[email hidden said:"]Ric,
I too may have got this wrong but Andys tables are for 5 sec, 1 min, 5 min and 20 min.
Andy has changed the last column variable several times -- the 20-mins is actually functional threshold, which is one hour power (or MLSS). i just can't recall which of the latter two it is.
Quoted post said:
That is the highest average power you can achieve at each time. I gather that 5% less than the 20 min power is about what you could do for 1 hour. I think Andy Coggan believes that this will correspond to lactate threshold but I can't remember his particular definition. A couple of mM maybe.
Myself and AC define LT virtually the same. If i'm in a lab i use 1 mmol/L over baseline level, which gives an LT of ~ 2.X mmol/L, whereas Andy uses (i believe) a fixed value of 2.5 mmol/L
Quoted post said:
As for Chris's power. Like you I did not know the test. However I thought that he may have been driven to anaerobic levels in which case I thought that his power may have been inflated well over his lactate threshold or 1 hour sustainable power. I hope I got this right.
John
assuming i understood chris's test correctly (i.e., some stepped test to exhaustion) then i'm well aware of the test. however, i have very limited data of people doing such tests, and consequently can't say that e.g., someone who reaches 440 W in that test would reach ~440 + X% in a MAP test or ~440 - Y% in a one hour TT.
Now that i've seen the some more of the test (like i said chris, i'm pretty busy at present and just flicking quickly through here) with a test that takes 47-mins to complete it'll undersestimate MAP a lot (as e.g., a VO2max test should be completed in ~ 15-mins) and then i have to wonder whether the test is continuous or discontinuous (and both will overestimate 1hr TT power).
Also, now that Chris has clarified to me that the 380 W is his threshold... i however, don't know how the tester is defining threshold...
bottom line is without knowing *exactly* what the test is and how various terms are defined we're taking a guess about what it means. all tests are very protocol dependent. in all honesty the testers should have answered chris's queries. certainly, that's what we do when we test...
ric