UK and Europe · Public discussion

Sora 7 speed STI double shifters.

Started by Howard Dean · · Last activity · 12 posts · 2,512 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
14 December 2003
Last activity
2 January 2004
Original author
Howard Dean
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,512
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi I'm looking to purchase a set of Sora 7 speed STI double shifters. The cheapest price I've seen
    on the net is £76.50, does anyone know of a cheaper place to purchase such items. Cheers,

    Howie....

  2. Howard Dean said:

    I'm looking to purchase a set of Sora 7 speed STI double shifters. The cheapest price I've seen on
    the net is £76.50, does anyone know of a cheaper place to purchase such items.

    £71.75 + £2.50 postage from www.parker-international.co.uk/shimano-framset.htm - Gears & Levers

    Alternatively, if using a cassette hub (as opposed to freewheel), Sora 8-speed STI (£67.90) could be
    used if cassette was re-spaced, or even Campagnolo Ergo* (£38/£46) if Campag mech used as well (£19
    or 2nd-hand). Unwanted shifter positions can simply be locked out by the derailleur's limit screw.

    * no need to re-space cassette for Campag 8-speed but 9-speed Ergos are slicker and more
    comfortable. For best results, don't mix pre 2001 with post 2001 Campag 8/9sp shifters and mechs.
    Campag front shifters are compatible with all front mechs and chainsets.

    cassette spacing info: www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

    ~PB

  3. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Howard Dean said:

    I'm looking to purchase a set of Sora 7 speed STI double shifters. The cheapest price I've seen
    on the net is £76.50, does anyone know of a cheaper place to purchase such items.

    Halfords were selling them off cheap earlier in the year but they were probably 8 speed. If you can
    find them old stock anywhere (SJS often have this sort of thing)I would be tempted to go for
    RSX/Rx100, they are better quality than Sora and had the two lever design used by the higher spec
    Shimano shifters. Alternatively buy the TdF Yellow bike from Halfords if there are any left and
    strip it for spares?

  4. In article said:
    Howard Dean said:

    I'm looking to purchase a set of Sora 7 speed STI double shifters. The cheapest price I've seen
    on the net is £76.50, does anyone know of a cheaper place to purchase such items.

    £71.75 + £2.50 postage from www.parker-international.co.uk/shimano-framset.htm - Gears & Levers

    Sheldon has them for slightly more than that, but does say "These sets include all 4 cables, and
    cable stop adaptors that fit standard down-tube shifter mounts", which most places I've seen don't.
    (That would rely on my avoiding shipping by having someone from our Boston office bring them over.)
    Sometime I want to test ride Sora and something else to decide whether I like the thumb button style
    or not (and then decide whether I can be bothered with upgrading to more than seven speeds or not),
    but I've been happy with my down-tube levers for years, so I'm in no rush, so the decision will
    probably be taken for me by no-one stocking 7-speed stuff anymore by the time I want some :-/.

  5. Alan Braggins said:
    Quoted message said:

    £71.75 + £2.50 postage from www.parker-international.co.uk/shimano-framset.htm - Gears & Levers

    Sheldon has them for slightly more than that, but does say "These sets include all 4 cables,
    and cable stop adaptors that fit standard down-tube shifter mounts", which most places I've
    seen don't.

    STI's (and Ergos) from anywhere *normally* include a full cable set and stops - whether the
    suppler mentions the fact or not, although it is worth checking to make sure for old stock or
    special offers.

    VAT plus Duty are payable if buying from the US, even if items are brought over personally.

    Quoted message said:

    Sometime I want to test ride Sora and something else to decide whether I like the thumb button
    style or not (and then decide whether I can be bothered with upgrading to more than seven speeds
    or not), but I've been happy with my down-tube levers for years, so I'm in no rush, so the
    decision will probably be taken for me by no-one stocking 7-speed stuff anymore by the time I want
    some :-/.

    As I mentioned, it is possible to use shifters with more speeds with a 7 (or 8) speed cassette. Lots
    of options either way.

    ~PB

  6. Thanks for replys

    Howie

  7. In article said:
    Alan Braggins said:
    Quoted message said:

    £71.75 + £2.50 postage from www.parker-international.co.uk/shimano-framset.htm - Gears & Levers

    Sheldon has them for slightly more than that, but does say "These sets include all 4 cables,
    and cable stop adaptors that fit standard down-tube shifter mounts", which most places I've
    seen don't.

    STI's (and Ergos) from anywhere *normally* include a full cable set and stops - whether the
    suppler mentions the fact or not, although it is worth checking to make sure for old stock or
    special offers.

    That's good to know. (I should have made it clearer that it was "don't say", not "don't include".)
    (I think last time I looked either Sheldon had them on offer or the pound was stronger against the
    dollar, as I remembered them being a bit cheaper before. But maybe my memory is just wrong.)

    Quoted message said:

    As I mentioned, it is possible to use shifters with more speeds with a 7 (or 8) speed cassette.
    Lots of options either way.

    Yep. Using 8 sprockets at 9-speed spacing has also been mentioned (though I've got a steel frame, so
    spreading it to take a wider cassette shouldn't be a problem).

    Quoted message said:

    VAT and duty

    It's within the personal allowance, but that would mean waiting till I have to go over there
    myself again.

  8. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Pete Biggs

    BHoward Dean said:

    I'm looking to purchase a set of Sora 7 speed STI double shifters. The cheapest price I've seen on
    the net is £76.50, does anyone know of a cheaper place to purchase such items.

    £71.75 + £2.50 postage from www.parker-international.co.uk/shimano-framset.htm - Gears & Levers

    Alternatively, if using a cassette hub (as opposed to freewheel), Sora 8-speed STI (£67.90) could be
    used if cassette was re-spaced, or even Campagnolo Ergo* (£38/£46) if Campag mech used as well (£19
    or 2nd-hand). Unwanted shifter positions can simply be locked out by the derailleur's limit screw.

    * no need to re-space cassette for Campag 8-speed but 9-speed Ergos are slicker and more
    comfortable. For best results, don't mix pre 2001 with post 2001 Campag 8/9sp shifters and mechs.
    Campag front shifters are compatible with all front mechs and chainsets.

    cassette spacing info: www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

    ~PB [/B]

    **************************************************
    I was using a 7 speed rsx groupset. When the left hand lever
    became faulty I replaced it with a bar-end lever. That worked just
    fine, but I didn't like the look of it.

    Eventually I managed to find some campag 8 speed record ergos,
    which, together with racing triple front and rear mech shifts just
    fine. (I've only got 7 out of the 8 on the ergo's ).

    Michael Anderson

    *************************************************

  9. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Howard Dean
    Hi I'm looking to purchase a set of Sora 7 speed STI double shifters. The cheapest price I've seen
    on the net is £76.50, does anyone know of a cheaper place to purchase such items. Cheers,

    Howie....

    (ust in case you can't get the sora levers you want).....
    Spa Cycles still sell Shimano rsx/rx100 levers double/triple.

    Michael Anderson

  10. anderson <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Howard Dean said:

    Hi I'm looking to purchase a set of Sora 7 speed STI double shifters. The cheapest price I've
    seen on the net is £76.50, does anyone know of a cheaper place to purchase such items. Cheers,
    Howie....

    (ust in case you can't get the sora levers you want)..... Spa Cycles still sell Shimano rsx/rx100
    levers double/triple.

    Michael Anderson

    I would personally go for those in preference to Sora, especially if they are 7 speed (I have both
    Rx100 and RSX on my two bikes,the only difference seems to be colour, and rx100 is 8spd). Only Sora
    has the Campag style thumb lever rather than twin finger levers among Shimano changers, but not
    having used it I don't know how well it works by comparison. Martin

  11. Hi, Thanks for all messages. I managed to get a set of Sora shifters from Ribble cycles by
    mailorder. Can't beleive how cheap Campag Ergopower Xenon shifters are!!! I considered upgrading
    to xenon ie rear mech, cassette, chain and wheel but the cost of a new wheel put me off at this
    time of year.

    Howie....

  12. 7 speed sora shifters available from the bike shed in
    Devon, £49.99.

    try www.bikeshed.co.uk

    Michael Anderson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.