General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Smoked Ham Hocks

Started by Levelwave© · · Last activity · 42 posts · 5,651 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 April 2004
Last activity
19 April 2004
Original author
Levelwave©
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,651
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–42 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Levelwave© said:
    jmcquown said:

    Well there ya' go! You have things to learn and people
    here to teach you 🙂 So welcome to the wonderful world of
    smoked ham hocks and Southern cooking.

    Well I 'ain't' no spring chicken either <g>

    Oh you silly! To be 25 again. But of course you're not a
    spring chicken... at your age I'd been married and
    divorced ROFL

    ... I could prolly teach a

    Quoted message said:

    thing or two about the wonderful world of Souther Cooking
    to a few people here... I used to sling veggies at an old
    country southern foods restaurant when I was 18 or so...
    I'm talkin' real country cookin' - The whole kitchen staff
    (besides the platers [me]) was made up of old ladies; not
    one a year less than 60 who slaved away all day over hot
    stoves cookin' fried okra, yams, hominy and the like...
    There was a whole morning staff devoted to peelin'
    potatoes, slicing okra, breading the chicken etc... And
    one granny whose sole purpose was to make pies around the
    clock... Of course I was too busy catching a buzz out back
    with the dishwasher to jot down the recipes... The owner
    would send us out in the evenings to burn empty produce
    boxes behind the barn ... We burned down alright <G>...
    sigh... those were the good 'ol days...

    ~john

    (laugh) You definitely missed your calling... could have
    been a cook at a commune in the 1960's.

    Anyway, glad you enjoyed the smoked hocks with the beans.
    Keep up the good work.

    Jill

  2. 'State wrote:\n>\n> Any ideas on what to do or how to serve blueberry filled\n> perogies? Package just suggests boiling them? I was hoping\n> for a crunchy texture, could I toast them in the oven?\n> would they crisp?\n\nThat depends on whether they have already been boiled or\nnot. If they are totally uncooked (raw) then you have to\nboil them first. Some people then eat them with butter and\nonions (if they are potato or some other savory filling) or\nfor the fruit ones I guess just butter and maybe some sour\ncream. Now if they are already cooked (normally boiled) then\nyou can just thaw them and pan fry them in butter or re-boil\nthem to heat them.\n\nI\'m not sure how you would do them in the oven. I would\nthink that if you just put them on a greased cookie sheet\nand bake them till they brown that the dough would get too\nhard and tough. For a crispy exterior I would recommend\nfrying them in butter.\n\nKate\n--\nKate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead\nalready.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,\nUntil you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey\nreally *is* what it\'s all about? "][email hidden]\"]"][email hidden][/url][/url]'

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.