Sonora Pass in early November?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Sam Huffman, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. Sam Huffman

    Sam Huffman Guest

    I'm driving through California first week of November, and thought I
    might stop in Sonora for a ride to 395 and back. Can anyone tell me if
    the pass is generally open around this time?

    Thanks,
    Sam

    Tags:

  2. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Sam Huffman wrote:

    > I'm driving through California first week of November, and thought I
    > might stop in Sonora for a ride to 395 and back. Can anyone tell me if
    > the pass is generally open around this time?

    http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdates.htm

    If you do ride it, note that there is no food or water on the east
    side of the pass. Also, the ride from Sonora is roller hell. Many
    people drive to Dardanelle instead and start riding from there.

  3. Sam Huffman writes:

    > I'm driving through California first week of November, and thought I
    > might stop in Sonora for a ride to 395 and back. Can anyone tell me if
    > the pass is generally open around this time?

    Sometimes it is and often it is not. It all depends when the snow
    comes. By all means try it but watch the weather report unless you do
    an over and back the same day.

    http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/sr108

    If you want to do that, start at Strawberry or even Dardanelle. There
    are no ameneties at HWY395 unless you go north to Walker or south to
    Bridgeport about 20 miles.

    http://tinyurl.com/526dq
    http://tinyurl.com/43oab

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]

  4. Sam Huffman

    Sam Huffman Guest

    Terry Morse wrote:
    > Sam Huffman wrote:
    >

    >>I'm driving through California first week of November, and thought I
    >>might stop in Sonora for a ride to 395 and back. Can anyone tell me if
    >>the pass is generally open around this time?

    > http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdates.htm
    >
    > If you do ride it, note that there is no food or water on the east
    > side of the pass. Also, the ride from Sonora is roller hell. Many
    > people drive to Dardanelle instead and start riding from there.

    Thanks for the information; that's what I was looking for. I rode the
    Sonora -> 395 route last Wednesday, but didn't have time for the return
    trip (my wife was driving sag, and we were on the way to Truckee). I'd
    like to try both sides, and the ride back down to Sonora seems like a
    relaxing way to end the ride.

    If the weather is questionable, though, I may take your advice and start
    from Dardanelle instead.

    Thanks,
    Sam

  5. Sam Huffman

    Sam Huffman Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Sam Huffman writes:
    >

    >>I'm driving through California first week of November, and thought I
    >>might stop in Sonora for a ride to 395 and back. Can anyone tell me if
    >>the pass is generally open around this time?

    > Sometimes it is and often it is not. It all depends when the snow
    > comes. By all means try it but watch the weather report unless you do
    > an over and back the same day.
    >
    > http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/sr108
    >
    > If you want to do that, start at Strawberry or even Dardanelle. There
    > are no ameneties at HWY395 unless you go north to Walker or south to
    > Bridgeport about 20 miles.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/526dq
    > http://tinyurl.com/43oab
    >
    > Jobst Brandt
    > [email protected]

    Great; the topo maps are wonderful. Thanks,
    Sam