Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Small lange vs. large flange hubs

Started by Bob · · Last activity · 18 posts · 3,245 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 August 2005
Last activity
11 August 2005
Original author
Bob
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,245
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OK... fill me on philosophy on this. Back in the good old days, we
    all rode large flange. The theory I always heard was that large
    flange had shorter spokes and therefore resulted in a stiffer wheel.
    Supposedly that was a good thing. Now though we have small flange
    and low spoke counts - which would result in a comparatively
    flexible wheel, I would think.

    Comments? How come no one wants high flange anymore ?

    Bob

  2. You are overlooking the rims. Todays rims are heat treated, heavier,
    mostly aero shaped. All make the rims & wheels stiffer. The older
    rims were soft and needed more spokes to support them. So are todays
    wheels any better? I'd say not really. The main result is fewer and
    way tigher spokes. I'm fixing as many broken spokes as before. Plus
    now you have these designer wheels that require special spokes or tools
    that you may have to wait to be ordered in before your wheel gets fixed.

  3. Bob said:

    Now though we have small flange and low spoke counts -
    which would result in a comparatively flexible wheel, I would think.

    Not a bad thing. 😄

    Quoted message said:


    Comments? How come no one wants high flange anymore ?

    You still see them on fixies.

    I doubt it really makes a difference either way, and it's just fashion
    (for the most part), but I predict being corrected within 20 minutes...

    :P

  4. Bob said:

    OK... fill me on philosophy on this. Back in the good old days, we
    all rode large flange...

    ....and wore bell bottoms.

    I predict that bell bottoms and large flange hubs will both come back
    into fashion simultaneously, probably within the next ten years.

    Sheldon "Slave Of Fashion" Brown
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    +-----------------------------------+
    | Fashion exists for those people |
    | who have no style of their own. |
    | --John Moore |
    +-----------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  5. On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:46:51 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Bob said:

    OK... fill me on philosophy on this. Back in the good old days, we
    all rode large flange...

    ...and wore bell bottoms.

    I predict that bell bottoms and large flange hubs will both come back
    into fashion simultaneously, probably within the next ten years.

    Sheldon "Slave Of Fashion" Brown

    The bell bottoms are already here.

    Damn we're old.

    Ron

    Quoted message said:

    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    +-----------------------------------+
    | Fashion exists for those people |
    | who have no style of their own. |
    | --John Moore |
    +-----------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  6. Bob said:

    OK... fill me on philosophy on this. Back in the good old days, we
    all rode large flange. The theory I always heard was that large
    flange had shorter spokes and therefore resulted in a stiffer wheel.
    Supposedly that was a good thing. Now though we have small flange
    and low spoke counts - which would result in a comparatively
    flexible wheel, I would think.

    Comments? How come no one wants high flange anymore ?

    Bob

    Dear Bob,

    "Common large-flange hubs spoked tangentially are about
    twice as stiff torsionally as common low-flange hubs. Such
    low flange hubs require about twenty meter-kilograms (mkg)
    per degree of hub wind-up. This means that the average
    rider, using a two-to-one chain ration and 170 mm cranks,
    would have ot press on the pedals with 250kg to wind-up a
    small-flange hube one degree, or about 520kg (more than half
    a ton) for a large-flange hub."

    "It is evident from this comparison that small-flange hubs
    prodve adequate torsional strength and stiffness. There is
    no need to use large-flange hubs for greater torsional
    stiffness, but their reduction of torque-induced spoke loads
    might improve fatigue life slightly. However, with larger
    flanges the spoke angle at the rim becomes less
    perpendicular causing spokes to bend at the nipple. This
    bend increases failures at the threads and probably cancels
    any gains from reduced torque loads. To avoid this problem,
    large-flange hubs are often spoked in a less than fully
    tangential pattern."

    "The Bicycle Wheel", 2nd edition, Jobst Brandt, p.64-5

    " . . . using large flange hubs provides no functional
    advantage and has the disadvantage of adding weight."

    "Tandem bicycles are an exception. With 36 spokes or less,
    tandem wheels require large-flange hubs to withstand the
    torque of two riders. And to support the additional weight,
    durable tandem wheels require at least 48 spokes, which can
    only be accomodated by larger flanges."

    --p.64

    Carl Fogel

  7. On 8/9/2005 11:50 AM said:

    You are overlooking the rims. Todays rims are heat treated, heavier,
    mostly aero shaped. All make the rims & wheels stiffer. The older
    rims were soft and needed more spokes to support them. So are todays
    wheels any better? I'd say not really. The main result is fewer and
    way tigher spokes. I'm fixing as many broken spokes as before. Plus
    now you have these designer wheels that require special spokes or tools
    that you may have to wait to be ordered in before your wheel gets fixed.

    Yeah, hey -- what's up with that? My wife entered into her very first
    triathlon last month (came in dead last but for a 52 year-old
    grandmother, she did pretty good). As the household handyman and
    resident bike mechanic guy I gave her Specialized road bike (an Allez
    Vita with Alexrims AT400 wheels, some kinda fancy black spokes) a good
    going over. I went to do a smidge of wheel truing . . . and those
    nipples were darn tight. The spoke wanted to turn with them. I applied a
    bit of force, but the threads never slipped on the spokes. So I stopped
    and reconsidered doing any truing at that time. I reckoned I'd ask
    around at a later date. This is a later date, and hoping not to hijack
    this thread . . . what's the scoop on working on these tight spokes?

    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
    71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
    84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana"😉
    KG6RCR

  8. Bob said:

    OK... fill me on philosophy on this. Back in the good old days, we
    all rode large flange. The theory I always heard was that large
    flange had shorter spokes and therefore resulted in a stiffer wheel.
    Supposedly that was a good thing. Now though we have small flange
    and low spoke counts - which would result in a comparatively
    flexible wheel, I would think.

    Comments? How come no one wants high flange anymore ?

    Bob


    More torsional stiffness and more lateral stiffness are results of using larger diameter hub flanges (with Flange width spacing held constant). If you need/want them, then larger diameter hub flanges are useful.
    Look what most track and single speed riders are using.
    I like the feel of a laterally stiff wheel when I am riding a fully loaded touring bicycle with front paniers.
    David Ornee - Western Springs, IL

  9. Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott said:

    what's the scoop on
    working on these tight spokes?

    Lube the nipples before attempting to true. I use whatever penetrating
    lube I've got handy. Let sit for a minute or two to do its thing. Voila.

  10. Michael Elliott said:

    Yeah, hey -- what's up with that? My wife entered into her very
    first triathlon last month (came in dead last but for a 52 year-old
    grandmother, she did pretty good). As the household handyman and
    resident bike mechanic guy I gave her Specialized road bike (an
    Allez Vita with Alexrims AT400 wheels, some kinda fancy black
    spokes) a good going over. I went to do a smidge of wheel truing
    ... and those nipples were darn tight. The spoke wanted to turn
    with them. I applied a bit of force, but the threads never slipped
    on the spokes. So I stopped and reconsidered doing any truing at
    that time. I reckoned I'd ask around at a later date. This is a
    later date, and hoping not to hijack this thread ... what's the
    scoop on working on these tight spokes?

    30W motor oil is a good start. Put a drop on every spoke nipple where
    it protrudes from the rim. You can feel it act if you rotate the
    spoke nipple back and forth a small amount. It will suddenly turn
    easily. Second, put a drop of oil on each spoke nipple where the
    spoke enters. This will suck into the threads by capillary action and
    allow turning the thread under load.

    If at first a lubricated spoke nipple does not turn on the spoke
    thread, pull the rim toward the side from which the spoke approaches
    the rim (this slackens the spoke) and try twisting it fore and aft.

    Finally, stay away from these wheels, they don't make a hill of beans
    difference except for psychosomatics for less than >25mph time
    trialers... but they cost an arm and a leg and are constant
    maintenance mongers. If you break a spoke on the road, have a cell
    phone! You're nor going to ride that wheel home as you would a 36
    spoke wheel.

    Jobst Brandt

  11. Sheldon Brown said:
    Bob said:

    OK... fill me on philosophy on this. Back in the good old days, we
    all rode large flange...

    ...and wore bell bottoms.

    I predict that bell bottoms and large flange hubs will both come back
    into fashion simultaneously, probably within the next ten years.

    Sheldon "Slave" Brown

    High-flange hubs have come back on many hubs meant for disc brakes,
    such as: http://www.whiteind.com/rx-hubset.htm . I'd still like to find
    a set of the Shimano 600EX high-flange cassette hubs as seen here:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/24.html
    but only because I'm a weird bike parts freak.

    Jeff "But not bell bottoms- that's super-freaky." Wills

  12. On 8/9/2005 8:39 PM maxo said:
    Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott said:

    what's the scoop on
    working on these tight spokes?

    Lube the nipples before attempting to true. I use whatever penetrating
    lube I've got handy. Let sit for a minute or two to do its thing. Voila.

    Maxo and Jobst, thanks.

    One other question: are nipples coming in in exciting new sizes? It
    seems that neither my black nor my green spoke wrench is a real good fit
    for the nipples on her bike.

    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
    71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
    84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana"😉
    KG6RCR

  13. shimano hubs tend to maintain the same hub diameters-most shim hubs, i
    write most caws i'm not LBS, are poured from the same mold then
    machined differently.
    so if you have hub#1 and it wears out, and hub #2 is on sale or at the
    market then spokes for #1 will go on #2!!
    this cuts down on recaps for the molars

  14. On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:03:07 -0700, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel
    Elliott" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    One other question: are nipples coming in in exciting new sizes? It
    seems that neither my black nor my green spoke wrench is a real good fit
    for the nipples on her bike.

    Dear Mike,

    Spokes come in at least four colors--er, sizes:

    SW-0 (Black handle) 3.22mm /80 ga./.127 nipple
    SW-1 (Green handle) 3.3mm /80 ga./.130 nipple
    SW-2 (Red handle) 3.45mm /80 ga./.136 nipple
    SW-3 (Blue handle) 3.96mm /105 ga./.156 nipple

    http://www.parktool.com/tools/SW_1.shtml

    Carl Fogel

  15. try linseed oil on the spoke threads. durable. rustproofing. water
    resistant possibbble
    proof and gives some twists out resistance not much but some whereas
    oil....

  16. Mike Elliott said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    what's the scoop on working on these tight spokes?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Lube the nipples before attempting to true. I use whatever
    penetrating lube I've got handy. Let sit for a minute or two to do
    its thing. Voila.

    Quoted message said:

    Maxo and Jobst, thanks.

    Quoted message said:

    One other question: are nipples coming in in exciting new sizes? It
    seems that neither my black nor my green spoke wrench is a real good
    fit for the nipples on her bike.

    I guess I don't get enough "new" wheels, but my VAR steel slot jawed
    spoke wrench fits closely and can twist off any spoke you like (when
    tight enough). The wheels that I work on are not 16-spokes or Kevlar
    spoked. The reason for spoke wrenches with four corners is that the
    guys who make them never noticed that when they rounded spoke nipples
    it was because they weren't lubricated... so more force to the rescue!

    Slot jawed spoke wrenches have sufficed for years but then no one
    seems to be passing along the tricks of the trade and those in the
    business don't seem to read, there, where this information is
    available.

    Jobst Brandt

  17. On 8/10/2005 10:18 AM said:

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:03:07 -0700, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel
    Elliott" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    One other question: are nipples coming in in exciting new sizes? It
    seems that neither my black nor my green spoke wrench is a real good fit
    for the nipples on her bike.

    Dear Mike,

    Spokes come in at least four colors--er, sizes:

    SW-0 (Black handle) 3.22mm /80 ga./.127 nipple
    SW-1 (Green handle) 3.3mm /80 ga./.130 nipple
    SW-2 (Red handle) 3.45mm /80 ga./.136 nipple
    SW-3 (Blue handle) 3.96mm /105 ga./.156 nipple

    Er . . . I meant neither my green nor my RED tool liked these nipples
    very much. They mike at .135'', so that makes them "red flavored." I
    reckon it was the softness of the nipple combined with the amazing
    tightness of the spokes that gives me the feeling that I am going to
    round the nipple.

    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
    71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
    84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana"😉
    KG6RCR

  18. "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Lube the nipples before attempting...

    Always a good idea 🙂

    Lee

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.