So what's the street cred: Specialized WorksTarmac SL-2?

teamgomez

Aug 23, 2005
An '07 Specialized Works Tarmac SL2 just dropped in my lap for what I think is a decent price- would appreciate some opinions on the whole enchilada (goods/known others)

1. Campy Record group- just found out the damn chain tool is $150...YGTBSM. Shifts like a dream, tho, and getting used to the thumb shifters. Stops on a less than a dime...guessing there's a perennial DA/Record debate on here somewhere that I need to read...

2. Has that S-works integrated stem/handlebars...not a fan so far...prefer a narrower grip and how the hell is the bike supposed to break down to get in the travel case (I currently have to loosen the stem on my Madone and rotate it to get the lid to close)

3. Ksyrium SSC SL 'Tour De France' wheelset. Weighs about 6oz less than my FSA RD400's, but feels like there's glue in the hubset...the FSA's roll forever and and a day and the K's come to a halt pretty quickly on the stand....

4. Bike probably has about 500 miles on it...orig drivetrain and chain specs as new. No chips anywhere on the CF frameset (none under the top of the front tire/bottom side of front downtube)

Ride impressions: doesn't 'come out of the hole' like my Madone 5.2...feels like it is pulling a small anchor...attributing this to the rim hubs...would ceramic bearings cure this ill?

Shifts like a dream...drivetrain very quiet/smooth and as mentioned, the bike stops, like, yesterday...tracks truer than my Madone and doesn't feel as stiff as a Ridley Damocles that I rode last month. Curious if the power txfr is equivalent and the Ridley just rides rougher or?

Bike comes in at a hair under 16 lbs w/ pedals and no toolbag. Has a specialized CF compact crankset and comes w/ a campy 11/23 and an off-brand 11/26 (needed for Monterey and Boots Rd...).

Appreciate your thoughts, comments (and smart remarks, Roadhouse). What's a decent price for this sled?

~John

teamgomez said:
An '07 Specialized Works Tarmac SL2 just dropped in my lap for what I think is a decent price- would appreciate some opinions on the whole enchilada (goods/known others)

Street cred?

1. Campy Record group- just found out the damn chain tool is $150...YGTBSM. Shifts like a dream, tho, and getting used to the thumb shifters. Stops on a less than a dime...guessing there's a perennial DA/Record debate on here somewhere that I need to read...

Campy Record 10s is superb. That's what I use, and I love it. As for the chain tool, have a shop pin the chain. You can also buy a removable link from KMC or Forster....I think. Campy chains are great and last a mucho long time. The chain tool for 11s is the one that is $150. A Park, Pedros, or just about any other chain tool will work on the Campy 10s chain.

2. Has that S-works integrated stem/handlebars...not a fan so far...prefer a narrower grip and how the hell is the bike supposed to break down to get in the travel case (I currently have to loosen the stem on my Madone and rotate it to get the lid to close)

Make it easy on yourself. Get a stem and a handlebar in the size you want. Sell the one piece on eBay.

3. Ksyrium SSC SL 'Tour De France' wheelset. Weighs about 6oz less than my FSA RD400's, but feels like there's glue in the hubset...the FSA's roll forever and and a day and the K's come to a halt pretty quickly on the stand....

Well, Mavic does have one of the crappiest rear hub designs going; however, seeing how long a wheel will spin in a workstand tells you absolutely nothing about how it works on the road. The bearings are designed to work under a load, not to spin without load. Personally, you've got a wheelset that might command a few pesos on eBay just because the wheels say TdF on 'em. I'd sell 'em and buy some handbuilt wheels.

Ride impressions: doesn't 'come out of the hole' like my Madone 5.2...feels like it is pulling a small anchor...attributing this to the rim hubs...would ceramic bearings cure this ill?

This doesn't really tell you anything about the bike. The rider position on the bike might be different than what you're used to. It could be using different tires, with higher rolling resistance, than whatever tire you use. It could be a lot of things, but seat of the pants impressions don't necessarily correlate to anything real.

Shifts like a dream...drivetrain very quiet/smooth and as mentioned, the bike stops, like, yesterday...tracks truer than my Madone and doesn't feel as stiff as a Ridley Damocles that I rode last month. Curious if the power txfr is equivalent and the Ridley just rides rougher or?

I guarantee you the power transfer of the Madone, the Ridley, and the SL-2 are so close to each other you'd need measuring instruments to tell the difference. Frame flex doesn't eat up much power anyway. Frame stiffness is difficult to measure on the bike because the human body isn't a great sensor, and there are all manner of things that could be going on that might be mistaken as frame flex. Frame stiffness is just something that marketing people spit out to drive up the price of a bike.

It'd be better for you to say what the price of the bike is and hear everyone's opinion on whether that's a good price or not.

Alienator- thx for the feedback, appreciate your cut. That's great to hear about the chain tool...nice to know the one in my toolbox will work just fine. Just need to get my hands on a new cassette tool and figure out how a BB30 comes apart :)

Price right now is $2500 on the bike including an extra cassette (11/26 aftermarket) and all the manuals/shims for the handlebar set, etc. Framset doesn't have a mark on it; guessing there's less than 1000 miles on the bike (more like <500 but who knows?)

Thought about throwing on my normal tires (conti 4000) and see what difference (if any) that makes.

Thanks!

The price is a tough call. Campy, even 2006, commands quite a bit of dosh on eBay. You can get nearly $1000 parting out a Record group, so that value is a big chunk of the price. The extra cassette isn't worth a lot. New they cost about $180 at the lower end. That leaves a bit of room, yet, for the saddle, post, frame. $2000 would be a no-doubter. If I were you I'd offer a lower price. Even so, the price, as is, isn't outrageous. I think what it all boils down to is what you think of the bike, and what's its value to you. There's no doubt you'd be getting good kit.