General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

So what made you gain weight?

Started by Joe the Aroma · · Last activity · 14 posts · 363 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 February 2006
Last activity
8 February 2006
Original author
Joe the Aroma
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
363
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What were the circumstances and what was the food? For me it was going to
    college and eating plain nacho chips and salsa. Used to have them every
    night.

  2. Joe the Aroma said:

    What were the circumstances and what was the food? For me it was going to
    college and eating plain nacho chips and salsa. Used to have them every
    night.

    I was always heavy (overweight), but I tilted into obese territory
    over the last two years when I was doing a psychology internship and
    fellowship out-of-state. Previously, my big carb-vices were "merely"
    crackers, chips (Doritos primarily), and carby foods like pizza or
    pasta. When I was away, I found myself eating sometimes (yes, I'm
    ashamed to admit) *TWO* king-sized candy bars per evening, many
    evenings a week. In retrospect, I think I was a bit homesick - also,
    the internship and post-doc was done primarily away from the wife.

    260/205/200

  3. I have had a weight problem since I was in elementary school. At some
    point, something in my metabolism just changed and has been that way
    ever since.

    This got worse for me when after I graduated from college and got my
    first real job. Instead of walking for miles every day and enaging in
    other physical activies I was sitting on my butt.

    Since that time, I have discovered that I believe myself to have a high
    sensitivity to carbohydrates. I have (relatively easilly) lost
    significant amounts of weight by following an LC regimine a couple of
    times in the past. For some reason, though, over time I got away from
    it and put it back on over the course of a couple of years. For me,
    the normal American diet doesn't put on the 1 - 2 lbs per year but
    about 10x times that. I would seldom eat junk food. For me it was the
    normal having some bread or rice or potatoes in normal amounts that
    would do it. Granted, I think eating those items would make me consume
    greater quantities than I probably should have but in the sense that I
    didn't eat till I was uncomfortable, just satisfied, I wasn't over
    eating. Even now, it doesn't take a whole lot of even good carbs for
    me to gain 5 - 6 lbs of water weight. I pretty much stay with the
    induction approach though I add some fruit or have a wheat wrap
    sandwhich or add a few beans occasionally. About once a month or so,
    usually when my wife gets a real craving for something I will eat
    something more decadent like have some real beer and bread with a meal
    and possibly dessert, even though I am certain to feel like [censored] for
    the next day or so. If nothing else, it is a reminder of why I chose
    to give up eating that stuff on a daily basis.

  4. Joe the Aroma said:

    What were the circumstances and what was the food? For me it was going to
    college and eating plain nacho chips and salsa. Used to have them every
    night.


    Funny you asked. I was actually pointing that out in my head.
    AFter having lost 24kg (54lbs) on a LowCarb diet in 2 years,
    I gained back let's says 3/4 of that.
    Reasonzzzz were: Very deep trouble for some of my parents, forced
    moving, forced to find a new appartment (of course), stopped smoking,
    divorce of my parents (on top of the trouble), and I got away from my
    dearest friend for an obscure reason.
    Ok, nobody died, you'll say.
    True. But it happened all during the same month.

    Pancakes and pizza was all I would eat between October and Christmas.
    No need to say how I got fat again....

    Huey

  5. EVERYTHING JC says is not low carb
    "Joe the Aroma" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What were the circumstances and what was the food? For me it was going to
    college and eating plain nacho chips and salsa. Used to have them every
    night.

  6. "Joe the Aroma" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What were the circumstances and what was the food? For me it was going to
    college and eating plain nacho chips and salsa. Used to have them every
    night.


    I've always had a weight problem from being about 7 yrs old (when my dad
    died and we moved house to a rough neigbourhood).
    My mum was the Queen of the frying pan and pilled up loads of crispy
    pancakes, burgers, sausages etc and twinned them with chips, baked beans and
    loads of white bread! Occationally she'd make pies, stew with lots of
    dumplings or roasts with sack loads of yorkshire puds! She treated
    everything with food......if I was sad........have a biscuit. I wasn't
    allowed to go out until I cleared my plate. She was a lovely lady but so
    miss-informed.
    For ages I thought this was the way to eat. It's taken me ages to learn it
    isn't. I am that person who did 'every diet' lost a bit and put it back on
    with MORE!
    I tried eveything including fasting (my eldest sister swears by it even
    now!).
    Now I'm back to Atkins, the only diet that has ever really worked for me.
    Regards to all,
    Denise

    .................................................................
    Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<


    -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

  7. Mexican food, I had it everyday for lunch!

    Also addicted to Ruffles and chipdip plus lots of wholewheat toast for
    breakfast.

    Lets not mention French Fries every other day? :-o

    --
    LC again since 1/14/06
    277/261/220

  8. So what made you gain weight was your inability to moderate your consumption
    of your favorite foods, right? 🙂

    "DB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Mexican food, I had it everyday for lunch!

    Also addicted to Ruffles and chipdip plus lots of wholewheat toast for
    breakfast.

    Lets not mention French Fries every other day? :-o

    --
    LC again since 1/14/06
    277/261/220

  9. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    So what made you gain weight was your inability to moderate your
    consumption of your favorite foods, right? 🙂

    Not really. After having been on Atkins maintenance for several years at one
    point (back in 80s), I had a bad run-in with a cheesecake. That threw me
    "off the wagon" a fact which, combined with personal (work-related)
    problems, sent me into a carbohydrate hell that it took me nearly a decade
    to extricate myself from. During that period I went from my Atkins "normal"
    weight of 210 to 275+. After 227 weeks, I'm still 10 pounds away from that
    210 figure although I did reach it (briefly) at one point.

    --
    Bob
    http://www.kanyak.com

  10. Joe the Aroma said:

    What were the circumstances and what was the food? For me it was going to
    college and eating plain nacho chips and salsa. Used to have them every
    night.

    Normal circumstances. I was a new father so I actively tried to "eat
    healthy" and not eat a lot.

    I would skip breakfast entirely. Lunch would be one or two white bread
    sandwiches with a tiny amount of margarine and a small amount of lean
    meat, and usually a soda (low fat, eh). Supper would usually be a
    low-fat pasta dish with low fat sauce, or a small amount of lean meat
    with lots of low-fat potatoes, some veggies and white bread. Snacks
    would be low-fat crackers, wheat thins, sandwiches etc. When I was
    really trying to lose weight, I would seriously cut back on the
    portions. Still gained weight, though, in spite of starving myself.

    I now eat seriously copious amounts of real meats, real fats, and real
    vegetables with very little or no pasta, bread or soda or other refined
    or manufactured foods. My weight is very steady and where I want it to
    be. Has been for over five years and I've never felt starved or hungry.
    I've never been healthier. We went from dozens of prescriptions per
    year to ZERO.

    TC

  11. Except for the name...this could have been my write-up.

    Spot on, "tunderbar"!

    DustyB

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    ....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What were the circumstances and what was the food? For me it was
    going to
    college and eating plain nacho chips and salsa. Used to have them
    every
    night.

    Normal circumstances. I was a new father so I actively tried to
    "eat
    healthy" and not eat a lot.

    I would skip breakfast entirely. Lunch would be one or two white
    bread
    sandwiches with a tiny amount of margarine and a small amount of
    lean
    meat, and usually a soda (low fat, eh). Supper would usually be a
    low-fat pasta dish with low fat sauce, or a small amount of lean
    meat
    with lots of low-fat potatoes, some veggies and white bread.
    Snacks
    would be low-fat crackers, wheat thins, sandwiches etc. When I was
    really trying to lose weight, I would seriously cut back on the
    portions. Still gained weight, though, in spite of starving
    myself.

    I now eat seriously copious amounts of real meats, real fats, and
    real
    vegetables with very little or no pasta, bread or soda or other
    refined
    or manufactured foods. My weight is very steady and where I want
    it to
    be. Has been for over five years and I've never felt starved or
    hungry.
    I've never been healthier. We went from dozens of prescriptions
    per
    year to ZERO.

    TC

  12. I was never more than 25 to 30 pounds above my ideal weight until about
    10 years ago. I got hit with a double whammy. First, my mother was
    diagnosed with breast cancer and I worked a full time job and took care
    of her through surgery, chemo, radiation, more chemo, etc. etc. I
    didn't have time to exercise like I use to and I initially attributed
    my weight gain to that. But then I gained about 50 pounds in one year,
    plus I was falling asleep at my desk and my hair was falling out. It
    took me about 2 years, but I finally found a doctor that would test my
    thyroid function and SURPRISE, it was way low. I have Hashimoto's, an
    auto-immune disease that attacks the thyroid. My weight continued to
    creep up slowly because, I confess, I was eating my stress away as I
    watched my mother waste away. She passed away in 2004. It also took
    me a few years to find a doctor that would prescribe the best thyroid
    supplement for me.

    I topped out at 265 on my 5' 6" frame. I feel my ideal weight is a
    solid fit 140 to 150. I'm at 250 now and I turned 49 on Jan. 28th.
    I'm ready to make this the year that the weight finally comes OFF. I'm
    shooting to be 150 by my 50th birthday. Low carb is the only thing
    that's ever worked for me, so I'm declaring my intentions TODAY. And
    if anyone wants to chip in for my tummy tuck next year, just let me
    know 😉

  13. Joe the Aroma said:

    What were the circumstances and what was the food? For me it was going to
    college and eating plain nacho chips and salsa. Used to have them every
    night.

    I was chubby all my life but things really got out of control in my
    late 20's sitting on my ass all day at an office desk job and eating
    crappy cafeteria food. Typical lunch menu consisted of a fat greasy
    burger with fries, slice of cake or pie for dessert and a 24oz soda.
    I eventually ballooned up to 345lbs and wore size 46 jeans. Finally
    decided one day that I've had enough and wanted to lose the weight so
    I avoided the cafeteria altogether, started taking brisk walks during
    my lunch and breaks instead and did the exercise bike routine as often
    as I could during the week. I'm in my 30's now, still stuck in the
    same crappy job but I'm down to 177lbs now, wear size 33 jeans and
    been maintaining that weight for almost 2 years already.

    HAMBURGER
    345/177/180
    Started March'03

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I topped out at 265 on my 5' 6" frame. I feel my ideal weight is a
    solid fit 140 to 150. I'm at 250 now and I turned 49 on Jan. 28th.
    I'm ready to make this the year that the weight finally comes OFF. I'm
    shooting to be 150 by my 50th birthday. Low carb is the only thing
    that's ever worked for me, so I'm declaring my intentions TODAY. And
    if anyone wants to chip in for my tummy tuck next year, just let me
    know 😉

    Hi Paula, welcome to the group!

    --
    Saffire
    205/134/125
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.