Smaller chainrings on Ultegra crank set

Javier

Guest
Is it possible to get smaller chain rings for a 10 speed Ultegra crank
set? One of the climbs in my area is about 8 miles long with grades
that range from 8%-14%. My 53/39 with a 12-27 works really well on
most climbs, but when things get steep and my cadence drops below 65
rpm my knees tend to bother me. Considering the fact that my bike
isn't a year old yet it's a bit hard to part with my 53/39 Ultegra.
Besides right now I can't layout the cash for a new set of cranks.

On 30 Apr 2007 18:32:22 -0700, Javier <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is it possible to get smaller chain rings for a 10 speed Ultegra crank
>set? One of the climbs in my area is about 8 miles long with grades
>that range from 8%-14%. My 53/39 with a 12-27 works really well on
>most climbs, but when things get steep and my cadence drops below 65
>rpm my knees tend to bother me. Considering the fact that my bike
>isn't a year old yet it's a bit hard to part with my 53/39 Ultegra.
>Besides right now I can't layout the cash for a new set of cranks.

I think you can put a 38-tooth ring on, but the difference is so small
as to probably not be worth the trouble until your current inner ring
wears out.

--
JT
****************************

On Apr 30, 9:32 pm, Javier <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is it possible to get smaller chain rings for a 10 speed Ultegra crank
> set? One of the climbs in my area is about 8 miles long with grades
> that range from 8%-14%. My 53/39 with a 12-27 works really well on
> most climbs, but when things get steep and my cadence drops below 65
> rpm my knees tend to bother me. Considering the fact that my bike
> isn't a year old yet it's a bit hard to part with my 53/39 Ultegra.
> Besides right now I can't layout the cash for a new set of cranks.

Hi there.

As far as I know you can not get much smaller than 39 teeth on that
crank.

However there are a couple of options that are inexpensive.

Option one is looking to see if there is a bicycle recycling facility
in your area and then looking through their parts for a compact crank
(34 - 50) that some one has disposed of. Some times there are some
very good quality parts in these places including, frames or even
complete bicycles.

Option two is perhaps picking up a used compact crank at your local
bike shop.

Cheers from Peter

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

> Option one is looking to see if there is a bicycle recycling facility
> in your area and then looking through their parts for a compact crank
> (34 - 50) that some one has disposed of. Some times there are some
> very good quality parts in these places including, frames or even
> complete bicycles.
>
> Option two is perhaps picking up a used compact crank at your local
> bike shop.
>
> Cheers from Peter

The likelyhood is that there won't be a compcat crank at the recycling
place-too new. But there will be nice mountain triples an you don't
have to use the inner 74mm ringf. Viola! a compact double.
Phil Brown