Snacks on the bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Scotty, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. Scotty

    Scotty Guest

    Gday all,

    maybe the vast knowledge here can give me some ideas! Last year I did the London - Brighton and
    stopped to eat a bit,(actually a bit of cake, a bit of a sausage sandwich.... etc...) but this year
    I would like to pretty much with only maybe one or two stops for water and snack on stuff on the
    way. I've heard its better on the stomach and better overall.

    What are the things you guys and girls eat? Is commercial stuff worth what you pay for it? Last year
    I tried some sort of power bar thing at the top of Ditchling Beacon and it was pretty foul... Is
    there good stuff you can make at home?

    all the best

    Scotty

    PS - it took myself and a freind 7 hours 20 minutes to get down there last year. I hope to improve
    on this as I actually have my own bike this year, and have been training (thats also to do with a
    medical condition too..but wont go into that in detail!)

    Tags:

  2. Some swear by fruit, usually bananas. Supermarket cereal bars are little different from some of the
    stuff sold as "sports" nosh, and are lots cheaper. Power Bars are the work of Stan.

    One year, it took me eight hours to reach Brighton, though this did include a diversion to the pub
    in Plumpton Green. The return trip - straight up the A23 - took four hours from Madiera Drive to
    South Ken.

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/ Choc-Chip Tracker Bar Addict
    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  3. Chris Fryer

    Chris Fryer Guest

    I wouldn't go for anything complicated- bananas are awesome, keep you going for hours, as will
    a mars bar.

    --
    -- Chris

    > Some swear by fruit, usually bananas. Supermarket cereal bars are little different from some of
    > the stuff sold as "sports" nosh, and are lots cheaper. Power Bars are the work of Stan.
    >
    > One year, it took me eight hours to reach Brighton, though this did
    include
    > a diversion to the pub in Plumpton Green. The return trip - straight up
    the
    > A23 - took four hours from Madiera Drive to South Ken.
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/ Choc-Chip Tracker Bar Addict
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  4. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Chris Fryer wrote:
    > I wouldn't go for anything complicated- bananas are awesome, keep you going for hours, as will a
    > mars bar.

    I got some rather nice French fruit bars from Decathlon the other day. If it was a bit nearer to
    where I live I might buy them more frequently.

    -- Jim Price

  5. When my wife did the Paris-Brest, back in '75, there weren't any powerbars, so she put an entire
    roasted chicken into her handlebar bag, picked on it as she rode...

    Sheldon "Too Messy For Me" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
    | Check out my wife's tale of her experience |
    | in the 1975 Paris-Brest-Paris at: |
    | http://harrietfell.com/PBP1975.html |
    +----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  6. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > When my wife did the Paris-Brest, back in '75, there weren't any powerbars, so she put an entire
    > roasted chicken into her handlebar bag, picked on it as she rode...

    LOL Sensible eating for a serious journey. It'll never catch on... ;-)

  7. Mark Burch

    Mark Burch Guest

    "Scotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > What are the things you guys and girls eat?

    Fig rolls, chocolate coated raisins, Nutrigrain bars. Best of all, Tesco's organic malt loaf (cut
    into four pieces beforehand).

    Mark Burch

  8. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Scotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What are the things you guys and girls eat? Is commercial stuff worth what you pay for it? Last
    > year I tried some sort of power bar thing at the top
    of
    > Ditchling Beacon and it was pretty foul... Is there good stuff you can
    make
    > at home?

    Bananas, Jordans Frusli Bars and for a days outing High5 www.highfive.co.uk . Fruslis come in a
    variety of ingredients are available from most supermarkets, don't cost a fortune and you can take a
    load with you 'cos they travel well so if you don't eat 'em all they'll keep for another day.

    P*werbars......hughie.

    Pete

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:17:07 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When my wife did the Paris-Brest, back in '75, there weren't any powerbars, so she put an entire
    >roasted chicken into her handlebar bag, picked on it as she rode...

    Hey, now you have the new Smoothline(TM) Chin you could prolly get away with that too :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  10. Cicero

    Cicero Guest

    "Scotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Gday all,
    >
    > maybe the vast knowledge here can give me some ideas! Last year I did the London - Brighton and
    > stopped to eat a bit,(actually a bit of cake, a bit
    of
    > a sausage sandwich.... etc...) but this year I would like to pretty much with only maybe one or
    > two stops for water and snack on stuff on the way. I've heard its better on the stomach and better
    > overall.
    >
    > What are the things you guys and girls eat? Is commercial stuff worth what you pay for it? Last
    > year I tried some sort of power bar thing at the top
    of
    > Ditchling Beacon and it was pretty foul... Is there good stuff you can
    make
    > at home?
    >
    > all the best
    >
    > Scotty
    >
    > PS - it took myself and a freind 7 hours 20 minutes to get down there last year. I hope to improve
    > on this as I actually have my own bike this year, and have been training (thats also to do with
    > a medical condition too..but wont go into that in detail!)

    =============
    Chocolate digestive biscuits and / or Mars bars.

    Cic.

  11. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > When my wife did the Paris-Brest, back in '75, there weren't any powerbars, so she put an entire
    > roasted chicken into her handlebar bag, picked on it as she rode...
    >
    > Sheldon "Too Messy For Me" Brown

    Not good -- too much protein & not enough carbs.

  13. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > When my wife did the Paris-Brest, back in '75, there weren't any powerbars, so she put an entire
    > roasted chicken into her handlebar bag, picked on it as she rode...

    Was it the one she cought and plucked on the '74?

    ~PB

  14. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    Scotty wrote:

    >Gday all,
    >
    >maybe the vast knowledge here can give me some ideas! Last year I did the London - Brighton and
    >stopped to eat a bit,(actually a bit of cake, a bit of a sausage sandwich.... etc...) but this year
    >I would like to pretty much with only maybe one or two stops for water and snack on stuff on the
    >way. I've heard its better on the stomach and better overall.
    >
    >What are the things you guys and girls eat? Is commercial stuff worth what you pay for it? Last
    >year I tried some sort of power bar thing at the top of Ditchling Beacon and it was pretty foul...
    >Is there good stuff you can make at home?

    Crazy Jack organic apricots - they don't make you thirsty.

    Malt loaf.
    --
    remove remove to reply

  15. Casm85

    Casm85 Guest

    ..diluted orange juice (1:2 parts water) and fig rolls. These can be too dry though so sometimes
    prefer Jaffer Cakes. You get almost 30% extra carbs in a fig roll which means you carry less, but
    the Jaffers are a pleasure to eat so you want more.

    "Scotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Gday all,
    >
    > maybe the vast knowledge here can give me some ideas! Last year I did the London - Brighton and
    > stopped to eat a bit,(actually a bit of cake, a bit
    of
    > a sausage sandwich.... etc...) but this year I would like to pretty much with only maybe one or
    > two stops for water and snack on stuff on the way. I've heard its better on the stomach and better
    > overall.
    >
    > What are the things you guys and girls eat? Is commercial stuff worth what you pay for it? Last
    > year I tried some sort of power bar thing at the top
    of
    > Ditchling Beacon and it was pretty foul... Is there good stuff you can
    make
    > at home?
    >
    > all the best
    >
    > Scotty
    >
    > PS - it took myself and a freind 7 hours 20 minutes to get down there last year. I hope to improve
    > on this as I actually have my own bike this year, and have been training (thats also to do with
    > a medical condition too..but wont go into that in detail!)

  16. Blagger

    Blagger Guest

    Yeah, I had stuff a bit like this last time I did the LB. Very big hangover, very little breakfast
    but two water bottles full of energy drink and I was there in four hours or so. My mate - who had
    been sensible and stayed in the night before - was rather annoyed at how chirpy I was and knackered
    he was by the end.

    Be warned - this stuff makes you fat.

    Si