Bike buying advice · Public discussion

soloist team or tarmac comp

Started by meandmybike · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,369 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
4 August 2006
Last activity
14 August 2006
Original author
meandmybike
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,369
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Looking for my first road bike in 20 years (mountain biker, not returning cyclist) and decided on the Specialized Tarmac Comp. Then someone went and mentioned imorting a bike from the US to the UK. For around £200 more than the Tarmac I could have an Ultegra spec Cervelo Soloist Team (this is *with* paying all the import taxes). :eek:

    I'd like to hear opinions from owners of either bike. The spec is higher on the Soloist but is the frame better/worse? Am I comparing apples and oranges?

    Going to use it for road racing and the occasional time trial.

    Thanks.

    Edit: I'm 1.85m and 73 kg.

  2. [quote="meandmybike"]Looking for my first road bike in 20 years (mountain biker, not returning cyclist) and decided on the Specialized Tarmac Comp. Then someone went and mentioned imorting a bike from the US to the UK. For around £200 more than the Tarmac I could have an Ultegra spec Cervelo Soloist Team (this is *with* paying all the import taxes). :eek:

    I'd like to hear opinions from owners of either bike. The spec is higher on the Soloist but is the frame better/worse? Am I comparing apples and oranges?


    Going to use it for road racing and the occasional time trial.

    Thanks.









    Hi,

    I purchased A Soloist Team Centaur and am very happy with my purchase. I did how ever spend about $1000.00 less than the price range you are looking at. The Specialized is a nice looking bike. I think you should ride both bikes and see which one you like best. I tested out five bikes that I researched and road 4 of them for about a half hour. Road the Solist two blocks and went back to the shop and bought it. Been happy with it ever since. Good luck!!!

    Mike

  3. Mike1970 said:

    Hi,

    I purchased A Soloist Team Centaur and am very happy with my purchase. I did how ever spend about $1000.00 less than the price range you are looking at. The Specialized is a nice looking bike. I think you should ride both bikes and see which one you like best. I tested out five bikes that I researched and road 4 of them for about a half hour. Road the Solist two blocks and went back to the shop and bought it. Been happy with it ever since. Good luck!!!

    Mike


    Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately my nearest Cervelo dealer is over 200 miles away so a test ride isn't practical.

  4. I just bought the Soloist Carbon [no test ride] and LOVE it! The only thing is to have it porperly fitted and change the seat!!!! [I lost *all* sensation downstairs in the first 30kms - tried two more rides and that was it!]

    But otherwise - a *great* bike! see www.roadbikereview.com for more opinions....

  5. I have not ridden the Cervelo, so I cannot comment on the bike itself, but since they are made in Canada, would it not be less expensive to import one from Canada than from the US?

  6. RickF said:

    I have not ridden the Cervelo, so I cannot comment on the bike itself, but since they are made in Canada, would it not be less expensive to import one from Canada than from the US?

    Rick,

    Thanks for the suggestion. It actually would be more expensive to buy from Canada because the US shops seem to offer a better price.

    It's academic now anyway - I just bought a Giant TCR 2 composite with full Ultegra groupset and Shimano wheels for £1250. That's over £500 off. Woo-hoo! 😄

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.