Snacks on the bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scotty

Gday all,

maybe the vast knowledge here can give me some ideas! Last year I did the London - Brighton and
stopped to eat a bit,(actually a bit of cake, a bit of a sausage sandwich.... etc...) but this year
I would like to pretty much with only maybe one or two stops for water and snack on stuff on the
way. I've heard its better on the stomach and better overall.

What are the things you guys and girls eat? Is commercial stuff worth what you pay for it? Last year
I tried some sort of power bar thing at the top of Ditchling Beacon and it was pretty foul... Is
there good stuff you can make at home?

all the best

Scotty

PS - it took myself and a freind 7 hours 20 minutes to get down there last year. I hope to improve
on this as I actually have my own bike this year, and have been training (thats also to do with a
medical condition too..but wont go into that in detail!)

Some swear by fruit, usually bananas. Supermarket cereal bars are little different from some of the
stuff sold as "sports" nosh, and are lots cheaper. Power Bars are the work of Stan.

One year, it took me eight hours to reach Brighton, though this did include a diversion to the pub
in Plumpton Green. The return trip - straight up the A23 - took four hours from Madiera Drive to
South Ken.

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/ Choc-Chip Tracker Bar Addict
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

I wouldn't go for anything complicated- bananas are awesome, keep you going for hours, as will
a mars bar.

--
-- Chris

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Some swear by fruit, usually bananas. Supermarket cereal bars are little different from some of
> the stuff sold as "sports" nosh, and are lots cheaper. Power Bars are the work of Stan.
>
> One year, it took me eight hours to reach Brighton, though this did
include
> a diversion to the pub in Plumpton Green. The return trip - straight up
the
> A23 - took four hours from Madiera Drive to South Ken.
>
> Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/ Choc-Chip Tracker Bar Addict
> ===========================================================
> Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
> ===========================================================

Chris Fryer wrote:
> I wouldn't go for anything complicated- bananas are awesome, keep you going for hours, as will a
> mars bar.

I got some rather nice French fruit bars from Decathlon the other day. If it was a bit nearer to
where I live I might buy them more frequently.

-- Jim Price

When my wife did the Paris-Brest, back in '75, there weren't any powerbars, so she put an entire
roasted chicken into her handlebar bag, picked on it as she rode...

Sheldon "Too Messy For Me" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
| Check out my wife's tale of her experience |
| in the 1975 Paris-Brest-Paris at: |
| http://harrietfell.com/PBP1975.html |
+----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> When my wife did the Paris-Brest, back in '75, there weren't any powerbars, so she put an entire
> roasted chicken into her handlebar bag, picked on it as she rode...
>

LOL Sensible eating for a serious journey. It'll never catch on... ;-)

"Scotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> What are the things you guys and girls eat?

Fig rolls, chocolate coated raisins, Nutrigrain bars. Best of all, Tesco's organic malt loaf (cut
into four pieces beforehand).

Mark Burch

> What are the things you guys and girls eat? Is commercial stuff worth what you pay for it? Last
> year I tried some sort of power bar thing at the top
of
> Ditchling Beacon and it was pretty foul... Is there good stuff you can
make
> at home?

Bananas, Jordans Frusli Bars and for a days outing High5 www.highfive.co.uk . Fruslis come in a
variety of ingredients are available from most supermarkets, don't cost a fortune and you can take a
load with you 'cos they travel well so if you don't eat 'em all they'll keep for another day.

P*werbars......hughie.

Pete

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:17:07 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

>When my wife did the Paris-Brest, back in '75, there weren't any powerbars, so she put an entire
>roasted chicken into her handlebar bag, picked on it as she rode...

Hey, now you have the new Smoothline(TM) Chin you could prolly get away with that too :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

> Gday all,
>
> maybe the vast knowledge here can give me some ideas! Last year I did the London - Brighton and
> stopped to eat a bit,(actually a bit of cake, a bit
of
> a sausage sandwich.... etc...) but this year I would like to pretty much with only maybe one or
> two stops for water and snack on stuff on the way. I've heard its better on the stomach and better
> overall.
>
> What are the things you guys and girls eat? Is commercial stuff worth what you pay for it? Last
of
make
> at home?
>
> all the best
>
> Scotty
>
> PS - it took myself and a freind 7 hours 20 minutes to get down there last year. I hope to improve
> on this as I actually have my own bike this year, and have been training (thats also to do with
> a medical condition too..but wont go into that in detail!)
>
>
>
>
=============
Chocolate digestive biscuits and / or Mars bars.

Cic.

"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When my wife did the Paris-Brest, back in '75, there weren't any powerbars, so she put an entire
>
> Sheldon "Too Messy For Me" Brown

Not good -- too much protein & not enough carbs.

Sheldon Brown wrote:

Was it the one she cought and plucked on the '74?

~PB

Scotty wrote:

>Gday all,
>
>maybe the vast knowledge here can give me some ideas! Last year I did the London - Brighton and
>stopped to eat a bit,(actually a bit of cake, a bit of a sausage sandwich.... etc...) but this year
>I would like to pretty much with only maybe one or two stops for water and snack on stuff on the
>way. I've heard its better on the stomach and better overall.
>
>What are the things you guys and girls eat? Is commercial stuff worth what you pay for it? Last
>year I tried some sort of power bar thing at the top of Ditchling Beacon and it was pretty foul...
>Is there good stuff you can make at home?

Crazy Jack organic apricots - they don't make you thirsty.

Malt loaf.
--
remove remove to reply

..diluted orange juice (1:2 parts water) and fig rolls. These can be too dry though so sometimes
prefer Jaffer Cakes. You get almost 30% extra carbs in a fig roll which means you carry less, but
the Jaffers are a pleasure to eat so you want more.

> Gday all,
>
> maybe the vast knowledge here can give me some ideas! Last year I did the London - Brighton and
> stopped to eat a bit,(actually a bit of cake, a bit
of
> a sausage sandwich.... etc...) but this year I would like to pretty much with only maybe one or
> two stops for water and snack on stuff on the way. I've heard its better on the stomach and better
> overall.
>
of
make
> at home?
>
> all the best
>
> Scotty
>
> PS - it took myself and a freind 7 hours 20 minutes to get down there last year. I hope to improve
> on this as I actually have my own bike this year, and have been training (thats also to do with
> a medical condition too..but wont go into that in detail!)
>

Yeah, I had stuff a bit like this last time I did the LB. Very big hangover, very little breakfast
but two water bottles full of energy drink and I was there in four hours or so. My mate - who had
been sensible and stayed in the night before - was rather annoyed at how chirpy I was and knackered
he was by the end.

Be warned - this stuff makes you fat.

Si

Status
Not open for further replies.