my [censored].

    Ok, fair enough. Why do you ride with other people if they get on your nerves?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think it's a good idea that people are aware of their limits, but what about people who don't
    even get close to their limits and then complain about their friends encouraging them?

    What about them? They like companionship; but don't like to be pushed. Is that wrong? It's difficult
    to find male friends who aren't pushy and competitive, often to recklessness. That's exactly what
    I'm trying to say.

    Quoted message said:

    I had a mate like that when we were in our early twenties. Had bought himself a Honda CBR600 and
    wouldn't even go near the red line on the rev counter. "Didn't like hearing the engine" is what he
    said. He might as well have bought himself a nifty fifty for all he ever did with it.

    That's his choice, and you should respect that.

    Quoted message said:

    It was almost embarrassing in some funny way, because he was cabable of riding it better (he used
    to ride his Suzuki GN250 harder). We were always waiting for him to catch up. A waste of a bike in
    some other ways... I still


    can't

    Quoted message said:

    figure out what the problem was even now.

    And so for you, life is a race, is that right? If you're not racing, then you're not having fun?
    "Pushing it harder" isn't the ultimate life goal for many people (even though that ethos is very
    popular nowadays, according to the media.)

    You and I are from different planets. I respect your views and skills; but do not share them.

    -Barry

  16. "Paladin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<ep_pa.629739$S_4.681233@rwcrnsc53>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Penny S." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    B. Sanders wrote:
    >
    > I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a
    > few sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings;
    > cliff-edge singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I
    > don't care. I have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more
    > skilled riders. I just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.
    >
    > -Barry

    -Barry

    PS: My wife still rides with me on the easy singletrack - just not on technical trails.

    Buddy, you need to find some new riding pals. The guys you describe, even if only half of what you
    say is true, are jerks. Why don't you recruit your existing friends into the sport, so that your
    friendship will be the focus, not some macho, who's got the biggest unit contest?

    Great advice, Palidin.

    Thanks to everybody who replied. I'm encouraged by all of your supportive responses.

    -Barry

  17. B. Sanders said:

    I agree. Respectful banter can be good. Teaching skills to your friends is even better (much
    better). Maybe if I was 19 instead of 41, I'd have more tolerance for that kind of pushiness.
    Maybe I'd have more of an invincibility syndrome that would allow me to "go for
    it." Things change as you age. (Anybody here over 30?)

    most of us I think.

    penny

  18. "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how
    extreme they are, and haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most
    difficult trails. It's none of their business; but they make it their business.

    Jeez. Just quit riding with Fagerlin...

    CC

  19. "Spider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Tom Walker) wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<ATXpa.628501$S_4.680653@rwcrnsc53>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    <Tales of woe snipped>

    First off, get some new riding buddies with mental capacities that would at least match those of
    a 16 year old. I've ridden with a lot of different people with skill levels all over the map and
    although some may push me to try new, difficult things harder than others, none have ever
    disrespected me for declining the challenge. That's unacceptable and NOT common.

    It sounds like you both need a little more confidence on technical trails. Usually, we get that
    confidence by rider with people who are better than us and courteous enough show us a thing or
    two. since you don't have those people around you, I would suggest you both take a beginner
    mountain biking class. The local advocacy group in my area (www.nemba.org) hold several, and
    I've tought a few. They cover very basic mountain biking skills like obstacle clearing,
    downhill riding, and the importance of basic balance skills. It usually takes a couple of hours
    and you'll learn a TON. I guarantee you'll feel more confident after a similar class. If your
    local club doesn't offer this, try to find a decent, skilled rider who will go over the basics
    with you.

    I've seen plenty of people in these classes who were on the verge of quiting the sport after a
    few too many episodes like yours. After learning the basics they looked at mtbing with a lot
    more enthusiasm.

    Agreed.

    A gentle razzing is no big deal. Laying on the insults and catcalls is just [censored].

    But "MTB-Camp" would be cool. Heck I've learned a ton by watching others ride. I say to myself
    "that didn't look too bad - I'll try
    it." Next thing you know, I'm unconscious and bleeding...ooops, I meant to say, clearing the
    obstacle I thought was insurmountable. But then again, I'm not gonzo, but quite cautious in my
    riding. Too cautious, sometimes. Sometimes you have to "go for it" to clear it. But the guys
    the OP is talking about don't sound like they are looking to encourage skills. 🙁

    Spider

    Yeah, a camp'd be cool. I think that I'd really enjoy going over some of the "basics" and some of
    the "no so basics" I've enquired in the past and there isn't too much around my area unfortunately.
    --
    Westie

  20. "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:tGeqa.343288$OV.370895@rwcrnsc54...

    Quoted message said:

    "Westie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Stephen Baker wrote:

    >>The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about
    >>how extreme they are, and haven't


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    shred

    Quoted message said:

    >>of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails.
    >
    >
    > That sounds like a dictionary definition of "A$$hole". The ones


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    make the

    Quoted message said:

    > most noise are prob-babbly the biggest Barneys of the bunch. Drop 'em, do what you want to
    > do, and don't look back.

    If that's the way things truly are then I agree, but I think it may


    well

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be different and our friend here has gossamer-like skin.

    Meaning what, exactly?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Firstly, if they're your mates, then you should realise that they're going to give you stick
    if you don't ride stuff. Friends often have a better idea of your strengths anyway, and banter
    amongst friends is


    par

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for the course. Friends egging on each other is a very good way of progressing too, and people
    are often surprised by their own


    abilities.

    Quoted message said:


    I agree. Respectful banter can be good. Teaching skills to your friends


    is

    Quoted message said:

    even better (much better). Maybe if I was 19 instead of 41, I'd have more tolerance for that kind
    of pushiness. Maybe I'd have more of an invincibility syndrome that would allow me to "go for it."
    Things change


    as

    Quoted message said:

    you age. (Anybody here over 30?)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Quite frankly, having someone of a similar ability who complained


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "it's too hard" every time we got to a technical bit of trail would


    get

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    right on my [censored].

    Ok, fair enough. Why do you ride with other people if they get on your nerves?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think it's a good idea that people are aware of their limits, but


    what

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    about people who don't even get close to their limits and then


    complain

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    about their friends encouraging them?

    What about them? They like companionship; but don't like to be pushed.


    Is

    Quoted message said:

    that wrong? It's difficult to find male friends who aren't pushy and competitive, often to
    recklessness. That's exactly what I'm trying to


    say.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I had a mate like that when we were in our early twenties. Had bought himself a Honda CBR600 and
    wouldn't even go near the red line on the rev counter. "Didn't like hearing the engine" is what
    he said. He might as well have bought himself a nifty fifty for all he ever did with it.

    That's his choice, and you should respect that.

    And while I never really understood it, Yes, I did respect it. You will notice that later in
    the post I mention that we always had to wait for him, but not once did we not invite him
    because of that...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It was almost embarrassing in some funny way, because he was cabable of riding


    it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    better (he used to ride his Suzuki GN250 harder). We were always


    waiting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for him to catch up. A waste of a bike in some other ways... I still


    can't

    Quoted message said:

    figure out what the problem was even now.

    And so for you, life is a race, is that right? If you're not racing, then you're not having fun?
    "Pushing it harder" isn't the ultimate life goal


    for

    Quoted message said:

    many people (even though that ethos is very popular nowadays, according to the media.)

    I don't particularly push the boundaries on my bike/s either - be they motor or mountain bikes -
    never have. Life a race? I don't consider myself highly competitive and never have. But having said
    that, if my friends didn't push me sometimes, and if I didn't push myself, then I might as well just
    pack up and go home because mountainbiking is just _too_ hard for lil' ol' me.

    I'll give a friend a push and a ribbing if needed ( isn't that one of the things friends are for?)
    but I would never push someone beyond their skill level just to prove something. And if they don't
    appreciate the pushing after a couple of times, you, as a friend, learn to lay off it. One should,
    equally, be able to take some pushing. There are levels of abuse and I'm not sure that your friends
    are being insensitive. You shouldn't be surprised if your friends push you to take risks. It's a
    risky sport. Just getting on a bike is dangerous for some (when was the last time you fell off on
    the way home from the Pub, Shaun?). Likewise, if you're a boxer don't complain if people are
    surprised when you refuse to take _any_ punches. Tell your friends to lay off and leave you to ride
    the way you want to. You can always go for help when they break their necks.
    --
    Westie

    Quoted message said:

    You and I are from different planets. I respect your views and skills; but do not share them.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.