Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Small climbs make for some good air.

Started by Tj · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,491 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
29 January 2003
Last activity
29 January 2003
Original author
Tj
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,491
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Last spring I rented some equipment to build some dirt jumps for my kids. The last few days I have
    been going out on my 24" Single speed ( If you know what I mean). I finaly got the balls to try the
    gap that I made ( about 10 ft). I made it. Again and again. I worked this afternoon building up the
    existing jumps, and making some improvements. Watered, and Packed ready to jump tommorow.

    TJ

  2. "TJ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Last spring I rented some equipment to build some dirt jumps for my kids. The last few days I have
    been going out on my 24" Single speed ( If you


    know

    Quoted message said:

    what I mean). I finaly got the balls to try the gap that I made ( about


    10

    Quoted message said:

    ft). I made it. Again and again. I worked this afternoon building up the existing jumps, and
    making some improvements. Watered, and Packed ready to jump tommorow.

    Pics!

  3. TJ wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    Last spring I rented some equipment to build some dirt jumps for my kids.

    You rented a spade?

    Quoted message said:

    The last few days I have been going out on my 24" Single speed ( If you


    know

    Quoted message said:

    what I mean).

    Yep, I get the idea, although I prefer a 20" singlespeed myself.

    I finaly got the balls to try the gap that I made ( about 10

    Quoted message said:

    ft). I made it. Again and again.

    Definitely the best part of dirt jumping, trying out a new jump that you have crafted yourself and
    not knowing whether the lip will kick you wild or send you smooth.

    Quoted message said:

    I worked this afternoon building up the existing jumps, and making some improvements. Watered,
    and Packed ready to jump tommorow.

    TJ

    Great. There's a lot of sweat involved in maintaining a set of trails, but it definitely has
    its rewards.

    Steve E.

  4. spademan o---)* said:
    Quoted message said:

    Last spring I rented some equipment to build some dirt jumps for my kids.

    You rented a spade?

    LOL

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The last few days I have been going out on my 24" Single speed ( If you

    know

    Quoted message said:

    what I mean).

    Yep, I get the idea, although I prefer a 20" singlespeed myself.

    Same here. Mine's fully rigid too, BTW.

    Quoted message said:


    I finaly got the balls to try the gap that I made ( about 10

    Quoted message said:

    ft). I made it. Again and again.

    Definitely the best part of dirt jumping, trying out a new jump that you have crafted yourself and
    not knowing whether the lip will kick you wild or send you smooth.

    Experience will help determine this. And if you're still not sure, there's bound to be some pikey
    kid on a pig bike that will do it for a cigarette.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I worked this afternoon building up the existing jumps, and making some improvements. Watered,
    and Packed ready to jump tommorow.

    Great. There's a lot of sweat involved in maintaining a set of trails, but it definitely has its
    rewards.

    Haven't ridden trails in over 3 1/2 years... 🙁

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: t-online.deambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: t-online.debmx faq.htm

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Definitely the best part of dirt jumping, trying out a new jump that you have crafted yourself
    and not knowing whether the lip will kick you wild


    or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    send you smooth.

    Experience will help determine this.

    You'd think so wouldn't you? but no matter how many times you roll up the take-off and feel the
    transition with the back of a spade, you just can't really tell until you hit it. I think there is
    some variance in the way a take-off reacts when you hit it fast, maybe a spot in the middle feels
    smooth but is a bit wet underneath and compresses when you hit it.

    Quoted message said:

    And if you're still not sure, there's bound to be some pikey kid on a pig bike that will do it for
    a cigarette.

    Give some pikey kid the honour of being the first one to jump a new jump? well only if you've got a
    camera handy ;-)

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I worked this afternoon building up the existing jumps, and making some improvements. Watered,
    and Packed ready to jump tommorow.

    Great. There's a lot of sweat involved in maintaining a set of trails,


    but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it definitely has its rewards.

    Haven't ridden trails in over 3 1/2 years... 🙁

    Sounds like you'll have to stop by next time you're errm just passing by Southport.

  6. bomba <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    spademan o---)* said:
    Quoted message said:

    Last spring I rented some equipment to build some dirt jumps for my


    kids.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You rented a spade?

    LOL

    Heheheheh - 'AOL', heheheh....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The last few days I have been going out on my 24" Single speed ( If you

    know

    Quoted message said:

    what I mean).

    Yep, I get the idea, although I prefer a 20" singlespeed myself.

    Same here. Mine's fully rigid too, BTW.

    You get that excited over them?

    Shaun aRe

  7. spademan o---)* said:
    Quoted message said:

    And if you're still not sure, there's bound to be some pikey kid on a pig bike that will do it for
    a cigarette.

    Give some pikey kid the honour of being the first one to jump a new jump?

    Not really - it was just the thought of using them as 'test pilots' that amused me.

    Quoted message said:

    well only if you've got a camera handy ;-)

    My brother's got this fantastic bit of video at home of a kid who could barely see over the bars
    going for it over these doubles after we'd egged him on. He looped out, ghostied the bike and
    back-flipped in to the backside of the downslope, head first. Brilliant.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Haven't ridden trails in over 3 1/2 years... 🙁

    Sounds like you'll have to stop by next time you're errm just passing by Southport.

    Southport? Well why didn't you say? I often pass there on my way home from work in the evenings...

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: t-online.deambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: t-online.debmx faq.htm

  8. LOL, Yeah I rented a spade. It had 4 wheels @ $175/day, and some hydralics to go with it though. I
    like to call the hand held spades " Manual Excavators"

    TJ

    "spademan o---[)*" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    TJ wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    Last spring I rented some equipment to build some dirt jumps for my kids.

    You rented a spade?

    Quoted message said:

    The last few days I have been going out on my 24" Single speed ( If you


    know

    Quoted message said:

    what I mean).

    Yep, I get the idea, although I prefer a 20" singlespeed myself.

    I finaly got the balls to try the gap that I made ( about 10

    Quoted message said:

    ft). I made it. Again and again.

    Definitely the best part of dirt jumping, trying out a new jump that you have crafted yourself and
    not knowing whether the lip will kick you wild


    or

    Quoted message said:

    send you smooth.

    Quoted message said:

    I worked this afternoon building up the existing jumps, and making


    some

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    improvements. Watered, and Packed ready to jump tommorow.

    TJ

    Great. There's a lot of sweat involved in maintaining a set of trails, but it definitely has its
    rewards.

    Steve E.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.