General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Sneaking in the nutrition

Started by Jessie Cally · · Last activity · 16 posts · 548 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 February 2005
Last activity
15 February 2005
Original author
Jessie Cally
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
548
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce up a
    meal nutrition wise?

  2. One thing I've been doing lately is adding a few tablespoons of ground
    flax seed and wheat germ to baked goods such as muffins, pancakes and
    breads, which increases fiber and omega 3 oils. Also, in general
    planning out my menu on a weekly basis allows me to take a look at each
    meal and the whole week to see we are getting a good balance of
    vegetables etc.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jessie Cally said:

    The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce up a
    meal nutrition wise?

    Cheese sauce? ;-)
    --
    K.

  4. Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jessie Cally said:

    The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce
    up a meal nutrition wise?

    Cheese sauce? ;-)

    You're evil! LOL

    Jill

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:
    Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jessie Cally said:

    The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce
    up a meal nutrition wise?

    Cheese sauce? ;-)

    You're evil! LOL

    Jill

    I know... ;-)

    But seriously, it's often easier to get kids to eat some steamed
    veggies, such as brocolli, cauliflower, asparagus and a few others, if
    one just dribbles a little bit of cheese sauce on it, and you can add
    flax oil and other "goodies" such as vitamin supplements to the cheese
    sauce.

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

    Quoted message said:

    ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=katra

  6. Jessie Cally said:

    The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce up a
    meal nutrition wise?

    I have an out-of-print book called, "Don't Tell 'Em It's Good For 'Em"
    that's a low-fat advocating cookbook. One thing I remember was their
    suggestion of putting vegetables, such as broccoli stems, carrots, etc.
    into a food processor, and use them as filler in meatloaves and meatballs.

    I'd be surprised if someone doesn't have this book for sale on eBay. Might
    want to look there. They've got a great recipe for Tarragon Chicken.

    Carol
    --
    "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
    'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
    Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

    *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

  7. Gal Called J.J. said:


    One time on Usenet said:

    The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce up a
    meal nutrition wise?

    I've been cutting back on saturated fats and using more monounsaturated
    fats...


    Try cutting out trans-fats.

    If family not used to it, gingerly introduce whole grains....like brown
    rice.

    Stick as close to the natural product. In otherwise: good honest Cheddar
    above CheezWhiz, roast chicken rather than a hot dog, apples cobbler
    rather than poptarts. Steamed veggies with a sprinkle of lemon juice and
    real butter, rather than a Bird'sEye frozen something in sauce.
    (As a rule of thumb, of course.)
    Want to add some richenss to a sandwich? slices of avocado rather than
    dressing. The simple avo is packed with nutrition.

    Start slowly, work into it....like broiled cheese sandwiches with
    lettuce and thin slice bell pepper (vit. C) put between just before
    slapping the two halves together instead of panfrying...with extra oil
    and no veggies in the center.

    Stop buying junk food for the kids to snack on. My mother had a bushel
    basket of fruit available at all times...usually apples, oranges or
    grapefruit. Another of her tricks was making her desserts protein rich:
    lemon souffle (good recipe in JOC) or custard, or a cobbler with a thin
    crust on top...more on the fruit side.

    Keep a "treat day". We had our main meal Sunday 1 pm, and in the
    evening, simple sandwiches and the treat: popcorn and "milkshakes" which
    where vanilla icecream, Hershey's syrup, milk, all beaten together in
    the "mix master" and poured into ceramic mugs and left to harden until
    My Favourite Martion came on. We ate them with a spoon, and watching
    daddy make them was half the fun...the anticipation of the treat in a
    few hours was amazing.
    blacksalt

  8. One time on Usenet said:

    The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce up a
    meal nutrition wise?

    I've been cutting back on saturated fats and using more monounsaturated
    fats...

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is
    filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF

  9. One time on Usenet said:
    Gal Called J.J. said:

    One time on Usenet, Jessie Cally <[email hidden]> said:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce up a
    meal nutrition wise?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been cutting back on saturated fats and using more monounsaturated
    fats...

    Quoted message said:

    Try cutting out trans-fats.

    Yes! I should have mentioned that too.

    Quoted message said:

    If family not used to it, gingerly introduce whole grains....like brown
    rice.

    <snip more good advice>

    I have to admit, I grew up thinking of brown rice as "hippy food"
    (sorry, I was born in the early '60's). I started trying to cook
    healthier a bit over a year ago, so I bit the bullet and gave it a
    try in a crock pot recipe. It's great!! It's just white rice with
    the fiber intact, has a gentle nutty flavor, and so much healthier.
    I'm starting to look closer at other foods I've missed due to my
    ignorance...

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is
    filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF

  10. Whenever we make ground beef, esp for taco's, we use a food processor and
    grind up a can of beans, usually the "small white" and mix it right in. It
    adds a
    wonderful texture and the kids don't even know it's there. The last time we
    had taco's at a friends without, my wife and I both felt 'somthing' was
    missing.
    HM

  11. Jessie Cally said:

    The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce up a
    meal nutrition wise?

    You don't give a lot of information. The diet that's great for one
    person might be horrible for the next. What do you know about your
    family's specific needs? One child might be getting too many calories
    and would do best with skim milk. Another child might not be getting
    enough calories and could use whole milk or cream. Some kids need more
    fiber in their diet; others need less. Does anyone in your family have
    symptoms that you think could be eliminated with different nutrition?
    I'm thinking of symptoms such as being underweight or overweight or not
    growing or always being cranky or never having any energy or getting
    diarrhea or being constipated. Even with symptoms such as those, diet
    is one possible cause; there could be others.

    If everyone is healthy, it is likely that you're engaging in useless
    worry because it makes you feel like a better mother, not because it is
    doing anything to help your family. If you have a specific concern, let
    us know what it is so we can offer tips that help.

    --Lia

  12. Jessie Cally said:

    The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce


    up a

    Quoted message said:

    meal nutrition wise?

    Serve beer and chocolate at every meal.

  13. Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:
    Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Jessie Cally <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    > enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce
    > up a meal nutrition wise?

    Cheese sauce? ;-)

    You're evil! LOL

    Jill

    I know... ;-)

    But seriously, it's often easier to get kids to eat some steamed
    veggies, such as brocolli, cauliflower, asparagus and a few others, if
    one just dribbles a little bit of cheese sauce on it, and you can add
    flax oil and other "goodies" such as vitamin supplements to the cheese
    sauce.


    Good point. I don't know, maybe it's just me. My mom didn't have trouble
    getting us to eat much in the way of veggies so it's hard for me to imagine
    having to "sneak" in nutrition.

    Jill

  14. "Jessie Cally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The longer I am a mother, the more I worry about my family getting
    enough nutrition. What tips and tricks does everybody use to spruce up a
    meal nutrition wise?

    If the kids are old enough to watch and help, grow some vegetables. Veggies
    are more interesting when they've been an all-summer project. Then they can
    have a place of honor on the plate and not be sneaked in at all.

    Kathy

  15. Absolutely on the veggies! I grew up *loving* lima beans becasue we
    grew/picked/shelled them ourselves. When I got to kindergarden, I was
    baffled by how many kids hated them. When I saw the canned type, I
    understood...

  16. KeemunBLK said:

    Absolutely on the veggies! I grew up *loving* lima beans becasue we
    grew/picked/shelled them ourselves. When I got to kindergarden, I was
    baffled by how many kids hated them. When I saw the canned type, I
    understood...

    That'll do it. My mom didn't buy peas except in a can. The first time I
    tasted fresh peas (I was out to dinner) I could scarcely believe they were
    the same thing I 'hated' as a kid. Although I'd always liked lima beans, I
    planted a couple of rows of them in Mom's flower garden and watched them
    grow when I was oh, maybe 8. I was fascinated. Probably would have wanted
    to taste them if I hadn't already liked them. Of course, not everyone can
    grow the stuff they would like their kids to eat.

    Jill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.