UK and Europe · Public discussion

snoring in youth hostels

Started by bowerm · · Last activity · 51 posts · 1,920 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
25 October 2004
Last activity
20 November 2004
Original author
bowerm
Posts
51
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,920
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 51
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. i'm just back home in san francisco bay area after a marvelous trip to
    scotland and england where i stayed in four youth hostels over the
    course of two weeks. i just love youth hosteling international...but i
    have one question. is there nothing that can be done about hostelers
    who have major...and i mean major...snoring problems. i went to bed
    early one night at the st. pancras hostel in london and was woken up
    by the bunk literally shaking due to the snoring of the man in the
    bunk below. i tried to sleep through it but it was impossible! after
    an hour or so of this i went to the reception desk and asked to be
    moved but the attendant said there were no open beds and nothing that
    could be done about the snorer! another roommate told me the next
    morning (after i slept on the couch in the lounge!) that the snorer
    told him of his problem when they first met. so? at that point you've
    already paid for your bed. seems to me hostel reception could post a
    polite sign at the desk asking snorers to identify themselves as such
    so they could be bunked in the same room. i had this same problem at
    the youth hostel in santa cruz, california, earlier this year. the
    snoring was so loud from another roommate that i actually left the
    hostel at 12:30am and went and got a very expensive motel room. any
    other suggestions?

    sleepy in california

  2. bowerm said:

    any other suggestions?

    Ear plugs.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. bowerm wrote:
    <SNIP

    Quoted message said:

    seems to me hostel reception could post a
    polite sign at the desk asking snorers to identify themselves as such
    so they could be bunked in the same room.


    <SNIP>

    Almost everybody snores. I'll bet you do too, only you don't hear it....
    you're asleep.

    --

    Geoff

  4. That brings back memories. Twenty years ago I toured Southern Ireland. I
    stayed in a hostel where an enormous German - and I mean bloody enormous,
    kept the whole of the men's dorm awake. I picked up my mattress and slept in
    the common room. It makes me chuckle now but sure as hell didn't then.

  5. Quoted message said:

    any
    other suggestions?

    Ear plugs again.

    Maybe listen to music on headphones to lull you to sleep (never works for
    me, just end up awake for hours listening to the music).

    A pillow. Place over their head. Wait for snoring to stop. Leave really
    early in the morning before anyone else wakes up. Best to sign in under a
    fake name with that one.

    Hit them until they wake up. Hope you get to sleep before them.

    Lace their coffee with a bit of extra caffeine. If they can't sleep they
    can't snore.

    Grow your hair. Shave before you go to the hostel. Try to get a bunk in
    the girls dorm.

    Comb your hair, shave and wash. Try to get invited to a bunk in the girls
    dorm.

    Carry the snorer's bed into the corridoor/street/rooftop/nearby canal.
    You'll need help with this (shouldn't be a problem tho - even his mates'll
    help you get the bugger out).

  6. Mark Thompson said:

    A pillow. Place over their head. Wait for snoring to stop. Leave really
    early in the morning before anyone else wakes up. Best to sign in under a
    fake name with that one.

    Wish I'd thought of this one in Trondheim in '95...

    --
    If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.

  7. Had teh same problem in Ambleside YH once, the whole dorm was awake, when someone sleepily called out 'toothpaste!'. When questioned the response was that shoving toothpaste up the snores nose would shut him up :-)

    Bryan

  8. Bryan said:


    Had teh same problem in Ambleside YH once, the whole dorm was awake,
    when someone sleepily called out 'toothpaste!'. When questioned the
    response was that shoving toothpaste up the snores nose would shut him
    up :-)

    Heh. Only time i was in Ambleside i took a 4-bed room. Not that it did
    much good, I shared it with a corpse (well, I never saw him awake in 5
    days, even during the day, which was a little scary) and a kid who ate
    something that strongly disagreed with him, and from the second night on
    kept getting up and turning the light on to go to the loo every half-hour...

    The gods were trying to tell me something, I guess. I switched to B&Bs
    from then on.

    --
    A Puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is
    having fun.

  9. I remember once I was occupying a bottom bunk. I must have had a funny dream
    or something because I was convinced I was trapped inside some kind of box.
    When I woke up I was actually pushing the bed above me off it's frame by at
    least a couple of inches. The German guy in the top bunk never said a word
    about it but he must have thought I was some kind of maniac or something. I
    think you got off lucky. 🙂

    "bowerm" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    i'm just back home in san francisco bay area after a marvelous trip to
    scotland and england where i stayed in four youth hostels over the
    course of two weeks. i just love youth hosteling international...but i
    have one question. is there nothing that can be done about hostelers
    who have major...and i mean major...snoring problems. i went to bed
    early one night at the st. pancras hostel in london and was woken up
    by the bunk literally shaking due to the snoring of the man in the
    bunk below. i tried to sleep through it but it was impossible! after
    an hour or so of this i went to the reception desk and asked to be
    moved but the attendant said there were no open beds and nothing that
    could be done about the snorer! another roommate told me the next
    morning (after i slept on the couch in the lounge!) that the snorer
    told him of his problem when they first met. so? at that point you've
    already paid for your bed. seems to me hostel reception could post a
    polite sign at the desk asking snorers to identify themselves as such
    so they could be bunked in the same room. i had this same problem at
    the youth hostel in santa cruz, california, earlier this year. the
    snoring was so loud from another roommate that i actually left the
    hostel at 12:30am and went and got a very expensive motel room. any
    other suggestions?

    sleepy in california

  10. "Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bryan said:


    Had teh same problem in Ambleside YH once, the whole dorm was awake,
    when someone sleepily called out 'toothpaste!'. When questioned the
    response was that shoving toothpaste up the snores nose would shut him
    up :-)

    Heh. Only time i was in Ambleside i took a 4-bed room. Not that it did
    much good, I shared it with a corpse (well, I never saw him awake in 5
    days, even during the day, which was a little scary) and a kid who ate
    something that strongly disagreed with him, and from the second night on
    kept getting up and turning the light on to go to the loo every
    half-hour...

    The gods were trying to tell me something, I guess. I switched to B&Bs
    from then on.

    Hehehe. Arent Youth Hostels fun places.

    Quoted message said:


    --
    A Puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is
    having fun.

  11. Just 2 words : ear plugs

    bowerm said:

    i'm just back home in san francisco bay area after a marvelous trip to
    scotland and england where i stayed in four youth hostels over the
    course of two weeks. i just love youth hosteling international...but i
    have one question. is there nothing that can be done about hostelers
    who have major...and i mean major...snoring problems. i went to bed
    early one night at the st. pancras hostel in london and was woken up
    by the bunk literally shaking due to the snoring of the man in the
    bunk below. i tried to sleep through it but it was impossible! after
    an hour or so of this i went to the reception desk and asked to be
    moved but the attendant said there were no open beds and nothing that
    could be done about the snorer! another roommate told me the next
    morning (after i slept on the couch in the lounge!) that the snorer
    told him of his problem when they first met. so? at that point you've
    already paid for your bed. seems to me hostel reception could post a
    polite sign at the desk asking snorers to identify themselves as such
    so they could be bunked in the same room. i had this same problem at
    the youth hostel in santa cruz, california, earlier this year. the
    snoring was so loud from another roommate that i actually left the
    hostel at 12:30am and went and got a very expensive motel room. any
    other suggestions?

    sleepy in california

  12. Peter Clinch said:
    bowerm said:

    any other suggestions?

    Ear plugs.

    I couldn't imagine sleeping in a dorm without earplugs.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

  13. Taking a moment's reflection, nobody760 mused:
    |
    | That brings back memories. Twenty years ago I toured Southern Ireland. I
    | stayed in a hostel where an enormous German - and I mean bloody enormous,
    | kept the whole of the men's dorm awake. I picked up my mattress and slept
    | in the common room. It makes me chuckle now but sure as hell didn't then.

    Reminds me of staying in a hostel in Dublin during, what I dubbed, the
    24 Hours of Noise Festival ... I was down in the Temple Bar area staying at
    Barnacles. It was bad enough that this was the night that they rolled the
    empty Guinness kegs down the brick road, but we had a snorer as well.

    Likely as big as your German was, this Argentinean was small. But,
    lord, could he belt out a snore. At that point it had become so obnoxious,
    I began chuckling to myself. A moment later, I could hear the lass (co-ed)
    in the bunk below chuckling as well. So, we decided to go tap into my
    whisky flask instead of lying there in futility.

  14. mhicaoidh said:

    A moment later, I could hear
    the lass (co-ed) in the bunk below chuckling as well. So, we decided
    to go tap into my whisky flask

    So there you go; ain't all bad!

  15. bowerm said:

    i'm just back home in san francisco bay area...

    Quoted message said:

    ...any other suggestions?

    Wake him up and kiss him goodnight.
    He should lie awake worrying, allowing you a good night's sleep.

    --
    Eiron.

  16. Mark Thompson said:

    Comb your hair, shave and wash. Try to get invited to a bunk in the girls
    dorm.


    That won't work - women snore too, I do occasionally.
    --
    No more things should be presumed to exist than are absolutely necessary.
    William of Occam
    Steph Peters delete invalid from [email hidden]
    Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm>

  17. ear plugs and wake the person up and ask him to sleep on his side, less
    snoring, but a pillow our daypack at his side so turning is not posible
    "bowerm" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    i'm just back home in san francisco bay area after a marvelous trip to
    scotland and england where i stayed in four youth hostels over the
    course of two weeks. i just love youth hosteling international...but i
    have one question. is there nothing that can be done about hostelers
    who have major...and i mean major...snoring problems. i went to bed
    early one night at the st. pancras hostel in london and was woken up
    by the bunk literally shaking due to the snoring of the man in the
    bunk below. i tried to sleep through it but it was impossible! after
    an hour or so of this i went to the reception desk and asked to be
    moved but the attendant said there were no open beds and nothing that
    could be done about the snorer! another roommate told me the next
    morning (after i slept on the couch in the lounge!) that the snorer
    told him of his problem when they first met. so? at that point you've
    already paid for your bed. seems to me hostel reception could post a
    polite sign at the desk asking snorers to identify themselves as such
    so they could be bunked in the same room. i had this same problem at
    the youth hostel in santa cruz, california, earlier this year. the
    snoring was so loud from another roommate that i actually left the
    hostel at 12:30am and went and got a very expensive motel room. any
    other suggestions?

    sleepy in california

  18. "Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bryan said:


    Had teh same problem in Ambleside YH once, the whole dorm was awake,
    when someone sleepily called out 'toothpaste!'. When questioned the
    response was that shoving toothpaste up the snores nose would shut him
    up :-)

    Heh. Only time i was in Ambleside i took a 4-bed room. Not that it did
    much good, I shared it with a corpse (well, I never saw him awake in 5
    days, even during the day, which was a little scary) and a kid who ate
    something that strongly disagreed with him, and from the second night on
    kept getting up and turning the light on to go to the loo every
    half-hour...


    That's funny, the only time I stayed in Ambleside, I woke up with toothpaste
    up my nose. . . .

    druidh

  19. bob watkinson said:


    I remember once I was occupying a bottom bunk. I must have had a funny dream
    or something because I was convinced I was trapped inside some kind of box.
    When I woke up I was actually pushing the bed above me off it's frame by at
    least a couple of inches. The German guy in the top bunk never said a word
    about it but he must have thought I was some kind of maniac or something. I
    think you got off lucky. 🙂

    That is brilliant!

    --
    "It's too late
    to be late again

  20. (bowerm) said:

    i'm just back home in san francisco bay area after a marvelous trip to
    scotland and england where i stayed in four youth hostels over the
    course of two weeks. i just love youth hosteling international...but i
    have one question. is there nothing that can be done about hostelers
    who have major...and i mean major...snoring problems. i went to bed
    early one night at the st. pancras hostel in london and was woken up
    by the bunk literally shaking due to the snoring of the man in the
    bunk below. i tried to sleep through it but it was impossible! after
    an hour or so of this i went to the reception desk and asked to be
    moved but the attendant said there were no open beds and nothing that
    could be done about the snorer! another roommate told me the next
    morning (after i slept on the couch in the lounge!) that the snorer
    told him of his problem when they first met. so? at that point you've
    already paid for your bed. seems to me hostel reception could post a
    polite sign at the desk asking snorers to identify themselves as such
    so they could be bunked in the same room. i had this same problem at
    the youth hostel in santa cruz, california, earlier this year. the
    snoring was so loud from another roommate that i actually left the
    hostel at 12:30am and went and got a very expensive motel room. any
    other suggestions?

    sleepy in california

    I'd say you got off lightly.

    Compare this to my friend who in a hostel in Cesky Krumlov last year.
    He sleepwalked in a drunken slumber down some stairs into another dorm
    and proceeded to [censored] on someone elses bed while they were sleeping in
    it (apparently it was difficult to find the toilet in his sleep??).
    There was a note posted when we woke up which read 'To the scum who
    urinated on the dorm last night, I know who you are and I expect an
    apology today'. He called his bluff and didn't apologise, and was
    never found out.

    --
    "It's too late
    to be late again

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.